Im Currently listening to ...

wooly A2

I Found this great thread on another forum

Just let us no what your listening too at the moment
What your listening too in the car at home
even in the shower ......

Tell us if its good or bad what are your faves and who keep u coming back for more ....

Ive always been a fan of Moby but ive been a lifelong fan off the Cocteau Twins ...

But my current faves is anything by Sigur Ros especially Ara Batur ,what an awesome track

come on lets hear what you've got to offer .....:)

Good idea Carl - surprised you're not listening to choral works, but then that may be a little too much!

I've got very eclectic tastes, with my cd collection ranging from Abba to Yello, via The Cure (entire discography) and all points in between.

I've recently (well, 5 years or so since) got into Pink Floyd and rarely play anything else, unless it's one of Gilmours' solo works (On An Island is an absolute masterpiece), so yes, that;s right, I've been listening to Floyd pretty much exclusively for the last 5 years or so! Animals is my current favourite (the one with the cover photo of the pig over Battersea pwoer station).

Been intrigued by Lily Allens latest offering too and can't stop humming the tune to F*ck You - annoyingly catchy, but I can't see a radio edit being easy to make!

Cheers,

Mike

Ive always been a fan of Moby but ive been a lifelong fan off the Cocteau Twins ...
But my current faves is anything by Sigur Ros especially Ara Batur ,what an awesome track
come on lets hear what you've got to offer .....:)
Brilliant idea Carl - my other passion outside of A2's is music, and it turns out we have similar taste! ;)

I love Sigur Ros! Saw them live at the Glasgow Carling Academy on my birthday last year (surprise from Fi) absolutely stunning performance. For such a skinny wee lad, Jonnsi is a compelling presence on stage with that ethereal voice and playing the electric guitar with a violin bow. The drummer is also amazing - thumps those skins like he's had TANKS remap! :)
My fave track of theirs will be Glosoli from the Takk album. Have you got the translations for their records? PM me if you havent and I'll mail you a link to the website ;)

Also a great admirer of the Cocteau Twins and I have most of Mr Guthrie and Ms Fraser's work - a great Scottish group and arguably Grangemouth's finest export! Robin's a highly underrated guitarist and Elisabeth's voice is one of the greatest in modern music - brings me to tears!

Currently listening to the new U2 offering in the house/car - well everywhere!:eek: They are my favourite band and this is another 'fan' club I subscribe to. The new album is fantastic IMHO!
Other faves are The Blue Nile, Coldplay, Daniel Lanois, Enya, The Killers, Massive Attack, The Smashing Pumpkins ---- the list goes on..............:D

Last edited:
Good idea Carl - surprised you're not listening to choral works, but then that may be a little too much!

Been intrigued by Lily Allens latest offering too and can't stop humming the tune to F*ck You - annoyingly catchy, but I can't see a radio edit being easy to make!

Cheers,

Mike
Yes ive played the Wessex Male Voice Choir CD's to death but only because ive had to because ive been learning all the tracks as i have my first concert coming up at Malmsbury abbey on May 9th , and ive also found myself listening to Andrea Bocelli but when i need to get away from it all it always comes back to Sigur Ros ....

Ara Batur by Sigur Ros is 9 Minutes long and very choral and was recorded at abbey road studios with a 62 piece orchestra
and they used the same choir that sang a lot of the music in the Harry Potter films the last 3 minutes are spellbinding ,
definatly the most amazing track ....You can find it on You Tube

Mike the first time i heard the Lilly Allen track Jess was playing it and i quite liked it another one that springs to mind
is Kate Nash and D***h**d not sure on that one though LOL !!!!

Last edited:
Brilliant idea Carl - my other passion outside of A2's is music, and it turns out we have similar taste! ;)

I love Sigur Ros! Saw them live at the Glasgow Carling Academy on my birthday last year (surprise from Fi) absolutely stunning performance. For such a skinny wee lad, Jonnsi is a compelling presence on stage with that ethereal voice and playing the electric guitar with a violin bow. The drummer is also amazing - thumps those skins like he's had TANKS remap! :)
My fave track of theirs will be Glosoli from the Takk album.

Also a great admirer of the Cocteau Twins and I have most of Mr Guthrie and Ms Fraser's work - a great Scottish group and arguably Grangemouth's finest export! Robin's a highly underrated guitarist and Elisabeth's voice is one of the greatest in modern music - brings me to tears!

Currently listening to the new U2 offering in the house/car - well everywhere!:eek: They are my favourite band and this is another 'fan' club I subscribe to. The new album is fantastic IMHO!
Other faves are The Blue Nile, Coldplay, Daniel Lanois, Enya, The Killers, Massive Attack, The Smashing Pumpkins ---- the list goes on..............:D

I Cant beleive you've been to see Sigur Ros im well jealous i watched them perform live at Xmas on MTV i think it was in Canada so i no what your saying about the singing and the drums LOL !!!!

My favourite tracks of theres are
Ara Batur ,Saeglopur ,Glosoli ,Festival, Hoppipola...

I Love U2 but im really not sure about the New Track
And Coldplay well i have all there Albums another Band i would love to see Live
and never managed to get tickets for ...

