How to Fit and activate Muti Function Steering Wheel (MFSW) and Cruise Control

I Thought I'd do a 'How To' on fitting a FBMFSW (Flat Bottomed Multi Function Steering Wheel) and Cruise Control. I did this to my A4 B7 2.0TFSi DTM Quattro 2006. So all references are to this car.

I know it's not an A2 :) but I thought you might find references to it useful, or that fact that you might like reading my 'How To' Projects ;).

She came to me with NON MFSW and NO Cruise Control either.

Pictures of My Car here:
http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab47/Sarge786/?start=all

The 'How To' is attached ;)

Cheers
Sarge

Attachments

• HOW TO FIT MFSW - SARGE.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,203
Last edited by a moderator:
Great tutorial :)
If I had an A4 that would be perfect...

I intend to retrofit a MFSW (not FB) with the help of a guy who masters VCDS pretty well...
My A2 doesn't have OE MFSW but does have OE cruise control. Do you know if I will have to replace the slip ring ?
I have the "R" version of the controller unit. I understand that it's OK but I could have paid less for a "Q". Right ?

And the million dollar question : how to wire the 2-stage airbag ? Or at least, where to find some information about that....
Cheers,
Fabrice

Hi Fabrice, I struggled for weeks on end to find information for my own installation, in the end I took a few calculated risks, this was because it is my own car, but it all worked out in the end :)
Almost certainly you will need a new slip ring but I can't say what number it is (on the A2), perhaps a call to the dealership is in order to find this. Yes the 'Q' controller is more than adequate as the only difference with the 'R' version is the heated steering option.

I think wiring for airbag side has several versions to it, but will need looking into for your particular airbag setup. If you do need a new slip ring (which I think you will), then you can also get the appropriate wiring loom for it from the dealers too.

I don't know if Mike (Skipton) has a MFSW fitted on his A2, if so he might be able to shed light on the A2 MFSW wiring questions :)

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply Sarge :)
I will be using an A3 MFSW with thumb "rollers", with its matching airbag, you know, the not-so-good-looking-single-frame-shaped one... It has a 2-stage deployment, like yours I suppose, so you know that there are 2 plugs in the loom (I got this one aswell with the MFSW), so it's not a direct "plug & play" job, I must choose how to wire the airbag(s) : both parallel ? Only one (and which one) ?
Indeed Mike has approx exactly the setup I intend to fit and I already PM'd him, but he wasn't willing to help...
So your bet is that I will need a new slip ring, you mean the version used with the A2 MFSW, I guess ?
Cheers,
Fabrice

Indeed Mike has approx exactly the setup I intend to fit and I already PM'd him, but he wasn't willing to help...

Mike not willing to help, well that's a first :) I suspect the only reason is that the wiring of the airbag is such a contentious issue.

Honestly, I would gather as much info and do as much research as possible and not jump in on doing this, as it is obviously a safety matter.

I have no experience of MFSW on the A2.....yet, but will help where I can. I would start by going to the dealers, ask them for info on the correct slip ring (yes the one used on the A2 MFSW) and the matching wiring loom for your car and steering wheel.

Email me pictures of the airbag loom that came with the MFSW and it's number, also have you got the number of the Airbag loom currently on your A2?

Keep me posted

Cheers
Sarge

Quite like the idea of a MFSW for my A2 once I've got the RNS-E and Bluetooth installed.
What are the MFSW options available for the A2? I don't want to go back to the SE-style wheel as I much prefer the look, and feel, of the 3-spoke Sport wheel. Do they come in MFSW versions?

I also quite like the more modern flat-bottomed TT-style wheels, but not 100% sure of whether they look right in the A2 if you know what I mean?

Back