Hello new member here

Hi all new member here my mates on here and pointed me to here... I bought a 51(2002) 1.4 tdi 75 ok it's been around the world but I don't mind.. it had the same issue most people on here seems to have... yet another blown intercooler... could this manifest as to much boost going through?? So I got to do it she keeps going into limp mode and I can hear turbo pressure leaking and the bottom hose is oily as is the bot of the intercooler and I can see the rubber sealing gasket blown from its seat between the Ali and the plastic bottom. Look a pig of job with bumper off an all and it's winter boooooo anyway be.l nice to meet up with local a2ers I'd like to get cruise fitted if she turns out to be ok after intercooler fix... I'm on the south coast I'm Chichester. Thanks for reading oh yes she's done 168k thanks in advance for any info and hope to contribute to this forum in due course

I'm doing my intercooler tomorrow paid £73 for it from buycarspares.co.uk on ebay

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Thanks just just, so may out there! Why do so many blow man? Not sure if my map sensor size yet am I right in saying they only come with the larger 19mm hole now for the larger sensor?

I remember my old Renault 18 turbo I would the actuator arm out on the threads so the waste gate was open more of the time thus more boost more of the time the turbo used to pink and over boost but went like stink until I blew the intercooler apart then no boost similar to this... only it triggers limp mode on modern cars with ecus nowowdays just wonder if it was overboosting to cause the bottom to come off

I doubt that the little garret turbo on the A2 as enough buff to blow the intercooler, suspect the failing intercooler is more to do with Aluminium corrosion

I doubt that the little garret turbo on the A2 as enough buff to blow the intercooler, suspect the failing intercooler is more to do with Aluminium corrosion
Agreed pmsl BTW I had to weld a cage around my old 18 turbo to stop it blowing I was such a **** when I look back now, thanks for all your comments so far BTW

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apparently yes the sensor hole is bigger I'll know more tomorrow and as for why they go everything does with age my new intercooler looks like there a metal piece over to stop the seal popping out

Apparently yes the sensor hole is bigger I'll know more tomorrow and as for why they go everything does with age my new intercooler looks like there a metal piece over to stop the seal popping out

Good luck tomorrow keep me posted ill be ordering mine tomorrow hopefully, possibly from gsf

So day 1 of the intercooler change only had 3 hours on it but got old one off and biggest problem was screws at the back of the intercooler i know one thats not going back in ha ha and theres screws everywhere i hope i remember where they all go all day on it tomorrow so we'll see.

So day 1 of the intercooler change only had 3 hours on it but got old one off and biggest problem was screws at the back of the intercooler i know one thats not going back in ha ha and theres screws everywhere i hope i remember where they all go all day on it tomorrow so we'll see.

Nice one just just what's it like to get the bumper off do the headlights need to come out? Mine was ordered today along with the 12mm sensor as mine is the old 19mm one

I did take the headlights out it's just easier for access and only takes 2 mins i can't get my sensor off of my old one so I'm picking a new one up tomorrow at least i know it will be ok then,there's four screws at the back of the intercooler i got 3 out but the top one fastening it to the top of the radiator was a right pain I'm not going to put it back in it Will be secure enough without it.

I did take the headlights out it's just easier for access and only takes 2 mins i can't get my sensor off of my old one so I'm picking a new one up tomorrow at least i know it will be ok then,there's four screws at the back of the intercooler i got 3 out but the top one fastening it to the top of the radiator was a right pain I'm not going to put it back in it Will be secure enough without it.

Did you need to remove the bumper? I'm gonna attack mine Saturday /Sunday... Hopefully I'll have some boost then and no limp mode and no oil leak

Yes bumper has to come off also the undertray as it's screwed to the inner arches have you seen the guide on here,i also had no boost and limp mode.

And a slight hiss from leaking air.. yes I think I have seen the guide on here, I will have another look at it my undertray is missing

Intercooler fitted and working one thing to watch my map sensor didn't just push in and i ended up breaking it with some more than gentle persuasion so 40 quid later sensor number 2 i recommend covering it in grease it then goes in i tried wd40 on the last one and it did nothing but the grease worked,I've yet to put the car back together but it runs and no hiss.

Intercooler fitted and working one thing to watch my map sensor didn't just push in and i ended up breaking it with some more than gentle persuasion so 40 quid later sensor number 2 i recommend covering it in grease it then goes in i tried wd40 on the last one and it did nothing but the grease worked,I've yet to put the car back together but it runs and no hiss.

Well done just just! I'm attacking mine over the weekend also ordered a new stat so hopefully it will warm up quicker. Keep us posted as to how it runs thanks for the advice on the sensor I'll grease mine up to then if it's tight.

Just just how is the a2 behaving? I'm still waiting for my parts... I hope there dispatched tomorrow..

I've got the car back together tip for today put the lights back in before the bumper,i changed the air filter while it was apart and topped up power steering fluid also put discs and pads on,I'm now changing a broken front spring so need to take the full leg out it's half out finishing off tomorrow then I'll finally get to drive it and see what difference the new intercooler makes.

Back