Hypermiling like an Undertaker in the A8

Really impressive, John! :)

Out of interest, is the gearbox in your A8 of the multitronic variation or the double clutch type?

Matt.

Hi Matt.

It's neither. I believe the multitronic (CVT) was an entry level 'box only used on the FWD variants, not too sure about that, so I'm willing to be corrected.

Mine is the 6 speed ZF slushbox (torque converter), the second gen' (D3) A8, and sadly wasn't available with a more efficient manual gear or dual clutch gearbox.

I'm not sure what the current, third gen' (D4) A8s have, but I'd guess it's the much lauded 8 speed ZF auto, which is more efficient and quicker than even the manuals.

Ah, interesting. I think you're right about the CVT on FWD variants, that's certainly how it works on the A4's/A5's etc.

I have experience of the 8 speed ZF in fact, and there's no doubt that it's brilliant. Smooth and blisteringly quick for a conventional automatic.

I trust you're enjoying the A8. :)

Regards,

Matt.

I’m no expert, but after 80k miles and ~7 years of ownership I know my way around them.

There’s many things to consider when buying. I had to compromise. I wanted, spec wise, DAB and B&O. Had to pass on B&O. Was just too rare, and I wasn’t going to buy the wrong car the right spec.

I focused on finding a car that everything worked on, that had been well maintained. Mine was a one owner.

The cars are complex and the more spec, the more there is, generally, to go wrong.

In a nutshell the EPBs are the Achilles heel of the D3. I’ve replaced both electromechanical callipers once and will likely have to replace the near side again imminently.

More import is the air suspension. I’ve had a level sensor fail, which raised the back, lowered the front and the bumper caught on a kerb.

Like I said they are complex and ageing. Still a lovely old barge tho. Big, quiet (double glazed), not slow (even the 3.0 TDi) and just a nice place to be.

Keyless entry is another common fault. The micro switches in the door handles themselves fail and cannot be serviced. So it’s replacement only, it’s a fiddly job and you need them colour coded.

They are very hard on their batteries too, as standard. Lots of owners find their batteries flat after leaving the car for a week or two.

I can’t see me parting with mine TBH, the whole family love it. Hence me getting a second car to have some fun with, rather than get rid.

Back