'How To' add SDS (Speech Dialogue System) to your RNS-E

Hi I've done another 'How To' This time for all those that have RNS-E, Bluetooth and MFSW, you can add SDS (Speech Dialogue System) this will enable the use of voice commands to control your RNS-E :)

Again all references are to install/fitting to my A4 B7 2.0TFSi DTM 2006, but the principle is the same :)

Hope it helps ;)

Here's a demo video of the SDS in action from another site:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdPoeWroomI&feature=player_embedded#at=408

Cheers
Sarge

Attachments

• SARGE- SDS Mod for the RNS-E.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,309
Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh...I like the look of this! I have RNS-E with Bluetooth module and would love to have this functionality in my A2. Unfortunately my technical ability is probably not up to the job! :eek:
Does anyone know someone local to me (Manchester) who might be able to do a similar thing to my A2?

Mick

You would need a MFSW or a "cangate module" to trigger the SDS functionality. Most A2's do not have a MFSW unless you are lucky enough to have a Mike Skipton special and the cangate modules are hard to come by, I know the maker "Bjarne" made some earlier this year, but I think they have all been sold. Plus with a cangate module you would need to mount a push button somewhere to trigger the cangate.

Thanks Spike.

Craig...I believe my car is known to you as I understand you installed the bluetooth car kit module for John Saunders, who was the previous owner. At the moment, I have an A2 with the following :-
i) RNS-E retrofit (Mike Hill (Skipton))
ii) MFSW retrofit (also Mike Hill (Skipton)
iii) Bluetooth car kit that you installed when John ventured up from Somerset to see Mike.

I think he called in to see you on his way back?? I can 'speak' to my bluetooth kit using the button on the MFSW, but that is all. I quite fancy the idea of being able to use the full functionality. Is this something you think would be possible on my car, from what I have said?
Cheers
Mick

That's what I was hoping you would say :D

Next question (well...questions) could you do it for me, do you have an idea of how much it would cost, and whereabouts in Manchester are you?

Mick

The wires were only a few pounds, and the coding is done via VCDS.

Have you got the RNS-E, Bluetooth and MFSW?

Cheers
Sarge

Hi Sarge. Yeah...I have the RNS-E, Bluetooth and MFSW. CraigyB has got back to me in response to a pm I sent recently so hopefully I will arrange with him to have it done very soon.
Cheers
Mick

Mick, the reason for me to do the 'How To' was so you can DIY it :)

The modification of the wiring for microphone is extremely easy, all you do is cut the wire in half, the two ends that come down from the microphone, is connected to MIC IN at the back of the RNS-E, then the MIC OUT from the RNS-E is connected to the other cut wire ends which go to the Bluetooth module, that's it! just need the RNS-E to have the proper software if it's not in the menu already otherwise your done :)

Cheers
Sarge

SDS Hack?

Apologies for reviving an old post but I have been looking at adding SDS to my bluetooth set up.

Does this function need a firmware hack or just re wire and code?

Thanks,

max

Last edited:
All 3 and some way of activating it, multi function steering wheel or SDS button of some description.

Actually if it is just for bluetooth then a recode and some way of activating it, multi function steering wheel or SDS button of some description.

Firmware hack and a rewire are applicable if you have an RNS-E installed.

Last edited:
Hi Craigyb,

Thanks for the info, do you have the full SDS hack and is it stable?

I have an RNS E and a Bluetooth module so I am assuming I will need the hack to enable SDS.

Max

If you don't have a way of activating the speech option when it is fitted, what is the point of the mod?

Do you have a MFSW or a cangate module to activate the SDS when it is installed

SDS and MFSW

Hi sorry for late response, I must have missed the reply. Tony is doing a MFSW retrofit next week so I will have the telephone button once installed.

I am happy to do the wiring for the SDS but will need help with the coding hack as I don't have VCD. There is some info online on the actual software upgrade but I would rather this was done by someone who has done this before and has access to tested firmware CD.

I am also adding an OEM eject box + rsap cradle with an external glass mount GSM antenna.

Max

I have the SDS function on the project.

It works fine but if you hae a MK2 RNS E (as I do) the voice activation does not operate the Media options properly.
The SDS software is designed for the MK1 RNS E (the one with the CD/TV button instead of the Media button.) Everything basically works but you can't tell it to switch SD cards etc.

Still a nice toy though.

I am very impressed with the speech options on the Telephone kit, you get basic speech control of that even without SDS, but to be able to speak a telephone number and have it dial it is quite impressive.

With the SDS speaking the name of the town and street etc for the Sat Nav is something I class as a safety featyre rather than a toy though, it is much safer to keep your eyes on the road !!!

Mine was fitted by "HazyDayz" and so I can't comment on the software hack (apart from pointing out that it is effectively software piracy?? if that bothers you or not. I am not sure it makes a big difference to anyone in reality)

Steve B

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the response, I should have asked for a demo at the A2 open day. The added voice activation of the phone and navigation function would be great. I have read a few guides and ok with the hardware tweak but the firmware seems a little risky.

Craygyb seems do have done a great job on his but I suspect it might be a trip to hazydays for the firmware change at least.

Max

Back