Introduction - Just joined the A2OC after buying A2

a_nd_s

Hello,

I just bought Adam's uma A2 1.4 petrol. Wanted to introduce myself. Having used Audi's for over 20 years I'd thought about getting an A2 a number of times, especially an opensky but never had the right circumstances. With my Son going to a new Special School about 6 miles away I found this a silly journey in my diesel Q7 and so finally had the right reasons to get one. Of course I needed a well sorted car without major work needed. As I ran a 2003 Allroad for many many years there's a lot of familiarity in the set up. I still had OBDeleven Pro which works nicely on the A2 though took about 5 minutes to recognize it.

Anyway. Uma is now pootling to and fro the school every day and will continue to do so for at least the next 4 years. So plenty of regular use and regular care.

I'm not planning to do anything though if any 15 inch pepperpots with winter tyres come up I might be up for those.

Cheers
Andy

Hello,

I just bought Adam's uma A2 1.4 petrol. Wanted to introduce myself. Having used Audi's for over 20 years I'd thought about getting an A2 a number of times, especially an opensky but never had the right circumstances. With my Son going to a new Special School about 6 miles away I found this a silly journey in my diesel Q7 and so finally had the right reasons to get one. Of course I needed a well sorted car without major work needed. As I ran a 2003 Allroad for many many years there's a lot of familiarity in the set up. I still had OBDeleven Pro which works nicely on the A2 though took about 5 minutes to recognize it.

Anyway. Uma is now pootling to and fro the school every day and will continue to do so for at least the next 4 years. So plenty of regular use and regular care.

I'm not planning to do anything though if any 15 inch pepperpots with winter tyres come up I might be up for those.

Cheers
Andy
You lucky devil. That’s without doubt one of the nicest and most sorted A2’s of its type out there. A total credit to its former keepers and I hope you enjoy it. Just to warn you though, one A2 is rarely enough……..

Welcome aboard Andy,
What a very special car you have managed to capture. Well done, I had the the peasure of seeing it at "Audis in the Park".

Best wishes
Simon

Andy, congrats on buying Adam (my son's) A2. Full credit to you in a simple transaction, I hope she gives you many years of trouble free motoring.

If you do change the wheels there would be lots of interest on here for those 17's with new Bridgestone's

I guess Adam and I have to change our avatar now! We do still have one A2 in the driveway anyway with a similar interior.

Ian

Hello

Just a quick update, 2 years in. I must admit I meant to write an update a year ago, but like a lot of good intentions I tend to get round to it a lot later than I would like to.

So a few updates on things I have done or events that happened over the last couple of years.

The car has been doing its duty of ferrying my Son to/from his school and more. Its about 18 miles per day. Very much urban jungle as we navigate city rat runs to get round the traffic. So it does get some hard work in the lower gears and on the brakes.

Sort of in order:

• My drive has quite a slope and so I had been using the handbrake until I could get a secure heavy fence post for the car to rest against. Of course as fate would have it, one rear caliper seized on and I ended up having to replace it along with rear handbrake cables. I now have a concrete fence post in the drive so it can rest against it – no more using handbrake 😊. I changed the rear discs too for some shiny Brembo ones at the same time.
  • Brake Switch – why do they go? … not a great problem as eBay was my friend and I picked up a green one in no time. I took apart the old one and could not figure out why the car no longer liked it. It did take a few days for the warning light to go out.
  • Battery, I must put it on the ctek over the Christmas period …. Did I …. Nope forgot to get around to it. By the time I remembered 2 weeks later the Battery was dead and I had to charge by the cigarette lighter socket for a bit until I could unlock the boot. I tried the manual release but did not want to break it. I now have a ctek connector wired in up near the top of the back so it can be easily reached from inside. I took the opportunity to upgrade the battery to a F19 Varta Silver Dynamic 85Ah . This now means I can go for a month without topping it. Because of all the short journeys it will never be able to fully charge the battery on the distance alone.
  • Dipstick – broke. Fortunately, as I was drawing it out. I got a cheap one from China on eBay and because it was too long, I cut it and drilled the head of the old original dipstick by about an inch and used industrial superglue to fix the head. Works very well now.
  • Front discs, replaced these with some nice coated Pagid discs. Having cleaned the pins and loctited them in its Very nice and progressive now.
  • Front drivers Door check strap – had to replace with one from Deproman. It was one of his originals. I guess all the door opening and closing multiple times every day wore it down.
  • Rear puncture – I only realised this after getting a lot of wheelspin when starting off. Having got the puncture repaired and put back on – I still got wheelspin. Thinking my pressure gauge was not very accurate got a new one so I could balance the rear pressures exactly to one decimal point and only then was wheelspin stopped. Surprised at how sensitive it is to having them perfectly balanced.
We are 141k+ miles now. Just changed the oil and filters. It just passed the MOT with no advisories. I was told the emissions was on the wire, but given I had not given it a blast or any cataclean it’s pretty good. I will have to remember for next year.

One thing I noticed was that early on I would get all sorts of aircon flap error codes (I use OBDeleven) and sometimes a few lock codes throw up. With all the daily use – they have all gone….

One of the cupholders has popped out – our journey can be pretty bumpy so it’s not a surprise – at some point I’ll need to repair it – but for now it’s held in by blutak.

Cheers

Andy

I hope the concrete post is covered in something suitably thick to protect the paint!

Ah that’s put my OCD to rest, had visions of bare concrete on the lovely bumper paintwork of your car!

Back