Hi all, new member saying hello

barbusg60

Hi everyone,
Joined last night as Im on the lookout for a nice A2 at the moment.
I think I'd like a late 1.6 Sport with a good spec ideally.
I think I've found a nice one fairly locally so will hopefully view later this week and update if it works out.
If not, I'll keep looking!
Cheers,
Rob

Welcome to A2OC, Rob

I think I'd like a late 1.6 Sport
Have you done your homework and established what you're potentially getting yourself into? A large majority of threads started here about engine difficulties relate to the FSI. The first thing to know and accept is that the 1.6 FSI can be - and frequently is - a total money pit. The FSI isn't really the best A2 for stress-free, budget motoring. FSI stands for Faulty Since Introduction, or Full Savings Invested.

The 1.6 FSI is by far the least reliable of all the engines available in the A2. Whilst some have been lucky, I think even its biggest fans have to concede this to be true. Along with the 1.4-litre FSI introduced in the Lupo, it was VAG's first attempt at a direct injection petrol engine and therefore features the inevitable teething troubles of a new system. They are relatively rare, don't feature widely in other cars and are very poorly understood by a vast majority of garages. People have spent huge amounts of money just trying to get the engine management light in the instrument cluster to switch off (now essential for the MOT). When you then take into account the troubles with fuel injectors, coolant loss, swirl flap actuators, coil packs, etc, you can understand why many FSI owners keep an emergency fund.

It's a great shame, because they're cracking engines when they work properly and there's no direct alternative; it's the only 'fast' petrol A2 available. I know of a handful of really well-kept FSIs, but a majority of FSIs out there on the open market will need a considerable investment to get them 'right'. Even running them on standard petrol rather than the high-octane stuff can (and frequently will) create lasting issues. I work with A2 electronics all the time and, of the last 15 FSI instrument clusters that've passed through my hands, 12 have had their engine management light taped over or removed altogether. That is, I think, an indication of the scale of their reliability problems.

If you're new to A2s and want to have an all-round positive experience of them, where they just work and don't raid your piggy bank all the time, don't own an FSI. If, however, you've done your homework and really want one, please go ahead; anyone willing to cherish an FSI into its senior years is encouraged to do so. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the A2OC :)

Hope you find what your looking for :)

Tom is right FSI’S are money pits. Trust me I own one ?

If you want a FSI make sure it has full service history :)

If you want a FSI make sure it has full service history :)
To be honest, that's not going to guarantee anything. Admittedly, you stand a marginally better chance of getting an FSI that won't raid your piggybank if it has full service history simply because that demonstrates that it's been owned by someone who cared. However, all the engine's fundamental flaws remain. Full service history won't stop the Pipe of Death dumping all the coolant on the motorway or stop the swirl flap actuator from breaking. Full service history also doesn't mean it hasn't been fed 95RON fuel since it left the factory. There are plenty of caring FSI owners who still face a constant battle to keep the engine management light off.

Forget a FSI and go for a TDI.
As a hardened TDI fan, I'm with you, but diesel isn't for everyone, especially not in the current political climate. An increasing number of low-emissions zones are going to make diesel vehicles impractical for many urban dwellers. If I was in that boat, I'd be getting a 1.4 petrol; they might not be the most exciting engines, but I'd have their reliability over the FSI's pace every day of the week.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom agree, if it is a choice of petrol and its got to be an A2 then 1.4 every time, but its diesel hand down everytime. Diesels you spend more time behind the wheel, petrol FSI more time looking at the wheels on a ramp. ;)

Reactions: fhl
Welcome aboard good ship A2OC.

Plenty of advice on here and a friendly forum to boot.

Tom's balanced summary is difficult to argue with, speaking as an FSI owner, though I don't share the acronym empathy. I'm grateful that there are some that support the innovation of the lump, lest I'd be paying people to buy mine when the time comes to sell, which may not be a million miles away.

The search engine can be a touch cumbersome, sometimes it is best to use Google, type in what you are looking for, followed by A2OC.

Good luck with whatever direction you go with, the A2 is a great car and one you'll take pleasure from if you buy wisely.

All the best,

Darren

I'll not profess to disagree with any reliability comments, but consistent derogatory comments that make any owner of a prized A2 feel substandard or inferior for owning such a model are certainly not in keeping with the friendly nature in which I refer.

Welcome to A2OC :)

Is your user name hinting at a history with VW's G60 engine?

All the best in your search for an A2, there is a wealth of information and knowledgeable people on this forum :)

Hi

Welcome to the A2OC,you have made a good choice

If your user name is linked to the excellent vw g60 engine you have got a hand shake from me,i have rebuilt and upgraded that engine and 4x4 it ( then sold it for the A2 TDI 90)

Good luck
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll not profess to disagree with any reliability comments, but consistent derogatory comments that make any owner of a prized A2 feel substandard or inferior for owning such a model are certainly not in keeping with the friendly nature in which I refer.
I'm grateful that there are some that support the innovation of the lump.
As am I. The A2 is a pioneering piece of automotive engineering, but neither the 1.4 petrol nor the 1.4 TDI engines are at all ground-breaking or original. They featured in various VAG cars before and after the A2. The 1.6 FSI, on the other hand, was released in the A2. It is every bit as pioneering as the rest of the A2. Indeed, in today's modern Audis, all petrol models employ FSI technology, and in that respect the A2's legacy is alive. In many years to come, when the A2 is nothing but a classic car owned by enthusiasts, FSI models will occupy a special niche and have a unique purity. They are to be cherished, and anyone who is willing to do so should indeed not be made to feel as though they've made a daft decision or that their A2 is in some way inferior. In my comedic FSI acronyms, I am guilty of doing just that, and I apologise to anyone whose feathers I have ruffled.

