Indicators not working

a2001

I left my left Signal on while the car was parked and now the indicators aren't working.

The indicator lights flash up on the dashboard for a second then disappear. The bulbs are ok because the hazard warning lights work fine.

Most likely that the flasher relay has died. It's located behind the cubby hole above the ashtray. If you want to replace it yourself you must open the ashtray then put both fists into the cubby - pressing upward and downward - and then pull sharply. The relay is a black matchbox sized thing clipped in the area you will have exposed. I bought mine from Audi for about £30 a couple of years ago. Remember to open the ashtray or you'll definitely break it. Good luck.

I took the cubby hole out and the guy said he don't think it's the relay because the hazard lights are working and asked to see my handbook but I don't have it. He didn't know which fuse represents what.

Picture of the Audi A2 indicator relay
IMG_20180627_104002_5.jpg

[Q, ,UOTE="KekseKaempfer, post: 317468, member: 12862"]There are two separate circuits in the relay, one for indicators one for hazards. Photos of the innards can be seen in this thread.
https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/indicator-relay-for-led-bulb-modification.28520/[/QUOTE]
Or, in terms that I can understand, the fact that the hazard lights work, doesn't mean that the relay isn't faulty, causing the indicators not to work. I replaced the relay on my A2 after the indicators stopped working; although, as with the OP's car, the hazards were fine. That resolved the issue.

This is anecdotal from my old man. He told me the indicator or indicators in my A2 (used to be his) stopped working and it turned out to be the relay. He replaced the relay with a new one from Audi and that solved the problem. He then took apart the old one, cleaned up the contacts inside and tested it - it started working again.

Ok so just discovered my left and right turn signals no longer working. Hazards working ok (so assuming it's not the relay) and cruise button on stalk working. Stalk was installed around 2 weeks back and has been working perfectly until now :(

I can feel the stalk solidly clicking but it's just not activating any indication.

Any ideas? I'm meant to be driving to Italy on Thursday and I could have done without this :(

Ok so just discovered my left and right turn signals no longer working. Hazards working ok (so assuming it's not the relay) and cruise button on stalk working. Stalk was installed around 2 weeks back and has been working perfectly until now :(

I can feel the stalk solidly clicking but it's just not activating any indication.

Any ideas? I'm meant to be driving to Italy on Thursday and I could have done without this :(
I think it is the relay. The hazards and the indicators go through the relay. The mechanic thought the same as you; that it couldn't be the relay because the hazards still worked.

Do the indicator lights come up on the dashboard? Mine did and the indicators flashed a little bit, if I kept frantically moving the stalk it would almost indicate as normal.

I got a new relay fitted and that fixed the problem.

It will be the relay that is broken. If you read the posts above, you'll see that in the examples quoted, as with your car, only the turn indicators failed; replacing the relay will resolve the problem. Enjoy Italy.

Thanks you're most likely correct! Will try the fuse first them move onto the relay.

I have komfortblinker so no idea how that interfaces as Tom put it In for me last year

Oops. Was me testing for a battery drain 2 days ago. Put the fuse back row down from where it should have been. :oops:

Oops. Was me testing for a battery drain 2 days ago. Put the fuse back row down from where it should have been. :oops:
Glad to hear that it was such a simple fix; much less chance of skinned knuckles than struggling to remove the relay. Autostrada drivers will appreciate your indicators instead of hand signals I'm sure.

Glad to hear that it was such a simple fix; much less chance of skinned knuckles than struggling to remove the relay. Autostrada drivers will appreciate your indicators instead of hand signals I'm sure.
A few years since I drove in Italy but I do remember they liked to keep their indicator flashing when in the fast lane, mile after mile with no reason. Found it strange but seemed to be the custom.

Andy

I had problems with turn signals on my Audi A2 and found this thread so I disassembled the relay and sprayed with electronic cleaning and now it worked again.

Got the double din music system 6 cd and tape included in the radio in the car. This removes the cubby hole and ash tray is lower. Took out ash tray but did not find indicator and hazards relay.

Any advice greatly received.

Is the relay something that an Audi garage would have in stock as a part or need to order?

Relay is in same place, in your case behind the climate control panel, above the ashtray.
Part will need to be ordered as unlikely to be held in stock by dealers.

Back