Hi from Scotland

JavaGreen

Scotland
Been considering getting an A2 for some time, that moment has now arrived.
What should I get?
1.4 SE
Any TDI
or the 1.6 FSI?
Have noted some have the Skyroof. Is this rare and worth going after?
Have also read about Colour Storms - are these worth pursuing or was it just a colour thing?
Now the most important thing...... what price should I pay for a low mileage <70k in good condition. Does not have to be mint as I intend in taking care of that side of things myself. But a good honest A2 in good condition is what I shall be looking for.

Thanks for having me.
Paul

Welcome Paul. May I suggest that good service history is a better gauge than low miles, especially on the diesels.
There are lots of threads on A2oc.net about the pros and cons of each model. I have a Tdi75 and 2 x FSI'S and enjoy them all. These cars seem to be strangely addictive so don't be surprised if you end up owning more than one!
To search for threads and info best to use Google, so enter what you're looking for followed by A2oc.net.
Its worthwhile joining the Marketplace where you will find plenty of goodies to empty your pockets!
To get Market access on your account. Click on your username on the top black menu bar, select Account Upgrades. Select Market Access (it's the only one), there's a £2 fee via PayPal and after that it should work. Plus you get to see all the parts and cars for sale by Club members, and you can post Wanted ads for any A2 items you need.
Enjoy, and post up pics of whatever you buy.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Hi Paul and welcome aboard :)

You stand to get recommendations for all the engines as there are fans of each on here! Are there any cities in your usual travel patterns which could rule out diesels? If not, I'd recommend a TDI75, they're rather enjoyable with a mild remap. I would say it's generally accepted that this engine and the 1.4 petrol are the more reliable ones, the TDI90 and the FSI are more powerful but have more weaknesses and the FSI in particular is not well understood by most garages. I think there is a 'sweet spot' in the production run in mid-to-late 2002 where they were upgraded with the larger 42L fuel tank but still had the cast suspension arms rather than the later pressed ones, which are prone to corrosion. The earlier variants of the 1.4 engines (AMF diesel, AUA petrol) are also slightly less complex and therefore have less to go wrong than their later counterparts (BHC diesel, BBY petrol).

In terms of model/trim, I'd say avoid the absolute entry level cars, identifiable (if not upgraded via retrofit) by plastic steering wheel, gearknob, handbrake grip and a black rather than silver handbrake button and ring on the bottom of the gear lever shroud. The other trim options were SE and Sport, each of which has their advantages and disadvantages,. Both got leather on the contact points mentioned above. The SE got front foglights and the ingenious false floor, but the seats aren't very supportive for longer drives. The Sport instead got the trip computer and lumbar support in the seats, but the deeper bolsters on these seats do wear and the 17" wheels are less comfortable and prone to buckling. One of the joys of these cars is that there is plenty of knowledge on here to help you to upgrade them yourself with the features that you want, or I'm sure you'll find mention of our resident retrofit guru @timmus before too long.

In terms of pricing, I'd agree with Bob @Jellybean, go for history, not mileage, and buy from a forum member if possible. By the nature of an enthusiasts site, these cars stand to have been looked after much more than an elderly part-exchange to clear on a trader's forecourt at the highest markup they can get away with, which is unfortunately all they are to most of the general public.

You should find plenty of information and advice on here and maybe even help from local members to vet prospective purchases. Good luck with your search ? Oh, and I second the motion, pictures of your new pride and joy are mandatory :D

Welcome to the forum. Engine choice will depend on your planned use and expectations. We've got all four engine variants here(5 if you separate the two 75bhp TDI engines - AMF until 2003ish then BHC). Teh 1.4 petrol is a lovely, light quiet engine with a slick changing gearbox which makes all TDIs feel agricultural by comparison. The FSI is probably the nicest option if you get a good one and look after it, it's also known for being the most troublesome.
OSS sunroof is relatively uncommon and very nice (for some) though it is pretty heavy and can creak in use. It's potentially troublesome and expensive to repair. I love ours though it can allow too much light/heat to enter the cabin(less of a problem in Scotland). Colour Storm was an option on Misano Red, Imola yellow, Sprint Blue and Papaya Orange (you may see an occasional silver storm too) which provided colour coded seats and matt black arches, bumper inserts, roof, mirrors and service flap.
As suggested by @Jellybean ,don't get too hung up on mileage, service history /care is more important. Contrary to @Proghound (I know you didn't say don't buy one, just clarifying), I'd buy any spec model if it was a good car, most spec can be retrofitted fairly easily (not OSS or AC). Our 1.4 petrol was 'poverty' spec though you would have to be well trained to spot that now.
Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
Just another comment, OSS, the sunroof and Cimate/ Aircon are the only 2 options that cannot be retrofitted economically. If either is on your wish list, then make sure the car you buy has it/them.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I'm from Scotland and bought my A2 in February . Agree with the comments that they are addictive cars and really get under your skin . Mine is the 1.4tdi se 75bhp and has been mapped . It has been well specced with the sky roof, heated seats, different cloth interior and dis as well as having the usual climate control. Bought it with 146.5k miles and is at 150.5k miles already . I love driving it and it's averaging low 60's mpg so is really cheap motoring . Was a bit of a gamble as didn't have much history but was cheap . Since owning it I've done a full service including timing belt/water pump replacement for piece of mind . New thermostat to cure the temp guage not working correctly. They are such a well engineered wee car and even better will never rust !.

Hi All,
Thank you very much for all of the replies and indeed, the vast amount of invaluable information, it has been most appreciated.
Now the good news...... just cut a deal for a:
2004 A2
Colour Storm Blue
1.4 petrol
with... Sky sunroof and air conditioning.
Part of the deal is to have the timing belt/water pump replaced and if required all of the tensioner’s. The belt was last changed 15k miles ago however, that was in 2015, so not taking chances.
I guess, I will have many questions to ask from 1/8/21 as that is when car will be collected with new belts etc.
Kindest regards,
Paul

Hi All,
Thank you very much for all of the replies and indeed, the vast amount of invaluable information, it has been most appreciated.
2004 A2
Colour Storm Blue
1.4 petrol
Part of the deal is to have the timing belt/water pump replaced and if required all of the tensioner’s. The belt was last changed 15k miles ago however, that was in 2015, so not taking chances.
I guess, I will have many questions to ask from 1/8/21 as that is when car will be collected with new belts etc.
Kindest regards,
Paul
That sounds a lovely car and a fantastic find for your first A2, well done ?

Hi All,
2004 A2
Colour Storm Blue
1.4 petrol
Kindest regards,
Paul
a well specced car and a good choice. I've got the Tdi 75hp and they are so reliable. Unfortunately emission zone laws are making it expensive to run these into cities. Edinburgh has a proposed ULEZ set to start next year.

Yes, I already run two commercial vans (both diesel euro 5 and 6) and a diesel motorhome.... and knowing the government (god bless their cotton socks) is going to hammer us in the not too distant future... I decided a petrol was for me.... wanted the storm blue one. The car is a one owner and has full service history and every receipt during its history. So well chuffed.

Back