However, we're in a time when the A2 represents different things to different people. For some, they're already classic cars that must be kept immaculate. For others, they're utilitarian daily machines. So many people who buy A2s want one because, besides their engineering brilliance, they're cheap to buy, cheap to fuel, cheap to tax and cheap to insure. I want people to enjoy their A2s and appreciate them for the excellent little cars they are. Unfortunately, at present, many FSIs on the open market can be picked up cheaply, possibly because previous owners haven't understood them and consequently got sick of them going wrong all the time and just want rid. The result is that the most expensive-to-maintain A2s are often the cheapest ones to buy. As such, the inevitable huge bills that come with owning a faulty FSI often fall into the hands of those who can't necessarily easily afford them. My love for the A2 and my dedication to them is well documented, but I think the 1.6 FSI ought to be purchased by those who know what they're letting themselves in for. They're to be owned by people who've either got deep pockets or another car at their disposal.

Cheers,

Tom

PS: I've written this whilst sat on my laptop in a 1.6 FSI with 47k on the clock. I'm upgrading it with Bose, double-DIN dash, RNS-E, SideGuard, cruise control, Colour DIS, etc, etc. :)

Last edited:
To be honest, that's not going to guarantee anything. Admittedly, you stand a marginally better chance of getting an FSI that won't raid your piggybank if it has full service history simply because that demonstrates that it's been owned by someone who cared. However, all the engine's fundamental flaws remain. Full service history won't stop the Pipe of Death dumping all the coolant on the motorway or stop the swirl flap actuator from breaking. Full service history also doesn't mean it hasn't been fed 95RON fuel since it left the factory. There are plenty of caring FSI owners who still face a constant battle to keep the engine management light off.

As a hardened TDI fan, I'm with you, but diesel isn't for everyone, especially not in the current political climate. An increasing number of low-emissions zones are going to make diesel vehicles impractical for many urban dwellers. If I was in that boat, I'd be getting a 1.4 petrol; they might not be the most exciting engines, but I'd have their reliability over the FSI's pace every day of the week.

Cheers,

Tom
Well I’m pleased to say Boris’s EML has stayed off for 3 months now if not more :)

Lol let’s not jinx it :p?

Thanks for the reply's all.
Yes, I love the G60 engine and also my old Corrado it sat in, now that was a money pit! In a good way though!
In a way I wish I hadn't posted now (sad face) as the reply's and info have thrown me a bit.
These are the two local cars that I have found which do sound/look nice .

I do actually prefer diesel as I like to drive in an easy low revving style and let the power build, Im not one for lots of revs and cog swapping (hence my love of the torquey G60 engine) but would also like a nice high spec too.
Are there cars for sale in the market?
Cheers,
Rob

but would also like a nice high spec too
TDIs and high spec are not mutually exclusive. They are, admittedly, harder to find, but that's because we club members have already snapped them all up! Retrofitting is always more expensive than buying an A2 with all the options you'd like, but everything apart from OpenSky and climate control can be added.

I do actually prefer diesel as I like to drive in an easy low revving style and let the power build, Im not one for lots of revs and cog swapping
If you prefer diesels and don't live in a part of the country where low-emission zones are likely to make your life complicated, buy a diesel. They're the most reliable A2s, they're fun (especially once remapped) and incredibly fuel efficient on longer runs. However, the A2 TDI was made to be an eco machine, hence it has long gearing. In an urban environment, you may find yourself changing gears more often than you would in an FSI.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Hi Rob

I was the same after selling my mk2 golf 2.0 g60.I went for the Tdi 90,the torque on these cars is fantastic and there more reliable than the fsi petrol.Even better when remapped

Thanks
Pete

Welcome @barbusg60.

I have read the entire thread and the most important information is missing, viz what is is the intended use profile? Short city hops, miles per daily commute, common long motorway trips, this kind of thing.

Andy

Thanks for the reply's all.
Welcome aboard :) Good to see someone doing their homework and tapping into the support here before buying.

That one is for sale by a member on here. If you've sorted out your market access, you should now be able to see the sale thread so far here.

Hi Andy,
Mainly a 25m each way commute to work, possibly extending to a 35m one later in the year.
Then mainly pottering around Somerset with the odd trip to Bristol and the South coast of Dorset which is about 50 to 60 miles.
Im losing my work van which I have had a free fuel and no tax agreement for the last 14 years and have 2 months to locate a suitable car.
Cheers,
Rob

Yep, just joined the market and have spotted it with the extra pics & info, thanks
Go for a diesel we have owned them since 2002 and we still have 2 if it were me I would go for the tdi 75 with re map cheap to run 100 bhp and none of the tdi probs ie turbo and dmf I know only to well I had two both had issues ..
.we are also in Somerset 12 miles outside Taunton..

Back