Hello! Newbie here!

3wheeler

Hi I am the lucky new owner of an 86000 mile 52 plate 1.6 FSI SE, in red with beige cloth. The laquer is peeling aaaaalll over, and the coatings on all the switches are shot too! But, I paid very little for it, and my Sister (the previous owner) has spent a small fortune on it over the last 6 months (more than they, or I paid for it!) Among the items done, are inlet manifold, servicing including cambelt and waterpump, Front coilsrpings. The Aircon is as ineffective and clammy as a politicians handshake too. It seems its had an MOT advisory for 2 years over a sloppy steering rack. Are there any known issues with this model I need to look out for. I intend it to be a daily driver, and its replacing my 15000 mile UP! (which is great, but dull). Any help would be welcome, so I can keep a look out! Thanks!

Hi and welcome to a2oc sounds like its had one of the expensive jobs done in the inlet manifold flaps. The MOT advisories are strange as i don't think i have ever heard of a worn rack--i would be looking at track rod ends (but the mot should have spotted those)
One important this is to run it on high octane fuel such as tesco momentum-this is essential for the engine to run efficiently with its ultra lean burn. This engine really likes a good old italian tune up every now and then ( full revs and full throttle when ever safe to do so)
Hope you enjoy the car they really get under your skin. cheers mike

why not consider joining us at a social--details in the social section.

Welcome to the A2OC ? I agree with @a2sumo these cars run way better on high octane fuel I have a 1.6 fsi and on normal fuel It is slightly lumpy but on high octane fuel they run a million dollars better you can notice the difference for sure :)?

Good stuff- thanks! I will put 98RON in next. I have SORN'd it for now, until I sell my UP!s. Yes, two of them- mine, and my Mums (which I have just inherited!). My wife thinks I'm crazy to get rid of either of the UPs but my sisters A2 was too tempting especially at £1000! I'll take a look at the social section..

Hello and welcome to A2OC!

Are there any known issues with this model I need to look out for.
Umm... yeah!

The FSI isn't really the best A2 for stress-free motoring. Some say that FSI stands for Faulty Since Introduction, or Full Savings Invested, or (if you're feeling uncouth) F#cking Sh!t Idea.
The 1.6 FSI is by far the least reliable of all the engines available in the A2. Whilst some have been lucky, I think even its biggest fans have to concede this to be true. Along with the 1.4-litre FSI introduced in the Lupo, it was VAG's first attempt at a direct injection petrol engine and therefore features the inevitable teething troubles of a new system. They are relatively rare, don't feature widely in other cars and are very poorly understood by a vast majority of garages. People have spent huge amounts of money just trying to get the engine management light in the instrument cluster to switch off (which is now an MOT requirement). When you then take into account the troubles with fuel injectors, coolant loss, swirl flap actuators, coil packs, etc, you can understand why some owners keep an emergency fund. I'd suggest that a large majority of threads started here about engine difficulties relate to the FSI.

It's a great shame, because they're cracking engines when they work properly and there's no direct alternative; it's the only 'fast' petrol A2 available. I know of a handful of really well-kept FSIs and they are to be treasured (at the time of release, the FSI engine was every bit as pioneering as the rest of the A2's engineering), but a majority of FSIs out there on the open market will need a considerable investment to get them 'right'. I work with A2 electronics all the time and, of the last 15 FSI instrument clusters that've passed through my hands, 12 have had their engine management light taped over or removed altogether. That is, I think, an indication of the scale of their reliability problems.

They say that necessity is the mother of invention. In much the same way, interest is the mother of knowledge. I know comparatively little about how to fix FSI engines because they're too unreliable for me to find them interesting. There are, however, many hardened FSI fans in this club who'll do their best to advise you ...and who are probably glaring at their screens in anger as I tear their beloved cars to bits! If you're new to A2s and want to have an all-round positive experience of them, where they just work and don't raid your piggy bank all the time, don't drive an FSI. However, if you're a loyal soul and wish to give the beastie the benefit of doubt (especially given all the work that's been done on it recently), I can only echo the advice from above: only put 98RON fuel in the tank. Hopefully it'll reward you with dependability.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello and welcome to A2OC!

Umm... yeah!

The FSI isn't really the best A2 for stress-free motoring. FSI stands for Faulty Since Introduction, or Full Savings Invested, or (if you're feeling uncouth) F#cking Sh!t Idea.
The 1.6 FSI is by far the least reliable of all the engines available in the A2. Whilst some have been lucky, I think even its biggest fans have to concede this to be true. Along with the 1.4-litre FSI introduced in the Lupo, it was VAG's first attempt at a direct injection petrol engine and therefore features the inevitable teething troubles of a new system. They are relatively rare, don't feature widely in other cars and are very poorly understood by a vast majority of garages. People have spent huge amounts of money just trying to get the engine management light in the instrument cluster to switch off (which is now an MOT requirement). When you then take into account the troubles with fuel injectors, coolant loss, swirl flap actuators, coil packs, etc, you can understand why some owners keep an emergency fund. I'd suggest that a large majority of threads started here about engine difficulties relate to the FSI.

