How to remove altenator

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
Amf tdi non ac Couldn't find what I was looking for so posting for ome help before I try it as need to complete the job being my daily.

Hiw does the altenator come off, I can see the way the tension releases the belt and I assume I then remove the tensioner.

Any particular spline bolts lurking for the altenator?

Amf tdi non ac Couldn't find what I was looking for so posting for ome help before I try it as need to complete the job being my daily.

Hiw does the altenator come off, I can see the way the tension releases the belt and I assume I then remove the tensioner.

Any particular spline bolts lurking for the altenator?
One thing I realised with my AMF alternator if you've not undone it previously was that it is a good idea to pre-wet the thread ends of the two big bolts that secure the alternator to the engine block mount with some good penetrating fluid in advance of trying to move them - I think "Plus Gas" has been recommended although there are probably others that would do. One of my bolts loosened off o.k ; the other took a lot of effort to get it started, and on about the second quarter turn the head twisted off with the threaded end and most of the rest of the bolt still in situ. Local mechanic ended up having to cut the alternator off in pieces with his plasma torch to replace it as this made it well beyond a DIY job.

Apart from that the job was an easy one - undo the tensioner bolts. Granted, mine had already thrown the belt off when the pulley disintegrated so I didn't have to fight the tensioner but the alternator bolt head shearing off wasn't planned.

One thing I realised with my AMF alternator if you've not undone it previously was that it is a good idea to pre-wet the thread ends of the two big bolts that secure the alternator to the engine block mount with some good penetrating fluid in advance of trying to move them - I think "Plus Gas" has been recommended although there are probably others that would do. One of my bolts loosened off o.k ; the other took a lot of effort to get it started, and on about the seecond quarter turn the head twisted off with the threaded end and most of the rest of the bolt still in situ. Local mechanic ended up having to cut the alternator off in pieces with his plasma torch to replace it as this made it well beyond a DIY job.

Apart from that the job was an easy one - undo the tensioner bolts. Granted, mine had already thrown the belt off when the pulley disintegrated so I didn't have to fight the tensioner but the alternator bolt head shearing off wasn't planned.
Oh wow yeah that's a world.of pain! I spray it to death tomorrow morning...

Does this help?

Of course it does that's spot 👌 on sir!! You the man

Nice and simple as long as bolts come loose. In wouldnt have known about the sleeves though, thats why i always like to check first time round. What a club

I used this socket and an extension bar from my socket set made easy work in little space on moving the tensioner back along with a 6mm Allen key to lock the tensioner in place.

16mm Metric L Shaped Angled Open Hex 6 Point Socket Wrench

Yes as I always say my 2 favourite penetrants are PB Blaster and PlusGas. Personally PB Blaster is the one I use more often and has yet to let me down. Yes it is important that those floating sleeves are retracted.

Back