I No all the words to the Rush of blood to the head album and X&Y thats the one im normally singing to in the car when on my way to an A2 Social LOL !!!!

music!

Skipton invited me to introduce myself a few days ago ... and this music thread from Woolly is certainly enough to get me out of the woodwork (-;

This is me ...
I'm proud owner of a 1.4TDI (90) 54 plate in Maurit blue ... I wanted an A2 from the very first moment I first saw one (it was that gorgeous curve of the roofline from the base of the screen to the end of the rear window that did it for me) ... but the price was a trifle heady back then. So I waited until production stopped and got me mine then ((((((((((-:
Current wish list is a set of pepperpots (15), 'high profile tyres' & some FSDs (all in pursuit of a finer ride), a towbar, and to wire in iPod and Cruise. Might need some expert assistance on the latter, tho.

'Once upon a time' I was headed into a career as professional musician but then chucked it all away for one in Life Sciences ... leaving music as a great joy unspoilt by it being work as well ("never make your hobby your work"?). My listening today has been dominated by the impact of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY&feature=related, which is simply phenomenal, especially from a societal perspective; if there's anyone that doesn't believe in dreams, listen to this. In just 2 days this video has more hits than last years' winner has accumulated to date. But it's far from my usual listening.

Until I've figured out how to wire up my iPod my in-car listening is CDs (but I deny being a luddite!) ... from Angel Song (Kenny Wheeler, Lee Konitz, Dave Holland, Bill Frisell: cool jazz), to Vivaldi (James Bowman, Stabat mater), taking in Bach (YoYoMa's cello pefromance), The Cure, David Gray, KD Lang, Lalo (more cello), Mariza (Portuguese fado, with cello), Muller (more cello ... spot the theme emerging here?), Mozart, Pink Floyd (Wall, Dark Side, WYWH), Sanatana (who ELSE plays guitar like that?!) along the way. Oh, and there's a copy of The Eagles 'Hotel California' (ahem).

I've been quietly benefiting from the massive cumulative A2-related wisdom on this site for ~2years now & I'm invariably impressed at the depth and breadth of know-how that's available here ... the A2OC was one of the reasons I felt 'safe' buying an 'out of production' car. Thanks everyone, I wouldn't have dared buy this great car without A2OC being there.

I'm in central Herts. If anyone needs guidance around the local Stealers I'm happy offer my experiences ...

Sting: All this time. The Focal test discs - these are so good I don't care about the music, the recording is top.
Remastered version of Bad - Excellently done
Poets of the Fall: Revolution Roulette - not bad standard Finnish rock
Absolute Garbage
Herbert Grönemeyer Unplugged (fantastic quality recording)
Right this second, it's "Where the light falls", John Mayer live. It's not as well recorded as I'd hoped, but he really is good and the atmosphere is good.
Patricia Kaas' "Rendez-vous"; Lara Fabian's "Pure"; Keb'mo "Keep it simple" and "Slow down"; Die Toten Hosen Nur zu besuch / Live im Wiener Oper; Annett Louisan, Ismo Alanko Säätiö, Robbie Williams' "Swing while you're winning"; The Phil Collins Big Band's "A hot night in Paris". Don Johnson Big Band - "DJBB" and "Breaking Daylight" - a finnish guy who can rap in English with superb background and an angelic Emma Salokoski. Mmmmhhh.
Floyd's Pulse.

Common denominator: They're all about realistic reproduction of emotion. I'm running Sennheiser HD600s at work....

Want an original copy of Jack Johson's album (can't think which one), the OGG doesn't cut it any more. Same for All this time.

There's a really cool moment in the Mayer disc (disc 1, track 11) where he says "let me first say, how wonderful it feels to know that it's 2007 and we just launched into a slow blues and 7000 people in LA went nuts. All is not lost." 'nuff said :)

Bret

Last edited:
The last few CDs in my car or at home have been more or less in this order:

Bill Bruford: Earthworks (jazz, where every track is in a key signature other than 4)
Francis Pott: The Cloud of Unknowing (sacred choral music of the most profound nature)
Seal: Seal 2 - the production on this album is 2nd to none
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon (SuperAudio CD re-release on my home system)
U2 - Best of (their early stuff is still spine-tingling)
Snow Patrol: can't remember the name of the ablum but the one with Chasing Cars on it
Tenebrae: Mother and Child (another sacred choral music CD which just blows you away)
Prodigy: Aliens Must Die
Durufle: Requiem (more sumptuous sacred choral music)

I'm a musician in my spare time - a singer (high tenor), and I used to be a gigging bass player in my "youth" (my JayDee/Trace Elliot rig is sadly collecting dust these days) - and my home hifi is one of my pieces of kit I'm most proud of - PMC FB1s bi-amped with Arcam 9s.

I've got a musical taste that is difficult to pin down other than that if it's a good example of the genre I'll listen to it!

My 3 year old currently enjoys sticking on some of my old Ministry of Sound compilations from around 1995-2000 and cranking up the volume to "dance" to, which also is rather good fun in a reminding me of my youth kind of way!

