vaderstep

Hey! Been wanting an a2 for years, for that sweet sweet milage and that aluminium body. I wish to do a full service on it once i buy one, and see how many years i can keep it. But before i buy one, id love to hear from you guys, wich edition/year/engine is prefered ? Maybe they all are pretty equal ? i have no idea.
I will provide a link to the available cars in Norway now, if anyone would be interested in seeing whats available here.
id be interested in doing whatever mods are common/ sensical to improve milage even further.
The car would be used mostly for short trips on a dayli basis and a few long trips each year.
The car is super cheap here so budget isnt really an issue.

Cheers !

Welcome aboard :) We have a few other active members in Norway too.

I like the AMF engine in the 1.4TDI, they were made up to about August 2003 when they were replaced by the BHC. Rugged and relatively simple. Euro3 emissions though, I don't know how well that would go down in Norway.

If you want an emission-restriction friendly car the Euro 4 1.4 petrol engine is most suited, also considering you're planning short trips.

Welcome to this wonderful community. I am a fan of the 1.4 TDI (ATL), and not just because of the red 'I' on the back. Pretty powerful for such a small engine, yet very frugal at the same time. Even puts my Volvo XC70 D5 to shame on a 0 to 100 km an hour sprint :)

I like the AMF engine in the 1.4TDI, they were made up to about August 2003 when they were replaced by the BHC. Rugged and relatively simple. Euro3 emissions though, I don't know how well that would go down in Norway.
Hmm , ok. Thanks for your reply ! by yours and the other replies , i think im gonna go for a petrol engine then. how about spare parts ? readily available ? :D

Welcome to this wonderful community. I am a fan of the 1.4 TDI (ATL), and not just because of the red 'I' on the back. Pretty powerful for such a small engine, yet very frugal at the same time. Even puts my Volvo XC70 D5 to shame on a 0 to 100 km an hour sprint :)
Thanks ! i feel very welcome already. I used to have a fast car, and lost my license for 2 years, getting it back soon. Before scrolling thru the forums , i pictured the main interest with these cars was mpg/hypermiling/fuel economy. But im seeing alot of general modifications and just love for the car itself. cheers !

Should be no shortage of spares. Both 1.4 petrol engines (AUA, BBY) were used in other VAGs e.g. Polo, Fabia. A2-specific things can be shipped from UK (within reason), @Clackers and @A2Steve are our resident ethical recyclers.

Edit: I keep forgetting about the 1.6FSI with the BAD petrol engine (sorry FSI owners :oops:). This is one that you will need to read up on and make up your own mind about. Plenty of info and opinions on here ?

Last edited:
I fully agree that the ATL is a stunning motor, though, you can buy 3x AHA for a 2005 Storm ATL in Norway.....
It is noted that @vanderstep indicated that budget was no issue but not sure if it doesn't matter when one see a 3x factor....

There is 56 on my list, do you know the exact number?

Cheers
dieselfan

I fully agree that the ATL is a stunning motor, though, you can buy 3x AHA for a 2005 Storm ATL in Norway.....
It is noted that @vanderstep indicated that budget was no issue but not sure if it doesn't matter when one see a 3x factor....

There is 56 on my list, do you know the exact number?

Cheers
dieselfan
Hey guys :D " you can buy 3x AHA for a 2005 Storm ATL in Norway" what does all this mean ? i tried googling it and found some
hurricane in america ?

Hey guys :D " you can buy 3x AHA for a 2005 Storm ATL in Norway" what does all this mean ? i tried googling it and found some
hurricane in america ?
Sorry, my mistake
AHA is engine code for 1.4 petrol engine 75hp
ATL is engine code for 1.4 TDI diesel 90hp

A good start to get fast up to speed is to read these brilliant threads:

@vaderstep - my knowledge related to petrol A2 is limited but I will still advice you to decide whether you are "petrolhead or dieselgeek"
if you go for diesel you then will have choose between some quite different models....

1.2TDI 61hp ANY - the complex, low consuption, VERY few workshops can help you, some expensive parts, 4x100, very light, only LHD
1.4TDI 75hp AMF - the simple one, most robust longrunner, Webasto aux coolant heater, -2003
1.4TDI 75hp BHC - almost as simple as AMF. Electrical aux heater of air, 2003-
1.4TDI 90hp ATL - the strongest, fastest and most expensive, multi mass flywheel

Please, could some advice the petrol alternatives for him? (and also supplement the above...)

Cheers
dieselfan

All A2s have brakeparts, wheel bearings, oilfilter, dieselfilter, driveshafts, waterpump, timing belt, alternator+++ shared with VW Polo, Golf, Seat's and Skoda's so maintenance parts should be available for decades..... most of them are very afforable

Here is some info so you can get up to speed on A2

Attachments

• A2-frame.jpg
    A2-frame.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Audi A2 U3A Talk v15 slide 52 2L Weight Reduction.jpg
    Audi A2 U3A Talk v15 slide 52 2L Weight Reduction.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 184
  • audi_a2 dimensions.jpg
    audi_a2 dimensions.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 170
Back