It's a great shame, because they're cracking engines when they work properly and there's no direct alternative; it's the only 'fast' petrol A2 available. I know of a handful of really well-kept FSIs and they are to be treasured (at the time of release, the FSI engine was every bit as pioneering as the rest of the A2's engineering), but a majority of FSIs out there on the open market will need a considerable investment to get them 'right'. I work with A2 electronics all the time and, of the last 15 FSI instrument clusters that've passed through my hands, 12 have had their engine management light taped over or removed altogether. That is, I think, an indication of the scale of their reliability problems.

They say that necessity is the mother of invention. In much the same way, interest is the mother of knowledge. I know comparatively little about how to fix FSI engines because they're too unreliable for me to find them interesting. There are, however, many hardened FSI fans in this club who'll do their best to advise you ...and who are probably glaring at their screens in anger as I tear their beloved cars to bits! If you're new to A2s and want to have an all-round positive experience of them, where they just work and don't raid your piggy bank all the time, don't drive an FSI. However, if you're a loyal soul and wish to give the beastie the benefit of doubt (especially given all the work that's been done on it recently), I can only echo the advice from above: only put 98RON fuel in the tank. Hopefully it'll reward you with dependability.

Cheers,

Tom
Thanks Tom. I will look forward to the uniqueness of the FSI! My Sister had her swirl flaps done, and also her coil pack. Coolant loss was also sorted out too! The engine light was on, but turned off as no issues found. There is a raft of receipts going back to 2014, and many owners, it seems, all disgruntled. Its got to be sorted by now, though, surely....

Welcome to the club, sorry for the 'bad' news. All the help you need is here already (or is likely to arrive soon after asking). I'm afraid you are likely to be here often, the FSI is known for being trouble, I've just learned I'm allowed to sell ours so will be looking for another TDI soon. Best of luck.

It's got to be sorted by now, though, surely....
Haha! Either that, or it'll be like painting the Forth Rail Bridge ...once you get to the end of the job, the first bit you painted has flaked off and you've got to go back to the start and do it all again!

To be fair, it sounds as though your FSI isn't the usual £950 example from eBay and may give you decent reliability.
Keep an eye on the 'Pipe of Death'. At the back of the engine, there's a fat black plastic coolant pipe that gets brittle due to the FSI's high running temperature. It can split at a moment's notice, dumping all your coolant on the motorway. If you're noticing drips on the driveway, get it sorted as soon as you can.

Cheers,

Tom

Haha! Either that, or it'll be like painting the Forth Rail Bridge ...once you get to the end of the job, the first bit you painted has flaked off and you've got to go back to the start and do it all again!

To be fair, it sounds as though your FSI isn't the usual £950 example from eBay and may give you decent reliability.
Keep an eye on the 'Pipe of Death'. At the back of the engine, there's a fat black plastic coolant pipe that gets brittle due to the FSI's high running temperature. It can split at a moment's notice, dumping all your coolant on the motorway. If you're noticing drips on the driveway, get it sorted as soon as you can.

Cheers,

Tom
Great to know about the coolant pipe. Maybe if I can get to it, and wrap it in a heatshield tape then that would help? I have some time to faff with it before I start driving it in (controlled) anger...

Great to know about the coolant pipe. Maybe if I can get to it, and wrap it in a heatshield tape then that would help? I have some time to faff with it before I start driving it in (controlled) anger...
Getting to the ‘pipe of death’ Is really hard to get too I think you have to take the intake manifold off to access it ? I’m sure someone will confirm soon either way I’ve heard it’s hard to get too :rolleyes:

welcome!

My car just cost me £1500 in repairs and today I noticed the expansion tank was empty only because the engine went up to 100C - so I’m losing coolant and have a faulty level sensor it appears. Also a heat shield dropped onto my exhaust giving a lovely ‘Tractor’ sound quality when at idle which turned some heads.

Mine is a TDi75, arguably the most reliable of the breed. Dependability is in the eye of the beholder - he got me to work and back home despite being a bit poorly. That’s Dependability! The niggles I can sort out but he’s never left me stranded (except tyre blow outs - not his fault).

My wife’s Smart (less than 5 years old) gets a low battery and strands her in the middle of nowhere by refusing to start. Or gets a sensor fault and strands her in the middle of nowhere and refuses to start. Little git!

Your new car may have some eccentricities but at least you’ve got a bit of history of the big things being sorted and if all else fails you can blame your sister. Enjoy it and I hope it gives many years of trouble free motoring... and I definitely agree with Timmus about starting a ‘Just in case’ fund because optimism is all very well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back