Well i'm a little bit country and a little bit rock n' roll as Donny and Marie would say lol, my Ipod in the car for the last 6 months has been on shuffle so i can go from Floyd to Metallica to Keith urban, system of a down, stevie ray vaughn, Dwight yoakam (Cheryl's fav) whitesnake then to Howard jones love the 80's stuff, so a big mix in the car. At home at the mo its Y&T

Cheers Phil

Brilliant idea Carl -

I too have been a big fan of U2 since i was dragged by a 'shipmate' to a gig at the portsmouth guildhall in 1983, an amazing performance which was captured really well 3 months later at red rocks canyon and released on video (nearly said dvd, but kinda think they werent out then !!)

My musical taste went from the wombles to abba to (in 1977) the stranglers, the clash, stiff little fingers. then developing into human league, howard jones ! new order, OMD, a flock of seagulls, U2 and others.

not much happened musically for me after that until late 2006 when after enduring 4 years of baby stuff, cbeebies, nickjr and not much else i happened upon a documentary on MTV where 2 unlikely bands get together and record some stuff, this one was Linkin Park and JayZ, i was impressed with what i heard and went out and bought all the stuff Linkin Park had done, their first album - Hybrid theory starts with 'one step closer' a really powerful mix between 'metal' and rap which became known as nu-metal.

since then we have used my obsession with this band to visit london, sweden, czech republic, germany, canada, ireland, manchester. the live experience is amazing and whenever i'm in the car alone one of the recorded live performances (usually hanover or toronto) is turned up as high as it will go without distortion, LOVE IT.

Currently playing in my MX-5, since my wife has 1st dibs on the A2 for work at the moment ;)

Bruce Sprintsteen - Best of - can't beat a bit of "dancing in the dark" to get you singing in the morning!

Brandi Carlisle - The Story - Worth a listen if you like female country / rock with an edge, beautiful album

Death Cab for Cutie - Plans - Cool relaxing american style rock

Beth Rowney - not sure of the album name - Dido crossed with Duffy, a bit like Amy Winhouse, but with some class!

Dire Straits - Making Movies - Boyhood favourite band, and the best live act I have ever seen, this is an underrated album and doesn't have a weak track

Radiohead - Pablo Honey - Classic rock, when Radiohead wrote songs with tunes!

A mixed bag, and there are plenty more on my MP3 SD card reader installed, but these are my current favourites.

I do wish there was a version of the Audilink MP3 adapter I have in my MX-5 made for the A2! It is really simple!

Cheers,

David

I liked the first Linkin Park album but felt the 2nd didn't really add much or take them forward musically - almost (dare I say it) felt like a lot of the tracks were written when they wrote the first one but weren't good enough to make the cut first time round?

Steve Vai, now there's a guitarist I've not heard for a long time, does he still play his 7string guitar? I bought a couple of Jo Satriani albums just recently, some of his real classics like Surfing with the Alien which was about £3 in HMV!

I got the new Elbow album but haven't even put it in the CD player yet.

Radiohead - Pablo Honey - oh yes that's a raw album isn't it! Creep is such a good song. It's amazing how their albums went from strength to strength from there to OK Computer via The Bends...

Nowadays I mostly listen to the radio on my way to work. But on longer journeys I want to select the music by myself. Then, depending on my mood, I might play some great jazz like Terje Rypdal, Pat Metheny or Pekka Pohjola. Or then I could choose something more lyrical like Pink Floyd or Peter Gabriel. Sometimes, especially when I don't have my family with me, I might go for Frank Zappa :)

I've recently (well, 5 years or so since) got into Pink Floyd and rarely play anything else, unless it's one of Gilmours' solo works (On An Island is an absolute masterpiece), so yes, that;s right, I've been listening to Floyd pretty much exclusively for the last 5 years or so!

Have you got Gilmour's Live in Gdansk album? Very good, and rarely leaves the A2's CD slot. 2 Live DVDs if you buy the right version too.

I'm currently (still) listening a lot to Loud Louder Stop, by the Neil Cowley Trio.

Have you got Gilmour's Live in Gdansk album? Very good, and rarely leaves the A2's CD slot. 2 Live DVDs if you buy the right version too.

I'm currently (still) listening a lot to Loud Louder Stop, by the Neil Cowley Trio.

I have indeed - the 5-disc version too, with the backstage passes, plectrums and all manner of things.

On An Island, the 3rd Gilmour solo album which forms the mainstay of the Gdansk set, is possibly the most perfect and complete album that he and Floyd have ever done.

The only weak point is Take a Breath - just doesn't fit in with the rest of the set.

Unlike most people though, I always think of Floyd of going through 4 phases, not 3 (Barrett led, Waters led and Gilmour led) - after Barrett started singing a different tune, to me there was a period of no leadership as such, but complete collaboration - this produced the Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon albums, which showcase the absolute best work by the band (Echoes in particular).

After this, Waters took over, during the Wish You Were Here period and the following 3 albums were too political and angry for my liking, although they contained moments of genius (like Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb and Goodbye Blue Sky).

The last song on the last Floyd album is a fitting end as well - one that I never tire of listening to.

I'll stop now, as I could bore you all for ages!

Cheers,

Mike

Back