I have lost both keys

sean

As the heading says I have lost both keys and I have had to resort to using the plastic blank key that came with the car.

Is there a recommended key supplier. I think I can get a key cut from the blank plastic one, I always thought there was an immobiliser built into the key?

If I can buy a couple of new keys how difficult is it to program the remotes to the car?

Its only a matter of time before the plastic one snaps off in the lock knowing my luck .

Thanks for any help
Sean

Does the car start with the plastic key? If not you may have some problems getting the immobilizer sorted...…..it will need a good locksmith with automotive equipment.

It is! :)

Sean,

Can you start the car with the plastic key? If your immobiliser is fully enabled and working, you should find that the engine stops within a second of being started. Is that the case?

Cheers,

Tom
Hi,
Yes car starts and runs fine with the plastic key.......should it not run?

Hi,
Yes car starts and runs fine with the plastic key.......should it not run?
The A2 was supplied from new with a 'valet key', which is an entirely plastic key. This doesn't contain a transponder chip, meaning it can be used to open the doors but not to start the engine. If the valet key is able to start the engine, then someone has previously disabled the immobiliser.
This is good news and bad news. It means that your car is still mobile despite you having lost the two keys with the transponder chips, which is great. However, it also means that your car is more vulnerable to theft.

I can re-enable the immobiliser. This ought to be done during the programming of one/two new keys, which is also something I can do. However, I'm currently in Lancaster and won't be in your neck of the woods for at least a month or so...

Cheers,

Tom

Sure my brothers 2000 plate passats plastic key starts the car and has an immobiliser chip built in as his immo is active!
[email protected]
Can cut keys to a picture but obvs not code them as needs the vehicle

Sure my brothers 2000 plate passats plastic key starts the car and has an immobiliser chip built in as his immo is active!
Hmmm... you may be right. Having done some research, it seems some valet keys do indeed contain a transponder chip. In such cases, the valet key's limitation is that is cannot be used to access the boot or the glovebox. In the case of the A2, there are no separate locks on the boot and glovebox. This raises the question of whether the A2's valet key is any different to a standard key, other than being made of plastic and not having remote fob functions.
Either way, the valet key can be used to get replacement blades cut. If the new blades start the car without any software work, then we know the immobiliser is switched off. If the new blades don't start the car, then we know the immobiliser is active, but the keys will need programming to the vehicle.

Cheers,

Tom

The A2 was supplied from new with a 'valet key', which is an entirely plastic key. This doesn't contain a transponder chip, meaning it can be used to open the doors but not to start the engine. If the valet key is able to start the engine, then someone has previously disabled the immobiliser.
This is good news and bad news. It means that your car is still mobile despite you having lost the two keys with the transponder chips, which is great. However, it also means that your car is more vulnerable to theft.

I can re-enable the immobiliser. This ought to be done during the programming of one/two new keys, which is also something I can do. However, I'm currently in Lancaster and won't be in your neck of the woods for at least a month or so...

Cheers,

Tom
Hi Thanks for the reply. Im happy not to have the immobiliser not working. Its strange as I have had the car since 2006 from an elderly first owner. I have one more place to look for the spare key (we have rented our house and things are everywhere!) Can I contact you when you are down this way? Many thanks
Sean

Its strange as I have had the car since 2006 from an elderly first owner.
In which case, unless the first owner requested that the immo be switched off, which strikes me unlikely, I think we can conclude that there is a transponder chip in your plastic valet key and that the immo is still active.

I'm more than happy to do the key programming for you. Are you confident about using the valet key as your default for a while?

Cheers,

Tom

Thinks.......... If a key was 'lost' inside the car could it still sync with the immobiliser allowing the plastic key to start the engine

Cheers Spike

Thinks.......... If a key was 'lost' inside the car could it still sync with the immobiliser allowing the plastic key to start the engine

Cheers Spike
Hi I have looked everywhere within the car its defo not in the car. Thanks

In which case, unless the first owner requested that the immo be switched off, which strikes me unlikely, I think we can conclude that there is a transponder chip in your plastic valet key and that the immo is still active.

I'm more than happy to do the key programming for you. Are you confident about using the valet key as your default for a while?

Cheers,

Tom
Yep I will be gentle with it as it looks easy to snap it off in the ignition lock! Thanks again

Yep I will be gentle with it as it looks easy to snap it off in the ignition lock! Thanks again
Take a good close up picture of both sides of your plastic key NOW before it breaks. Then if needs be you can at least get a couple of blades cut from the bloke on eBay, in fact you will need them anyway to make up new fobs.

Andy

Having just lost a single VW remote key and replaced / coded it via dealer... sit down somewhere comfy...

The whole lot was €200 for a single key.. and you have lost two keys... I hope this isn't the cost for you....

Then, having got the new key, we found the old "lost" one under the scabby blanket the cat sleeps on.

FOUND ONE KEY :):):) Thanks for all the replies, Im sure when we get our house back we will find the spare key, in the meanwhile im going to take close up pics of the spare plastic one.

Thanks again for all the replies.............now for the wheel bearing noise

Back