How remove battery?

ROO3

Hi, I can't work out how to remove the foam as it is one large piece. Any tips?

Attachments

• PHOTO_20181004_204329.jpg
    PHOTO_20181004_204329.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,909
You will need to remove the plastic inner lower boot panel which is held in by 3 screws. These screws are hidden behind circular (centre, left and right) plastic tabs which can be gently prised out of the panel with a small screwdriver to access the screws. The foam insert should then simply lift out once the screws and panel are removed.

Last edited:
Not wanting to disagree but this looks like the later style toolkit hold with direct access to the battery clamp bolts.
Undo the two bolts, red arrows, you will need a longish extension, and then pull up and out the panel indicated by the yellow arrow.

xxxx.jpg

The battery is now free apart from its electrical connections and the breather tube.

Andy

Edit.

1. No need to remove toolkit holder to remove battery.
2. Not my pic but must have saved it at some point and clarity ruined when I did a resize, apologies.

Last edited:
If you are only removing the battery there is no need to remove the foam. Looking at your picture you can see 2 bolts between the battery and the cut out for the tyre repair slime. Remove these 2 bolts. The plastic these bolts secured has a small tab or handle at the top, pull up on this and the battery is released. Remeber to disconnect the battery first and the small corrugated pipe on the left side of the battery which is a breather pipe. Battery lifts straight up with a small amount of wiggling to release the locating lugs along the bottom of the battery. Refitting is the reverse, make sure tabs locate bottom of battery, refit plastic locking panel and the 2 bolts, reconnect the battery and breather. If the battery was disconnected long enough you will now probably have to resync all your remote keys, reset the time and date and reset electric windows one touch....
Andy beat me to the answer..

I see now, Special Edition answering foam question, I am answering thread title. Not disagreeing!- Andy

Got the same problem but I'm considering bridging the battery with a slave to make sure no codes are lost. Apparently some electrical factors have a plug in cigarette charge to maintain the essential codes.

Steve B

There is no need to remove the plastic boot trim in either version (I've got two of the early, and one later version and have replaced battery in all three and added a spare tyre carrier to one). The toolkit blocks were designed by someone who had a great love of and respect for Tetris (or complicated veterinary obstetrics!). In my experience if you *need* to remove the long foam block (earlier A2s had the two lower battery-retainer bolts visible there obscured by the foam block), you need to firstly remove the other tool-carrier foam modules to the right of the battery (jack first, then the other tool carrier). The long foam block that abuts in front of the battery can then be corkscrewed outwards and upwards and to the right into the space vacated by the other blocks - it is actually perfectly shaped with rounded lower corners and just enough compressibility to enable this, thereby revealing the two bolts securing the battery-securing plastic barrier. Feeding it back in is the same operation in reverse - you put the end in with the block rotated, then effectively rotate and push the block into its final location, moving and twisting simultaneously. I seem to remember needing to give it a whack to get it to go the final inch, but it does so, 'clicking' into place. Then the other blocks go back in.

If the battery was disconnected long enough you will now probably have to resync all your remote keys, reset the time and date and reset electric windows one touch....
Andy beat me to the answer..

I was about to attempt to replace my almost dead battery (a good starter job for a numpty) and thought I understood what I needed to do until I saw this. How do I do all these things, and how long does the battery need to be disconnected to make it necessary?

Not sure how long a break in continuity it needs but both operations are very easy so may as well do them anyway.
Resync a key by turning on the ignition with it, turning off again and straight away pressing unlock on the fob.
Reset electric windows by holding the switch up for 5 seconds then send them all the way down and hold for 5 seconds.

Thanks for the answers guys. But now I’m going to trump that with some really daft questions... so my battery just arrived (Varta E38 as people recommend here), I removed it from the box and there’s a sticker with big red letters on it saying “IMPORTANT! you must remove transit plug(s) immediately.”. Does it really mean immediately or actually just before I connect it up? Otherwise wriggling it into the rather tight cavity I’m worried I might have an acid-related accident. Presumably I just remove one of them and connect the corrugated tube to it? And how do they come out? They seem fairly reluctant to go anywhere.

Correct, remove the one on the side where the tube is and connect the tube. They just prise out from memory. Just keep the battery upright on a flat surface while you remove it and then put it in the car.

Correct, remove the one on the side where the tube is and connect the tube. They just prise out from memory. Just keep the battery upright on a flat surface while you remove it and then put it in the car.

Great, so it’s only necessary to remove it just before charging to avoid it blowing up...?

Yes, it's to allow gases produced by charging to be released - hence why only one plug and exit via the tube in an A2. I guess they want to you do it ASAP so that it's not forgotten about.

One more question I’m afraid. Things don’t look quite the same on my car as they do in other pictures I’ve seen. So in the attached photo, I know I have to remove the bolts circled in red (though I don’t have the right size spanner in my cheapo socket set ATM) but the clamp over the top of the battery is something I haven’t seen before. Do you know if I have to remove the screws circled in yellow? I tried with my screwdriver but can’t shift them - either because the battery hasn’t been removed ever (which I believe to be true) or they’re not designed to be loosened. Will this clamp come out just by removing the red-marked bolts?
0207EE8A-2CF8-4C4A-81E9-BCC713E99F4E.jpeg

One more question I’m afraid. Things don’t look quite the same on my car as they do in other pictures I’ve seen. So in the attached photo, I know I have to remove the bolts circled in red (though I don’t have the right size spanner in my cheapo socket set ATM) but the clamp over the top of the battery is something I haven’t seen before. Do you know if I have to remove the screws circled in yellow?

Covered in the workshop manual:

So the answer is yes.

Covered in the workshop manual:

So the answer is yes.

I feared as much :(. Think I’ll see if my mechanic neighbour has some better tools

Back