Help hand break bracket

Jilx

Hi a2 knowledgable people.

Can someone please help me? I love my little a2 ?. It has just had the MOT last week and it failed?. I took it to the garage and the man said it needed, a wheel bearing, a set of pads & discs on the front , a spring, and shoes & handbrake cables. (I had put it in early because it has no handbrake at all it just comes right up vertical?) . We agreed a price and yesterday had started fixing it and did the front brakes and bearing and the spring and now today he has stopped and phoned me and said.... there is a clip /bracket which holds the handbrake cable at the back, and it is under the petrol tank, it has broken so i cant fix the handbrake ?. The car will fail the mot and its for the crusher ?. Noooo ??.

I will have to pay the £700 odd for the work so far too?. He said without a crystal ball he could not of known this when he started. ??‍♀️.

I love my little car, is this possible to fix without such a major carry on as he said it will involve removing all the carpets and petrol tank and will take 3 days up on a ramp, and he doesn't want to undertake it.

My poor car ??. It has been on all our adventures and its just so reliable. I bought this car 3 years ago as a wee run around and its the best car i ever had. I want to fix it ??. Please please can anyone help with some advice and i will see if i can find a boy to do the job. Surely it cant be the end?.

Its reg is YX04ZNY if thats a help.

I know nothing about cars but if you say any instructions and i could show it to someone.

Thank you. I know mine is just the basic style with no souped up ness... so if this post is not allowed please remove it and I'm sorry in advance.

Jill ?

I can't answer the question about the handbrake bracket but someone here will very soon. However there is no problem posting here - it was the right thing to do! Very best of luck getting this fixed!

Hi Jill and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but you're in the right place for help. All A2's are welcome here, be they show queens with every option and modification available, or beaten-up base-spec daily drivers.

Two things we can do here. First, could someone used to navigating them please help to identify the part you need from the workshop diagrams?
Then, have any our resident breakers got one they can get at, and send to you?
(Calling @A2Steve @Clackers @Ami or anyone else with a drum-brake breaker since this is for a 1.4 petrol)

If we can get the part to you, it'll just be up to you to persuade your mechanic to fit it ... even then, someone here may have experience to share to make it easier.

does this thread help at all from the perspective of the front end of the cables? I've not read it in depth but I've not seen anything yet saying that the petrol tank needs to come out to do this.

and the linked workshop manual section

Thank you i saw that one which is why i posted on here. Is he getting to that bracket under the car or through the bottom of the boot?

I had one, but already used, If this is what you need below, you can get from CPA

1633630676673.jpeg

Thank you i saw that one which is why i posted on here. Is he getting to that bracket under the car or through the bottom of the boot?
through the floor & attached to handbreak mechanisem, the center tonnell needs to be lifted, fiddly job, but I did one a few months ago, took a couple of hours.

Hi Jill and welcome to the forum :)

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but you're in the right place for help. All A2's are welcome here, be they show queens with every option and modification available, or beaten-up base-spec daily drivers.

Two things we can do here. First, could someone used to navigating them please help to identify the part you need from the workshop diagrams?
Then, have any our resident breakers got one they can get at, and send to you?
(Calling @A2Steve @Clackers @Ami or anyone else with a drum-brake breaker since this is for a 1.4 petrol)

If we can get the part to you, it'll just be up to you to persuade your mechanic to fit it ... even then, someone here may have experience to share to make it easier.
I think he has the part, it is just he cant get it back on because its uner the petrol tank

I think he has the part, it is just he cant get it back on because its uner the petrol tank
As already suggested, all of the parts can be accessed from under the car without the need to remove the fuel tank, it's fiddly but it can be done.
Here's a diagram of the cables from the link that Robin posted earlier to help your mechanic identify the parts.
Screenshot 2021-10-07 at 20.53.31.png

As already suggested, all of the parts can be accessed from under the car without the need to remove the fuel tank, it's fiddly but it can be done.
Here's a diagram of the cables from the link that Robin posted earlier to help your mechanic identify the parts.
View attachment 86760
Thank you. He said the bracket has come off the car and it attaches to the car under the petrol tank. Are you saying he should be able to re attach the broken bracket ? Where is that on the diagram.

Thank you so much i will show him all this stuff tomorrow.

You have given me hope that zany can live a bit longer.

Jill ??.

through the floor & attached to handbreak mechanisem, the center tonnell needs to be lifted, fiddly job, but I did one a few months ago, took a couple of hours.
Is the tonnell a bit under neath the car aswell? As further down it says under the car only?

Is the tonnell a bit under neath the car aswell? As further down it says under the car only?
Yes, there's a couple of heat shields around the exhaust/fuel tank that need to be moved aside to give access. This is all done from under the car whilst on the ramp.

Last edited:
Yes, if it’s the offside bracket then the fixing is obscured by the tank.
It seems as though the mechanic has successfully removed the old cable, is he certain that the bracket is damaged as it appears to be okay from the pictures?

Back