Information Hey all!

Hi folks,
Been lurking for the best part of a week as I am potentially in the market for a wee A2 for my wife. Currently we own a Civic 2.2 diesel and a 2.5 petrol X-TRAIL but it looks as if the Xy might be making way - we have only owned it for 6 months but the running costs are killing her (I did tell her at the time but did she listen????
I love the quirky looks of the A2 and always admired Audi for the 'spaceage' use of Aluminium. My wife picked the Civic and the Xy so I am picking our next addition and my head is set on the A2 if it is big enough for school run mum!
Our budget is at the lower end of the market circa 2k but with my wife travelling less than 100 miles a week and engine rarely getting up to full running temp a petrol is prob our preferred option.
Can I ask two questions. Is there enough space for a dog in the boot (med sized Lab) on short journeys and why is the 1.4 preferred over the 1.6?
Thanks in advance.

Is there enough space for a dog in the boot (med sized Lab) on short journeys and why is the 1.4 preferred over the 1.6?

Hello and welcome to A2OC.

There is ample space in the boot for a dog, though I'd seriously recommend getting an A2 with the false floor in the boot. This partition allows you to separate the A2's very deep boot into an upper and lower section, meaning your stuff gets stashed in the lower section and the dog sits on the false floor. Not only does this increase usable storage space, but it also allows the dog to be able to see out. All SE models are equipped with the false floor as standard.
Each rear seats can also be set with its back rest vertical. This makes it very uncomfortable for anyone sat on that particular rear seat, but it increases the amount of doggy room.

The 1.4 is by far the more reliable of the two petrol-powered A2 models. Whilst there are those who love the virtues of the 1.6FSI, it's not the one to go for if dependability is your priority, especially if your budget it limited to ~£2000.

Cheers,

Tom

Boot is fine for a labrador, as timmus says false floor is useful, you could bodge up your own from plywood I guess. I have a false floor then a 2 inch layer of foam on that then a grotty dog blanket. Also some foam over the back seat, the top rear edge of the back seat backrest (if you see what I mean) has an unpadded corner and dog gets cross if you hit the brakes, she gets that corner in her throat. But then my dog is a complete wimp & a princess, demands nothing but the best.

1 lab -> long journeys fine, we go 4 or 5 hours with a couple of breaks. 2 labs including one huge lummox -> fine for short journeys. Rear backrests vertical great for dog(s) but lousy for passengers.

Lower lip of boot is quite high, couple of inches higher than our Yaris. If your dog is old might find it quite a leap. Probably not as high as your X-Trail though. I can see that being a problem for our dog when she's old and stiff. By then I will probably put the A2 in van mode (love that phrase) and she can get in through the rear doors, much lower access.

44kg, thats not a retriever, its an anchor!
The FSI is a great engine, but is more complicated and expensive when it goes wrong.
£1000 every few years should be enough (injectors or fsi flapsare main problems), but when running well the fsi is a peach! For cheap motoring, the 1.4 is the way to go.

Thank you for the kind welcomes. I have been given instruction today by my better half the 4x4 is to be sold and a more economical car sought - you can guess where my allegiances are going to lie :rolleyes:. Great to know the pooch will fit fine - she is only 11 months and a few months of growth yet but certainly never 44kg of muscle! Once my car sells I will be a hunting. Old man suggesting Jazz as we are a Honda family but driven several through the years and leave me very cold!

Back