Hi from Cornwall

Tomble22

Hi all,

Have been looking around for a cheap tdi for a while and finally purchased one yesterday, picking it up on Wednesday.

It's a 2003 SE, 150k and a few months mot. Needs a bit of tidying and a couple of tyres but should be OK after a bit of fettling.

Will be my work car in the main, cheap tax and good economy is always handy.

Anyway, have signed up for the forum and hopefully pick up some info and parts.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200519_110437.jpg
    Screenshot_20200519_110437.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 291
Hello and welcome to the club. Plenty of knowledge here amongst members to assist with any issues.

Thanks, looking forward to getting stuck in.

It's got a few options I think, parking sensors, CD player, boot floor but I think that's it.

Would like to retrofit cruise as I use it quite a bit.

Also, not sure on what the colour is called, obviously it's a dark blue but don't the actual colour name.

Thanks, looking forward to getting stuck in.

It's got a few options I think, parking sensors, CD player, boot floor but I think that's it.

Would like to retrofit cruise as I use it quite a bit.

Also, not sure on what the colour is called, obviously it's a dark blue but don't the actual colour name.
The colour is cobalt blue and it will sparkle in the sun.

Well, the A2 arrived yesterday and it's pretty good in general. especially for £500. Was the first time i'd seen it in the flesh as it was up in Swindon and I didn't fancy public transport at the moment to collect myself, so arranged a company to courier it down.

The paintwork is a bit rough in places but a good go over with the polisher will bring most of it back i think.

Everything works inside which is good. Missing the fronts off the cupholders (and one is broke), a knob off the concert stereo, the button face off the button above the fuel flap release (not sure what it does), a rear window winder and the parcel shelf, but i think that's it.

It also needs a couple of tyres on the front and the cambelt is overdue by about 2 years i think (was last done in 2013) so I'll get that done sooner rather than later. And it needs a bloody good clean inside.

But apart from that, it drives nicely, engine sounds good and pulls well, gearbox seems fine, slightly notchy but no worse than my other car (a 2005, 200,000 mile Honda Accord estate).

Will get it plugged into VCDS over the next few days and check for any codes etc but pretty happy with at the moment.

Only have the one picture at present, but i'll set up a project thread when i get going with it.

Cheers,

Tom

IMG_20200527_171527.jpg

looks a bit of a bargain then. The missing button will be the interior alarm sensor. The whole button will need replacing.

Apart from that button, I think ive got everything else you need here. pm me if I can help.

Hi all,

Quick question if I might, I'll ask here rather than clog up the rest of the forum (I did search but couldn't find anything conclusive).

Checked back through the history on the car and the cambelt was last done in 2013 and 95,000 miles ago so needs doing. I've also got an issue with starting where it'll start then stall straight away for the first turn or so, then it'll start OK. I did a quick search and someone mentioned previously that it could be a stretched belt.

Anyway, I've got a mechanic mate who'll do the belt for me so that's fine, but just want to check whether this is the right kit before I order. Always had Gates belts before so happy with that, and it states its for the AMF engine (which I have) but just want to double check.

Thanks all

Morning

The timing belt kit used on the 1.4TDI is the same one as used on the 1.9TDI (it’s just a shorter 1.9TDI block in essence).

The reason you probably haven’t received a response to your question is you’re unlikely to get someone to commit to confirming that it’s the right one for your car just Incase there’s issues.

So yes, it’s probably the right one for your car, but as always with buying service parts online, you would be better off emailing them your reg number to check.

Thanks,

Understand the unwillingness to commit, I was more confused that it noted it was for use on the 1.9, but it makes sense if the 1.4 is essentially the 1.9 with a cylinder lopped off.

I'll give them a shout, cheers Steve

looks a bit of a bargain then. The missing button will be the interior alarm sensor. The whole button will need replacing.

Apart from that button, I think ive got everything else you need here. pm me if I can help.
And I've got the button, so list completed!!!

Hi all,

Have been looking around for a cheap tdi for a while and finally purchased one yesterday, picking it up on Wednesday.

It's a 2003 SE, 150k and a few months mot. Needs a bit of tidying and a couple of tyres but should be OK after a bit of fettling.

Will be my work car in the main, cheap tax and good economy is always handy.

Anyway, have signed up for the forum and hopefully pick up some info and parts.

Cheers

The A2 is the ideal car for Cornwall, nimble in the back roads trying to avoid the summer traffic, best of all no rust. I just wish for more power from my 1.4tdi 75bhp.

Also don't underestimate the difference a fully serviced car makes to performance. Air filter, fuel filter, seized brake drums, thermostat will all make a differnec to the cars performance.

Budget is the only limit gettig a 1.4 75 to around 150hp with bolt on parts.

As Andy says, get it re-mapped to around 105 and it will make a huge difference.

Back