Hello

VAG fool

Hi All,
Bought a 52 plate 1.4 SE in black pearl - for the good lady I have to admit - a blind purchase off ebay but the price seemed fair for the spec and the seller was in a bad way after a nasty RTA so I didnt haggle, it would have been right.
7 previous owners but it has got FSH and the book is well stamped up until 8k ago (not all Audi, but hey ho) and the condition is probably best described as "well loved" for its 88k mileage.
Its got the odd scuff and a few Devon stripes, some may well polish out, fingers crossed.
Pardon me if I don't use all get all hung up about the car or its originality, I have other automotive diseases!
Its a nice bit of late 90's design that reminds me of my old 52 plate Allroad and returns amazing mileage, so it's an ideal small car for our purposes.
It has almost all the toys: dark red leather, climate, cruise, Bose audio, glass roof, 5 seat(belts) and the toolkit has never been touched.
Whilst everything electrical works it appears to have all the usual faults too: a wet boot well (already mopped out), no end on the dipstick (although the PO had helpfully included a new one, but the end of the tube is blocked. I'll drop the sump) and its fitted with Audi 18" wheels and rubber band tyres which do nothing for the ride quality imho. I'm sure that a couple of the rims are dented judging by the cyclic vibrations, they will have to stay as the tyres are nearly new...PO warned me off opening the sunroof too because it's a bit sticky/intermittent in operation?
Front door window frames need adjustment too, they aren't quite flush at the forward top corners, in fact the nsf door needs re-hanging tbh.
Broken cup holders and chopped head unit wiring (left in the boot. Some people eh, but at least it hadn't been binned) and a baggy headlining make up the minor irritations. Should it have a CD changer under the boot floor at this spec? There is an empty vertical slot by the looks of it.
Anyway, I drove it 130 miles home (shhh!) on about £10 of petrol without incident in the pouring rain other than a slight misfire at idle, it flagged up the engine check light early doors so I'll have to plug in my code reader then pull the rear bumper asap I guess.
It's a great little car, we'll have it for years I am sure.

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_150041_5.jpg
    IMG_20210204_150041_5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 218
Welcome aboard :) Sounds like you've got the makings of a nice car there, and you'll find plenty of help on here for the issues you've listed to assist you in getting it there. If you haven't already, it's worth joining the Market - click your username, select Account Upgrades, there's a £2 fee through PayPal and you're done ?

Welcome, your car does sound like a lovely example waiting to be brought back up to standard, you sound like the man to do it too.

It was closer to 120 miles and maybe £12 @£1.20/litre (a whiff over the first quarter tank from full) cross country.
Tbh anything over 30mpg is a treat in my world, but a certain PSA 2.0 HDi returns 55mpg on a run and you do rather get used to it.

Forgot to mention: broken mirror switch. Not good! Guessing generic Audi part of the period? It feels familiar.

And numberplate lamp screws are a mess. I think some monkey has stolen a few out of the Bose sub cover :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We are also in Surrey (Staines), so if you need a refurbished roof, give us a shout.

I’m sure you know that the water in the boot is caused by the rear vents leaking, they are located behind the rear bumper, so it’s a bumper off job to fix, but will only cost the price of a tube of black silicone. I would be doing that first, before it totally destroys the headlining

My daughter has a similar black A2 with Bose, the Bose system does not like aftermarket head units, I have just fitted an Android HD and it was a real pain to get right. I now know how to do this, so give me a shout if you need assistance with that.

Good luck with it.
Ian

We are also in Surrey (Staines), so if you need a refurbished roof, give us a shout.

I’m sure you know that the water in the boot is caused by the rear vents leaking, they are located behind the rear bumper, so it’s a bumper off job to fix, but will only cost the price of a tube of black silicone. I would be doing that first, before it totally destroys the headlining

My daughter has a similar black A2 with Bose, the Bose system does not like aftermarket head units, I have just fitted an Android HD and it was a real pain to get right. I now know how to do this, so give me a shout if you need assistance with that.

