Hi all! Red A2 Tdi!

Wingz123

Afternoon all,

My first proper A2 (bought for my wife) and I must say I absolutely love it.

It is a 2001 1.4 Tdi 75bhp however I have a Blacksmoke remap on the car which I flashed to it using MPPS just yesterday intact. Blacksmoke are all over the VAG forums and I can certainly recommend the maps to be very good quality. The car now runs approx 100bhp.

I managed to find a thread where @timmus was offering a cruise control retrofitting service.....does he still do this? I am in Reading....has anyone else fitted this to theirs? I have scoured the forums but a specific clear and concise how-to guide I am yet to find. There is a video with pictures on YouTube however again not overly clear....

Last of all my A2 is red and you all know what that means......LACQUER PEEL!! She's not too bad but is certainly going in a few places....here is a quick picture of her (Edit - being told the picture is too large!?)....not had a wash yet as the weather is awful right now!

Would be grateful for advice and input re the cruise control...

Kind regards,

James

Hi James and welcome. I have a Tdi75 and an FSI, both with cruise. Well worthwhile!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard :) Another recommendation for cruise, all three of mine have it! Two of them were fitted by Tom @timmus, cruise is his bread and butter. Only problem from your point of view is that he's based in Lancaster, a long way from your location. Restrictions allowing, hopefully he'll be coming South at some point this year for a retrofitting tour.

Thanks @Jellybean and @Proghound for the welcome! Yes I had this engine in a polo many many years ago (I think I was 19) back then I had a plug and play tuning chip on it and that went like stink! Owing to the fact I am now older and have driven many a quick car the 1.4 TDi in my A2 is relatively brisk much more comparable to a pd100 Golf in terms of power and torque now...

I am fairly new to the A2 but not to VAG's in general as have had a spate of Passage and A6's over the years. I still have my 02 AWX A6 PD130 as well.

At every opportunity I drive the A2. I love it. It does have one issue at current and that is the abs sensor or lack thereof one. Chap I bought the car from said it was a tooth which is part of the bearing assembly that needs replacing so I have both bearing and abs sensor.....not sure if this is a common fault??

My A2 is red with A3 Turbo (Phase 1) alloys and although in need of a refurb the car retains a rather 'chunky' look which I like!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

At every opportunity I drive the A2. I love it. It does have one issue at current and that is the abs sensor or lack thereof one. Chap I bought the car from said it was a tooth which is part of the bearing assembly that needs replacing so I have both bearing and abs sensor.....not sure if this is a common fault?

Welcome to the A2OC!
It is pretty common for these cars to wear through the wiring loom that runs from the engine bay to the ABS sensor, because at some steering angles/suspension loads the tyre and wheel can rub on the wire and eventually break through the insulation and cause the wire to short. This may be worth checking too. Especially if the car has had larger wheels fitted at some point.

I've also had the @timmus cruise control retrofit - it makes a huge difference for motorway journeys (and I use it in town as well to keep speeds constant). The reason for the lack of a clear and concise photo-guide on how to do this is that although it *is* doable, it requires a substantial amount of precision dismantling, installation, and then remantling for what is on paper a relatively simple addition - considerably more than Haynes manual stuff. In my case it made sense to combine this with a colour DIS retrofit, because there is substantial overlap between the two jobs, and Tom is an artisan - he did 3 DIS fits on my drive simultaneously over the course of a very pleasant afternoon when he was up in Scotland, and put them all back together without any evidence that they'd ever been apart.

Afternoon all,

My first proper A2 (bought for my wife) and I must say I absolutely love it.

It is a 2001 1.4 Tdi 75bhp however I have a Blacksmoke remap on the car which I flashed to it using MPPS just yesterday intact. Blacksmoke are all over the VAG forums and I can certainly recommend the maps to be very good quality. The car now runs approx 100bhp.

I managed to find a thread where @timmus was offering a cruise control retrofitting service.....does he still do this? I am in Reading....has anyone else fitted this to theirs? I have scoured the forums but a specific clear and concise how-to guide I am yet to find. There is a video with pictures on YouTube however again not overly clear....

Last of all my A2 is red and you all know what that means......LACQUER PEEL!! She's not too bad but is certainly going in a few places....here is a quick picture of her (Edit - being told the picture is too large!?)....not had a wash yet as the weather is awful right now!

Would be grateful for advice and input re the cruise control...

Kind regards,

James
Welcome, we're halfway between Reading and Basingstoke, so not far.
Use an app such as Photo Compress to reduce the file size of your pics, then you can upload them.
Mac.
Screenshot_20210109-181717.png

Thank you @PlasticMac great to know you are local - I have vagcom, all the delphi gear and mpps for flashing ecu's should you require the use of any of it....

Thanks @Robin_Cox yes he sounds like the man for the job....ooooh colour dis?? Have you got any pictures of this???

Welcome! Highly recommend @timmus and his legendary Jedi skills. He kindly retro-fitted DIS and cruise to mine and both work perfectly. I especially appreciate DIS but personally can't get on with manual cruise control. Compared to modern adaptive cruise and self drive systems, I find it very difficult to use in modern traffic. However it's nice to know that it's available as a 'period' feature the next time i find an open road....

Welcome! Highly recommend @timmus and his legendary Jedi skills. He kindly retro-fitted DIS and cruise to mine and both work perfectly. I especially appreciate DIS but personally can't get on with manual cruise control. Compared to modern adaptive cruise and self drive systems, I find it very difficult to use in modern traffic. However it's nice to know that it's available as a 'period' feature the next time i find an open road....

Ha - you are obviously spoilt by adaptive cruise! I must admit I like it as a feature though, I even asked Tom whether he thought it possible to upgrade an A2 with it before (he does not).

I would consider driving up to Lancaster if he not down this way anytime soon.....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks @Robin_Cox yes he sounds like the man for the job....ooooh colour dis?? Have you got any pictures of this???
[/QUOTE]

Makes more sense to link you direct to the colour DIS thread as there is a lot more information explained cogently than I could ever hope to :

And the Users thread covering some FAQ :

https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/colourdis-users-thread.34122/

Hello folks,

Many thanks for the kind words and recommendations.
I am most definitely still offering A2 upgrade services. You can get an overview of the services that I provide here:

I've not yet written a decent summary of Colour DIS on A2OC, but this post on the Dutch A2 Club (written by me, in English) shows a few of its features and gives an impression of the overall aesthetic of the upgrade...

Kind regards to all,

Tom

PS: As is often the case, I'm a bit behind with replying to private messages. If you're still waiting on a reply from me, rest assured that you are not being ignored. My right wrist is currently in a splint, meaning I have to do everything left-handed (I was working on my house, and shifted far too many heavy timber joists on my own rather than being patient and getting help).

Last edited:
Back