How to disable alarm???

Miniblob

Hi there,
I've tried to search this and although all the threads are very helpful, I can't actually find a way to disable the alarm, rather than troubleshoot/fix it!!!

The car is a 51 plate 1.4tdi 75bhp.
The alarm occasionally goes off when it's raining, or when it's very wet out and was presumably going off all day yesterday while I was working, as I came out to a flat battery!!!

I'm now having to leave it with the drivers door unlocked, but I need to be able to secure the car as I'm always carrying a lot of stuff!!! Tomorrow it'll be parked in town and then overnight I need to leave it in a questionable hotel car park, I don't have time to look into it properly at the moment, so just need it disabled so I don't get stranded with a flat battery again and can secure the car!!!
(I can't even find my jump leads, obviously!!!)

This car has always had some interesting character when locking, but it's always been exactly the same over the last 27k+ miles I've done in the last 11 months! Nothing has changed. Battery is good, was new a year ago and never given any issues. Connections are good, under bonnet earth recently replaced.

From the other threads, I gather there is a sensor/switch of some kind on the front service flap???
I could guess that's the issue as the flap is not the best fit (although never comes loose/open without pulling the release).
I guess water would be getting in there - there's no known ingress in the cabin or boot!!!

There must be a way to disconnect/disable the alarm???
A fuse I can pull or something???

The alarm system can be disabled using dealership-level software (VCDS, which many owners, myself included, have). Other than fixing the underlying problem that’s triggering the alarm, that's the only option.

There is no fuse/switch/connection that can be pulled/pressed/disconnected that disables the alarm, otherwise thieves would simply use that to silence cars whilst stealing them.
If alarm-associated fuses are removed, you’ll also lose the ability to lock the car, alongside various other essential features.

These cars are incredibly well designed and thought-through, but the upshot is that there aren’t simple circumventions for safety and security features; you have to fix them.

Cheers,

Tom

There is a sensor switch behind the service flap - look along the front of the slam panel and you'll see it. If your flap doesn't shut as tightly as it might, you can try adjusting the prong that the latch secures against. And/or gluing something like a 2p piece on the location the the sensor switch touches on the back of the flap, to ensure the sensor contact is not accidentally made (or broken?) if the flap is slightly loose.

If I leave my drivers door unlocked, it is automatically locked after a couple of minutes...

I know this is about wetness but during windy weather, I turn off the motion sensor.

Interesting, thanks for that!!!!
Will try and get it in the workshop in the morning rather than leave it on the street!!! Maybe they can disable for a week or two until I can look at it properly!!!

Will have a quick look at the flap and see what I can do with it!!!
Must be able to tape it in or loop it out???

My door drivers door def doesn't lock after a while - it's still open the next morning!!!

Very strange indeed. The auto-lock facility on the A2 is only capable of locking the car again if it has been unlocked and a door not opened within about 30 seconds. The alarm system assumes the car was accidentally unlocked and as no door activity has been sensed relocks the car. Anti hijack is a switchable option that will lock a cars doors and tailgate once the car is travelling more than 10mph. Selective locking is one press for the drivers door and two presses for all door unlocking on the remote and is also a programmable option in the CCCU.

The coin or washer on the service flap works well, I have done this on my car many years ago.

Out of curiosity does the drivers door lock and stay locked if you use the key in the door lock?

A full VCDS scan is required to show what has triggered the alarm or any other faults.

Possible issue is, that the cccu doesn't see the driver's door has been opened after unlocking the car, eg: microswitch is faulty, you can see this when the door switches don't lit up, also no beep-sound when the door is open with headlight on, then it'll lock the car again in 30s. Easy way to lock the key in the car.
Turning the ignition on, or opening another door with workings microswitches, overwrites that and the doors won't time lock.

Last edited:
Would there be any info within VCDS software scan to tell what was responsible for triggering alarm? Worth to do scan and see what is logged. Anyone with VCDS near you to check this out?

Would there be any info within VCDS software scan to tell what was responsible for triggering alarm? Worth to do scan and see what is logged. Anyone with VCDS near you to check this out?
Yes, all alarm triggers are listed as fault codes. Doing a diagnostic scan to establish what’s triggering the alarm would be the first stage of the repair process.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for this info guys - did get the car in the workshop, for a very short amount of time!!!
I'm not sure what system they use, but scanning for fauly codes just gave them an 'alarm triggered', with no indication of the cause!!!
As it was only going off in the rain, I can only really see it being the service flap causing it, so we found the little switch, unplugged it and it definitely looked wet and corroded!!!
We've just moved the switch and cable tied the button in and the switch out of the way for now and so far, it's been ok!!!
That'll have to do for the minute!!!

Thanks for this info guys - did get the car in the workshop, for a very short amount of time!!!
I'm not sure what system they use, but scanning for fauly codes just gave them an 'alarm triggered', with no indication of the cause!!!
As it was only going off in the rain, I can only really see it being the service flap causing it, so we found the little switch, unplugged it and it definitely looked wet and corroded!!!
We've just moved the switch and cable tied the button in and the switch out of the way for now and so far, it's been ok!!!
That'll have to do for the minute!!!
Believe just unplugging it will disable its function and remove it from the possibles list!

The footrest is available from the A2OC shop and I suspect the other pedal covers are sourced from a TT (mk1) which is a mod I have on mine as well

The footrest is available from the A2OC shop
The footrests used to be available from the A2OC shop, which took on the remaining dozen that were unsold from the last of the group orders in 2021. The very last one was finally sold a little while back. Most forum members who wanted one, bought one during the group orders, and demand from new members since then has sadly been too low for it to be worth having more cut.

Back