Introducing project Jaipur

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
As some of you may know, last year I stumbled across an A2 horder local to me with around 10 A2s left to "rot" in his field.

My intention was to save what I could and break the rest.

One such car from the field is project Jaipur.

Initially bought as a breaker (the panels were intended for @Jellybean 's car), plans changed when it arrived.

It had been left standing for over 2 years when it had failed it's MOT on a few small items. The tyres had gone flat, the interior was full of mould, but it did start and run with a jump pack.

rps20190717_144519.jpg

Here's some photos of when it arrived

rps20190717_143521.jpg

rps20190717_143602.jpg

rps20190717_143642.jpg

And after a quick pressure wash
rps20190717_144020.jpg

Last edited:
Now one of the things that appealed to me about the car is that it Appears to be a European spec import. The spec is rather strange on it. The first noticeable thing being the black plastic mirror caps and door handles.

It is a pre 51 plate car having hard touch switches, non brushed alu clocks etc etc and yet is registered as a 51 plate car.

It is registered just as a 1.4 on the logbook and has a strange combination of spec. It has no interior alarm sensor, a false floor, foglights, cream leather and had 15 inch alloys. It doesn't state that it's an import on the logbook, but certainly doesn't seem to be UK spec.

Last edited:
The first job was to set about the interior, mainly so that I could actually sit in it without catching something.

Before on the left and after the right (Not that it needs explaining)

rps20190717_150724.jpg

A lot of scrubbing and cleaning got this as an end result

rps20190716_082147.jpg

Last edited:
There were a list of mechanical issues that needed sorting, but nothing too serious

- cracked rear spring
- EML for catalytic converter efficiency
- discs and pads in a terrible condition
- ABS and brake warning light on
- surface rust on rear axle
- spongy brakes

Because my garage is almost always filled by a breaker, I usually put this sort of work out to a trusted local mechanic, but seeing as he was fully booked for 3 weeks, I decided to have a go myself.

Last edited:
Another Jaipur on the road and only 30 miles between them, there has to be a photo op there, perhaps when I come to collect my next recycled part?
They are such an unusual colour.
Good work on the clean.

rps20190717_142839.jpg

Next up was tackling the ABS fault. A clear of the fault codes and re-drive brought up only one code.. YAW sensor, but being an early model car, it was proving quite difficult to find one. The forum came to the rescue, or moreso @beady73 who sent me one free of charge, it was fitted today and works perfectly. I'm very grateful to him.

Next up were the spongy brakes.

Before
rps20190717_142803.jpg

After
rps20190717_142822.jpg

I can't believe I had been test driving this car around my estate, when removing the pads they fell into pieces and were more than dangerous.

New padig discs and pads saw to that.

I've bled the brakes, but they are still a little spongy for my liking, stops the car lovely, but will give it another go.

Last edited:
My next job was to clean up the rear axle with a wire head drill and get rid of the unsightly surface rust. When I jacked up the car the rear springs fell out, they were so badly broken.

I plan to have another go at the rear axle when I have more time and paint it all in gloss black hammerite, but for now and certainly for the MOT at least it's had a quick coat of plastidip.

New rear springs and spring cups fitted from Crew Audi. New shocks will be fitted in due course.

rps20190717_164225.jpg

The Catalytic converter efficiency issue seems to have been resolved by using Cataclean. It's available from Halfords at a reasonable price of £12.99 and seems to do what it says on the tin. It certainly worked on a previous 1.4 AUA I needed to get through an MOT.

So next up is the MOT, I'll get it booked in for next week sometime and see how it goes.

I've got a Clay bar at the ready and I'm really looking forward to deep cleaning this car.

It's got the potential to be a cracker. Apart from a light crease on the drivers side doors(which youn wouldn't notice at first) it's a very straight and clean car.

Well done Steve. Shame about the panels for mone, but this keeps another on the road!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20190717-204647_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well I think that confirms it as being an import. Year of manufacture 2000, date of first registration 2002.

Has anyone got access to a proper history check? Would be nice to know more.

Back