How to replace the door mirror switch

wngl

Having reported that I managed to break the door mirror switch a couple of weeks ago (http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11010&highlight=mirror+switch), I have now replaced the switch with a new part and took some photos while doing so. I thought this might help others to consider doing this themselves if they should find themselves in a similar situation. Thanks to SARGE for his tips on this job.

I got the new Door Mirror Switch from Stoke Audi and the part number is A8E0 959 565 A4 PK A1B6 and costs £19.61 plus VAT before discount and P&P.

The door mirror switch is part of the windows/mirror switch assembly located in the driver's door armrest. Although the whole assembly clips into the armrest, I found it necessary to unclip this assembly from the inside. This means removing the whole door trim as already documented in this thread

View attachment Guide to replace mirrorswitch.pdf

Step 1 Remove the door trim - see photo 1. Prise the door speaker grill cover off with a thin blad to gain access to the first of the 3 screws that holds the door tirm to the door frame. You will need a torx screw driver - I used a T25 screw bit and followed the rest of the instructions in http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread...vers+door+trim to remove the door trim.

Step 2 Unclip the door lock cable from the trim - see photos 2a, 2b and 2c. This is a simple step and I simply pulled on the white plastic shroud to unclip the cable from the door trim.

Step 3 Unclip the door speaker from the trim - see photo 3. Take care not to damage the speaker or the surronding capactor.

Step 4 Unclip the wiring loom from the door - see photos 4a, 4b and 4c. The wiring loom is uncliped from the module by pushing on the purple level downwards. This level will prise the plug off the module. Now remove the door trim away from the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Step 5 Remove the backing foam from the door trim - see photos 5a and 5b.

Step 6 Remove the Windows/Mirror switch assembly unit - see photo 6a. There are no screws to undo in my trim version! Simply turn the door trim unside down (best done indoor on a carpeted area to prevent damage to your door trim) and start by squeezing the rear tabs on the assembly unit - see the 5 tabs (2 short ones on one side and 3 long ones on the other) in photos 6b and 6c. Unfortunately I cannot take a picture of this as this involved putting your hand into the hole in the armrest. I started by squeezing the longer of the tabs (visible in photo 6c - this is located furthest away from the hole). You will not be able to squeeze the tabs towards the front of the assembly but I found that once the rear has been released, pushing it upwards from the rear will cause the front to come off too. Please note this is a very firm fit so I had to apply quite a lot of force to do release the assembly. You will need to use your judgement as to how hard to push without breaking any thing!

Last edited:
Step 7 Remove the switches from the assembly - see photo 7. You don't have to remove the window switch unit, but I took this opportunity to give it a good clean with Auto Glym Vinyl & Rubber cleaner. Both the window switch and the mirror switch units are clipped on and needs to be pushed down from the top. The mirror switch on mine has a very tight fit and I found that I had to insert a thin blade around the clips before I could push it down to remove it from the assembly. Note that there is a small piece of plastic with the ledgends on it.

Step 8 Refit the switch assembly - see photos 8a, 8b and 8c. I inserted the loose piece of plastic ledgend into the assembly first before pushing the new mirror switch back into the assembly.

Step 9 Refit the trim - see photos 9a, 9b and 9c. Reassembly is as they say a reverse of the above steps. Remember to refit the wiring loam and push the switch assembly smartly down into the armrest. Reconnect the wiring loam to the door module and reconnect the door cable and speaker. I found it quite tricky to refit the door screws in the armrest and had to resort to using some blue tack to hold the screw to the screw driver.

Job done and mirrors now working perfectly. Hope this is of some use to others.

Excellant 'How to' mate! :D

Obviously this will also cover the electric window switches in the drivers door, access to the speaker and tweeter as well as other areas!

Cheers

Sarge

Many thanks. Having compared your version to the workshop manual line diagrams, your's is far easier to follow. I know which one I'll be using once the part arrives.

Thanks for the ‘how to’ guide. Is there a reason you can just unclip the windows/mirror switch assembly from above and not remove the whole door trim card?

Thanks for the ‘how to’ guide. Is there a reason you can just unclip the windows/mirror switch assembly from above and not remove the whole door trim card?
Yes - you're very likely to break the clips that hold it in on the outside.

I was just about to ask how to change the mirror switch, and then found this very good thread.
But I dont quite get it how step 6 is done. Has anyone done this and could explain more?

Its about getting these 2+3 plastic hooks to let go.
_20200903_194607.JPG

_20200903_194621.JPG

Well, actually someone broke one of the hooks, at the breaker yard. It wasnt me :)

Would appreciate any further guidning if available, I want to avoid breaking things.

Last edited:
This how to was invaluable! I was stumped once I got the trim off, but followed your guide and now have a lovely functioning mirror switch again.

would agree step 6 is the most difficult part and mainly requires a little brute strength to force the end closest to you out and up as you squeeze the unit together. Once that first long clip undid I found I could then force the whole thing out.

If I have time, when I get round to it (weather, screaming kids etc..) ill take a few, someone may find them useful.

Back