How depressing....

Bargepower

A2OC Donor
Called at a breakers yard this afternoon to collect some seats (no surprise there!) and some other bits for @rosscanning.
Absolute tragedy. A pretty well loaded 1.4 SE A2 being scrapped - for a blown engine.
It had OSS (working!), heated seats, aluminium trim pack amongst other things, and not a dent in it anywhere.
Too late to rescue it though, as the breakers moved it around like this...

Interesting removal technique.

Supply and demand I suppose. Way back in the day it might have been a fixer upper for a young driver who couldn't afford anything else.

Easy credit on new cars killed that market (plus a tendency not to fix anything but to throw it away).

That's an awful thing to see. Unfortunately to those not frequenting these pages it's just an old car. For every one pictured like this and posted on the forum there's likely to be many more with similar kit levels meeting the same fate. Its a pity indeed.

It’s funny how things change we have a painter here working on the house this week his son was going to buy an old £1000 Nissan micra he was quoted £1500 insurance crazy ..so he shopped around and got a brand-new Small Toyota car not sure what model on finance was £650 fully comp insurance that doesn’t make sense does it ..
Not encouraging youngsters to get insurance for their cars is it ..if they made it reasonable for the first year and if they did have a prang well then bang it up ..

that is a crying shame
What are the bumper like condition wise - if reasonable would it be possible to remove them ?

Cheers,

Paul

Greywolfhound - yes that is crazy. The premium SHOULD relate to the market value of the car which is what is at risk.
Some kind of ‘cross selling’ or discount to shift the new metal I suppose!?

Greywolfhound - yes that is crazy. The premium SHOULD relate to the market value of the car which is what is at risk.
Some kind of ‘cross selling’ or discount to shift the new metal I suppose!?

I think most of an insurance premium is the damage it can cause to other vehicles and people including those inside the car, newer cars have lower premiums due to newer safety features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of parts on that A2 to re-use at least. Ref the insurance premiums, the largest claim I came across was $25 million for that Land Rover accident that caused a two train wreck. Premiums are cheap for the risks covered.

that is a crying shame
What are the bumper like condition wise - if reasonable would it be possible to remove them ?

Cheers,

Paul
Bodywork was all very good - only trouble is the car is in Ashford in Kent, about 140 miles of a round trip. If you want them, I can go and get them though. Depends, I suppose, on what they want for them money wise.

Grab what you can; centercaps, mudflaps, foglights and whatever takes minimum of effort to remove
Mudflaps and hard touch climate with seat heater switches are already in my boot and belong to @rosscanning. The breaker is selling the wheels and centre caps complete. There's a mint hard touch headlight switch with fogs still in there though. The breaker removes the parts, you aren't allowed to wade in with spanners blazing. From what I could gather, it sounded like a knackered cylinder head gasket that took it off the road.

Bodywork was all very good - only trouble is the car is in Ashford in Kent, about 140 miles of a round trip. If you want them, I can go and get them though. Depends, I suppose, on what they want for them money wise.
Ian,
Would you mind finding out what he wants for the front an rear bumpers please, that is obviously if you are OK to collect them as its certainly to far for me to go from St Annes to collect them - no issue at all if its not practical
Cheers,
Paul

If the seats are heated, what type are they? Presumably leather?

As it's an early car, has it got four electric windows?

Cloth seats, rear windows are manual.
Called at a breakers yard this afternoon to collect some seats (no surprise there!) and some other bits for @rosscanning.
Absolute tragedy. A pretty well loaded 1.4 SE A2 being scrapped - for a blown engine.
It had OSS (working!), heated seats, aluminium trim pack amongst other things, and not a dent in it anywhere.
Too late to rescue it though, as the breakers moved it around like this...

View attachment 53891
Oh, and Dis too.

I think most of an insurance premium is the damage it can cause to other vehicles and people including those inside the car, newer cars have lower premiums due to newer safety features.
Fair point - third party liability is a big factor.

But an A2 write off will give rise to a payout of a few hundred £; a new car several thousand £.

Back