How to replace timing belt 1.4TDI?

Olerype

Is there any step-by-step threads for doing this? Novice, never done it before but looking at some 1.9TDI videos out there, how hard can it be..?

Its the BHC, but guess it is the same for all 1.4TDIs.

Except for the timing lockingkit, any special tools needed?

Small hands are helpful! Worth getting the factory manual as that details it step by step plus has all the torque settings.

Simon.

It seems quite easy; just a matter of access. The dealership does it in 1 hour.

You can drop the engine off its mount supported by some jacks and move it forward around 3-4 inches before it hits the rad. This should give you the room you require.

It's not a difficult job if you are mechanically minded and methodical.
Lock tools are fairly essential, especially the pin that stops the camshaft from moving when the belt is removed.
It only took me a few hours on my first attempt and included the time to clean as I dismantled.
There's no need to move the engine forward.
A good ring spanner is a must, when you fit the serpentine belt.
Keep checking and you'll be fine.

Workshop manual instructions here for 2 different tensioners:

And here:

Enjoy!

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Workshop manual instructions here for 2 different tensioners:

And here:

Enjoy!

Matt

Most obvious is four cylinders over our three
Pretty much the same other than that ,
Pin in my laser kit doesn’t fit the cam lock position (6mm dia) but cheap kit from amazon does (5.7mmdia)
Hope that is some help.
Keith

Most obvious is four cylinders over our three
Pretty much the same other than that ,
Pin in my laser kit doesn’t fit the cam lock position (6mm dia) but cheap kit from amazon does (5.7mmdia)
Hope that is some help.
Keith

The blunt end of a drill bit of the correct size does the same job as the pin in the locking tool.

Whats the difference between 1.4 and 1.9TDI with respect to this?
1 is a 1.4 the other is a 1.9 ? get a competent mechanic to do it otherwise you’ll be in a world of pain, that said you seem to already think it’s an easy job so have a go at it and see how easy it is ??

Take your time if it is first time, take pictures ,mark everything that could potentially cause issues later.
Note that the belt if too tight makes noise ,too loose rattles and risk of jumping .
The timing needs to be checked afterwards with VCDS or similar .
Whilst it is open check all things that possibly need replacing in the future .
Having said all the above if old belt looks good (twist and look for seperation at base of teeth) then postpone till it really is required .
If the chain has not been checked then look at this .
Cheers Al

Yes, I certainly think its easy. The dealership use 1 hour in the job. It is just a matter of having Balls, which the majority in the thread seems to lack..;)

Have a car lifter in my garage,- just need a engine traverse support and the locking kit. Guess you could do without locking kit as well as the crankshaft does not go anywhere and the cam can be locked by a alley..

The car was cheap, and running on its 15 years old original belt at 110kmiles. So no big gamble anyway.

But will try first to get rid of it as is (it has quite a few issues and not sure if I bother to fix it to my standards)

Front brakes must be replaced, missing a internal cover in the boot, missing the bottom plastic enginecover, ledlight for rpm-needle gone, general lack of service

The car ownership thing is an emotional one, if you want to buy something different or nwer technology I understand. If the repair list is only these items then not much to fork out as brakes are really a service item. The problem comes to getting roadworthy .....
Good luck with new purchase
Al

No, I have three A2s. The car drives just fine, and 1 year to next MOT so roadworthy as is. There is just some work to be done.

Back