Good luck with it.
Ian
Thanks, I'm in Woking and our engineering shop used to be off the High Street in Staines.
Vents are top of the list.
I would rather reinstate the Audi Concerto head unit, its just a fiddly wiring repair to do really.

Welcome on board VAG fool.
You will become an A2 nerd in no time I reckon! As Ian says, check the rear vents for water ingress(cheap fix and sure you'll have some silicone lying around the workshop!
Snapped mirror switch, I have a few in my shed of dread that I can help you out with.
It looks a really nice example in fairness, get Ian to repair the sunroof and you are laughing!
Rear number plate screws are a PITA, they always corrode and therefore will probably need the backing plate changing at some point, but if it works, leave it for now!!!

Welcome on board VAG fool.
You will become an A2 nerd in no time I reckon! As Ian says, check the rear vents for water ingress(cheap fix and sure you'll have some silicone lying around the workshop!
Snapped mirror switch, I have a few in my shed of dread that I can help you out with.
It looks a really nice example in fairness, get Ian to repair the sunroof and you are laughing!
Rear number plate screws are a PITA, they always corrode and therefore will probably need the backing plate changing at some point, but if it works, leave it for now!!!
Thanks for the tips, its always the little things that bug the most!
Reinzosil is my weapon of choice, never fails.
Like most folks I am a driveway spanner hero and tomorrow am looks dry for us, so I'll have the bumper off before we get any more downpours.
I'll take you up on the mirror switch offer, £45 on fleabay for a new one is a little strong...
I'd rather sort it all asap because once I hand over the keys I don't want any dramas ;)
I will contact Ian and we can confuse each other as I have the same name!

Thanks for the tips, its always the little things that bug the most!
Reinzosil is my weapon of choice, never fails.
Like most folks I am a driveway spanner hero and tomorrow am looks dry for us, so I'll have the bumper off before we get any more downpours.
I'll take you up on the mirror switch offer, £45 on fleabay for a new one is a little strong...
I'd rather sort it all asap because once I hand over the keys I don't want any dramas ;)
I will contact Ian and we can confuse each other as I have the same name!
I'll send you an inbox now Ian/Tom/Steve/Andy...lol

This is the car I bought, but the auction is still running so don't go bidding on it!

Welcome aboard :) Sounds like you've got the makings of a nice car there, and you'll find plenty of help on here for the issues you've listed to assist you in getting it there. If you haven't already, it's worth joining the Market - click your username, select Account Upgrades, there's a £2 fee through PayPal and you're done ?
I think that I must be being a bit thick but can't seem to find that route to Account Upgrades. I'm on am Android phone if that is a known issue?

Should it have a CD changer under the boot floor at this spec? There is an empty vertical slot by the looks of it.

A CD changer would be on the driver's side of the boot, pretty much on top of the wheel. Couldn't miss it if it was there.

The vertical slot under the boot floor houses the satnav computer if specced with satnav but no radio with built-in colour display. This would also come with controls beneath the handbrake lever and a plastic lid in the boot floor.

The ebay add suggests that this car has neither, unfortunately.

A CD changer would be on the driver's side of the boot, pretty much on top of the wheel. Couldn't miss it if it was there.

The vertical slot under the boot floor houses the satnav computer if specced with satnav but no radio with built-in colour display. This would also come with controls beneath the handbrake lever and a plastic lid in the boot floor.

The ebay add suggests that this car has neither, unfortunately.
Ok thanks for that, I'll forget about it then! A spare wheel...I knew there was something missing.

Weather is on-side, so here we go...bumper off, the side clip/tags were a fiddle so this old post is worth noting:

How do the vents release from the body? One has a couple of splits in the rubber flap and everything is wet, so they have to come out.

She's had a tap up the rear, the alloy bumper beam is just touching the body (phew!) so that's now on the urgent parts list.

Several torx screws are wrong or missing, need about 10 or 12 of the black stainless ones and if anyone has got a part number for the 6 plastic rivets that hold the arch liner up?

And one wheel centre was retained with d/s foam tape because the clip is missing...

I think its time for me to post a wanted list!

Back