Interesting ‘How many left’ stats

Jeffers66

A2OC Donor
Found this interesting website from A5 owners club today, some may have seen it already but if not it’s interesting, apparently I have 1 of only 5 remaining yellow TDI,s left in the UK, 1 being the elusive 90, 3 including mine are in Essex, anymore on here?
Have a little play on your own colour peeps,
Cheers Jeff.

Thanks for sharing. The number of Grey's (Dolphin) seems low to my eyes as the number of reds seems high based on what I see out on the roads and discussed on the forum. Interesting.

According to my stats http://www.alancooper.me.uk/A2/A2_stats.htm as at Sept 05 (just a few months before the last A2 was registered) there were 80 yellow A2s, so in the intervening 13.5 years 21 have been lost.

I recall there is another web site (there is a post somewhere with the link) that shows the number of A2s every year since they were introduced, but not by colour. I'm always impressed how many A2s have survived; these little cars go on and on and still look good.

Hi All,

Out of general interest, the data used by 'How Many Left' type websites is freely available from the DVLA website, under the Statistics link towards the bottom of the DVLA splashdown page, all these websites do is make it a little more palatable. Start here for a taster....

I spent a few hours perusing A2 stats and the more you look the more obvious anomalies you seem to find, it's a minefield, eg. A2's registered for the first time are still happening!, maybe A2's from Southern Ireland driven North and sold count as an import and need registering, I don't know.

One point not made clear is that during the A2 production the figures are GB based and current figures are UK; you are not comparing like with like. The discrepancy is mainly Nortern Ireland I assume, from memory I have a figure of roughly 1000 A2's sold in NI.

There is a surprisingly large number of A2's SORN, some will be yellow!

Andy

Last edited:
Some notes for anyone coming back to this thread and looking at the www.howmanyleft.co.uk web site.

The A2 figures at re split into 12 model variants and if the numbers are below 1,000 then the actual number is shown, but for numbers greater that 1,000 they are shown in the form n.nk so these could be +/- 50. E.g. 1.5k could be from 1,450 to 1,549. Of the 12 model variants in 2006, 5 variants have numbers greater that 1,000. I'm no statistician, the total could be +/- 250 but is more likely to be +/- 50.

The main screen for each vehicle does not show number of vehicles left! It shows number of vehicles licenced. If you click on any of the model variants you are taken to a screen with a graph. Scroll down and there are 2 tables: Licenced and SORN. So the total left is Licenced + SORN. Counting the total SORN for 2Q 2020 comes to 1,865.

As Andrew remarked above, given that the total number of A2s Licenced is now (2Q 2020) circa 10,000 that's an awful lot of A2s that are on SORN - almost 20%. Are the figs correct? As we know from recent Covid-19 Test and Trace, errors do happen when analysing and reporting data. Maybe it means there are 1,865 A2s waiting to be rescued! Maybe someone here is squirrelling them away for future spare parts ;)

Looking at the trends for my variant (1.4 SE petrol) there are 300-400 A2 "lost" per annum. In 5 to 7 years there will be only a handful A2s, even if one factors in the slight increase in SORNs through the years. An A2 in 2030 will be a rare sight...

Back