How should I prep wheels for repaint?

Cenick

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
Not keen on the black look, so what’s the best way to get these back to a standard finish, before I start using paint stripper

0a53e1e069ccae8d46b869e5ba103428.jpg

8d06a158331c47a0b9f8caddb4ca5b82.jpg

Sorry that should of been a new thread, could an admin move? Thanks

Last edited:
If it’s a decent job then just key in and paint over the top. Could be hiding a multitude of sins that you don’t want to unearth.

Steve, they look ok so I guess either a good jobs been done or they are good, fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it’s a decent job then just key in and paint over the top. Could be hiding a multitude of sins that you don’t want to unearth.
I second Steve, done loads of wheels over the years, just clean, lightly sand, good primer and paint ?

I think these would of been a shiny chrome finish to begin with, can anyone confirm if that was the case?

Steve, they look ok so I guess either a good jobs been done or they are good, fingers crossed

I think these would of been a shiny chrome finish to begin with, can anyone confirm if that was the case?
I have had both finishes a shiny chrome and flat silver ...? was this nods old car ? if it was me and your located in Bristol Phoenix did a good job for me a couple of years ago strip bead blast prep and paint from memory £50 a piece

Last edited:
I have had both finishes a shiny chrome and flat silver ... was this nods old car if it was me and your located in Bristol Phoenix did a good job for me a couple of years ago strip bead blast prep and paint from memory £50 a piece

Do you have photos so I can compare Paul? I’m leaning toward the shiny chrome look on the black. Yes, my car then nods and then mine againI know of Phoenix and where they are, might give them a call later.

Do you have photos so I can compare Paul? I’m leaning toward the shiny chrome look on the black. Yes, my car then nods and then mine againI know of Phoenix and where they are, might give them a call later.

I am in the process of polishing my set of wheels. At the moment I have had them completely stripped and rim edges repaired. Original wheels are painted on the back and burnished front faces then lacquered. I could not find the correct colour code for the rear colour so have had a best guess. I am waiting on flexible masking tape before primer etching then painting the backs then I can get on with the polishing. I am not going to lacquer mine as it is the water getting under the lacquer that causes problems but will just keep re-polishing. I am only going to use them as a summer set so only time will tell how they will cope.
1591691335899.png

1591691385997.png

I am in the process of polishing my set of wheels. At the moment I have had them completely stripped and rim edges repaired. Original wheels are painted on the back and burnished front faces then lacquered. I could not find the correct colour code for the rear colour so have had a best guess. I am waiting on flexible masking tape before primer etching then painting the backs then I can get on with the polishing. I am not going to lacquer mine as it is the water getting under the lacquer that causes problems but will just keep re-polishing. I am only going to use them as a summer set so only time will tell how they will cope.
View attachment 65607
View attachment 65608
They will keep fine like that if you use either solvoautosolv or silver duraglit
these 2 gave my mk2 Granada alloys sparkling results for over five years.
Hth
Keith

If you don’t want to fork out £200 for the wheels it’s not too difficult to just paint them yourself if you don’t mind a bit of elbow grease ? obviously not chrome, but you can get some good quality alloy paint these days in most decent colours. I’ve just done mine and they look not too bad.

I would imagine you can diamond turn most alloy wheels and VAG probably had more than most. Nice that you use them as coffee tables or is that just for reference :)
I had a spare set of 5nr 17" Audi A6 V8 Competition wheels (5x112) that i could not sell as wheels alone, so had them machine flat to accept toughened safety glass that sits in the outer lip. Barrels painted black, silver or anthracite i still have 1 each for sale now.

If you don’t want to fork out £200 for the wheels it’s not too difficult to just paint them yourself if you don’t mind a bit of elbow grease ? obviously not chrome, but you can get some good quality alloy paint these days in most decent colours. I’ve just done mine and they look not too bad.
Aldi often do wheel paint in aerosol and it quite good. Goes on nice and even, not too thick. Cheap too

Back