Intermittent sound from RHS speaker

Hi,
My mother-in-law (who owned my A2 before me) never listened to the radio - ever. So the Chorus unit in my A2 hasn't been used for 20(!) years.
And now it has I find when I switch on the sound only comes from the left hand speaker. If I fiddle with the volume I usually get full stereo.
Does anyone have any ideas?

The controls will have been in the same position for all that time. The rotary control for volume etc consists of a circular track, and a wiper that sweeps around it when you "fiddle" It's quite likely that the track and/or the wiper has got a bit oxidised or dusty, so try some excercise, turning from 0 to 11 and back lots of times. If this doesn't do the trick, remove the radio from the car, remove the front bezel (very small torx screws at the corners), and liberally squirt some contact cleaner (not WD40) into the rotary control, and, again, turn it back and forth.
Good luck.
Mac.

Alternatively, and also quite a common fault is the speaker connection block in the RH door pillar has a poor connection. Often cranking up the volume briefly is just enough current to ionise the dirt and start it working. I replaced the speaker before I discovered this ....
If the radio is virtually unused then it's unlikely the volume control will be worn out.

Alternatively, and also quite a common fault is the speaker connection block in the RH door pillar has a poor connection. Often cranking up the volume briefly is just enough current to ionise the dirt and start it working. I replaced the speaker before I discovered this ....
If the radio is virtually unused then it's unlikely the volume control will be worn out.
I was not suggesting the rotary control was worn out, just that if the wiper had sat in one place for a long time, the track will have oxidised, as will the wiper.
A bit of excercise, and possibly contact cleaner would help.
Mac.

Back