Iron or aluminum?

bono05

On a beam with disc brakes from TDI - iron brackets.
2020122094317.jpg

On the beam with drums from AUA - aluminum.
IMG_20200501_180527.jpg

Why such a decision? Is it possible to put aluminum on tdi or will it be bad?

Is it just an age thing, aluminium changed for iron during evolution to save cost? Our BBY has iron FYI.

Is it just an age thing, aluminium changed for iron during evolution to save cost? Our BBY has iron FYI.

Thank. Thus, if I change the beam and put aluminum instead of iron, will this not affect any characteristics other than mass?

Wasn't it the A2 1.2 TDi (the 3L version not sold in the UK) that had aluminium suspension (to save weight and achieve the 3 litres per 100km (c98mpg)) ? If so, then the parts may not be interchangeable with a standard A2

Wasn't it the A2 1.2 TDi (the 3L version not sold in the UK) that had aluminium suspension (to save weight and achieve the 3 litres per 100km (c98mpg)) ? If so, then the parts may not be interchangeable with a standard A2

No, they are totally different to the standard A2, even different to that on the Lupo 3L, although that also had aluminium suspension. Incidentally the Lupo FSI (5L petrol version of the 3L) had titanium rear springs!

RAB

Probably done as the tdi was front heavy compared to the 1.4 petrol
Hence the battery in the back and some ballast on the back end as well
Suspect the 1.4 petrol being much lighter up front did not need the ballast and so had the lighter rear suspension setup
Not much point using ally to keep the weight down then adding ballast at the same area

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably done as the tdi was front heavy compared to the 1.4 petrol
Hence the battery in the back and some ballast on the back end as well
Suspect the 1.4 petrol being much lighter up front did not need the ballast and so had the lighter rear suspension setup
Not much point using ally to keep the weight down then adding ballast at the same area

Paul

Paul, as mentioned above our BBY petrol has the iron hangers, so its not a petrol/diesel thing. I still think its age related, perhaps the earlier cars had aluminium that was changed to iron to save manufacturing costs later on.

Ian

Back