Hey ! New owner

madamax

Hi, happy to be part of the club! From having browsed the forum this seems like a great friendly place to share and learn to fix things with the car.
Wanted to share my A2 which I got for a pretty decent price!

It is a 2002 1.4 TDI with 151,000 miles standard spec (I think). It has definitely seen better days but not had many problems in the 2 months I've had it.
IMG_1478.jpg

Actually looks very nice in black and there aren't many scratches on the body.
side.jpg

Interior is probably the worst part of the car with cupholders broken, although I fixed one back together with glue. There is trim loose all over, the radio slides inwards if pushed too hard, the window switches have fallen into the door somehow but still work and the headlining is falling off at the corners. There is also a loud clunk sound when I go over bumps coming from the front right of the car somewhere, not sure what it is but it doesn't affect driving and the handbrake barely holds on hills.
interior.jpg

But my favourite part of the car has to be how incredibly economical it is to run insure and tax! I had to get the lights switch replaced and all 4 tyres were in bad shape so they have also been replaced and balanced.

What do you guys think? I may ask around for some help on how to resolve some issues I'm having or if you know anything that would be great!

Thanks,
Max

Looks like you have bought what could be a nice A2. It’s obviously been a little unloved in recent years as have a lot of A2 as they are just seen as an old car and not worthy of money spending on them

You will find that this community think exactly the opposite and unless a car is absolutely beyond economic repair then love and money it but into our cars but alas there are some cars which are beyond this and they get broken for parts to keep the better cars running

Ask away we are a friendly bunch

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard :)

A TDI 75 is a very good place to start your A2 journey and that one does look good in black ? On that reg it will have the Webasto pre-heater which will hopefully fire up when it's less than 7.5°C outside, to help heat both the cabin and the engine.

The usual suspects for the clunking noise are the anti-roll bar bushes and especially the drop links. Inexpensive parts and (in theory) just straight spannering jobs to replace but the bolts could be rusted and fight you.

The good news underneath the car is that you very likely have the cast iron suspension control arms, which don't rust through and fail catastrophically, unlike their later pressed steel replacements. However, take good care of the balljoints on the ends of them by replacing their covers as soon as you see the first signs of any perishing. The balljoints are integral with the cast arms and can't be replaced separately, so you have to replace the entire arm, and these are no longer available from Audi and getting rarer and therefore expensive in the aftermarket. Fingers crossed it's not the offiside balljoint that's making the noise.

Welcome @madamax,

When I read "I had to get the lights switch replaced" just wondered if you aware of the Marketplace on here, a used one would have not cost much and minutes to fit. Virtually everything becomes available over time in Marketplace at economic prices, cup holders are common, simplest to buy and replace. Other items like your loose trim just ask in Wanted.

If you cannot see Market in the main menu bar at the top, if you wish to join you need to pay a one-off £2 fee. Click on your username in the main menu bar, then click account upgrade ......

Soon have your A2 shipshape.

Andy

Welcome Max, many of us consider our A2's to be part of the family, sometimes annoying though we love them regardless. As noted, front end clunks have several possible sources, recommended droplinks are Meyle HD as they are known to last. The 75 TDIs are difficult to beat in many respects though all four engines have their merits.

Does your aftermarket radio have gaps on each side? If so I have plastic fillers that you can have.

Hopefully the clunk it will be drop link, the top mount is apparently a bit of a pain job on the rh/s due to removal of ancillaries in the engine bay to gain access, not that I have changed one!

Welcome btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies
so far everyone! I suspect you are right with the clunking being the drop link. I thought the car having lots of body roll was just down to the design of being narrow and tall, but I suppose if the anti roll bar isn’t connected properly that would be the problem.

Not worked on cars myself before but better to start somewhere! I will have a look at what I can do myself

Cenick, yes there are it already has the plastic clips on the radio I believe it’s just and old radio that’s been from car to car looking at the state of it, but so long as it works that’s fine for me.

Thanks for the replies
so far everyone! I suspect you are right with the clunking being the drop link. I thought the car having lots of body roll was just down to the design of being narrow and tall, but I suppose if the anti roll bar isn’t connected properly that would be the problem.

Not worked on cars myself before but better to start somewhere! I will have a look at what I can do myself

Cenick, yes there are it already has the plastic clips on the radio I believe it’s just and old radio that’s been from car to car looking at the state of it, but so long as it works that’s fine for me.
I'd suggest unusual body roll accompanied by a clunk should be investigated sooner than later. Not knowing your car background means it's difficult to gauge though in my opinion the A2 isn't particularly prone to excessive roll(though I do run with a rear ARB).
Failed droplinks don't typically stop the function of the ARB, they just add noise.

Back