Issues with the forum today following an outage

2work

Well Known Member
United-Kingdom
All,

When sending a PM you may well receive an error as pointed out by a few members already. This is also true for adding posts to some threads. I’m personally experiencing the exact same whilst responding to various members and threads.

Until this issue is resolved and to avoid double/duplicate posting can I suggest the following:

1. Once you've typed your message, be it PM or a thread post, select/highlight your message and copy it
2. Hit send/post reply
3. If you don't get an error then all is good, if you do get an error then move to step 4
4. Refresh your page and see if your message has actually been added to the PM/thread, if not then paste it and try again but refresh after each attempt to post.
5. That should aid you not double/duplicate posting your intended content

All should be back as it was soon enough but unfortunately that's all I can offer for now until the Admin Team catch up later on this evening.

Kind regards,

Tom

@Darren C did reply to this post in its original thread, I've moved it to this one but now it doesn't appear to exist anymore :oops:

Anyway, just to say, he's made @ben aware of the situation. We're currently only just at the end of the working day, which will lead on to the early evening routines of a young family, but hopefully we'll have some more news later on this evening.

Just to note also, the update issue also seems to happen when reacting to posts using the Like function. If you refresh, you should see that it's been applied.

I've raised a critical issue with our hosting vendor. It appears they've moved our server without warning to a new machine, and many of the libraries we need to run our software are not standard on this new machine. I'm also currently unable to gain access to correct it. Clearly the vendor has mucked up on this. I will report back when I'm in contact with their support team.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

If it helps, I've also found posting throws an error "other messages have been posted, would you like to see them?" then when you click yes, the other message is in fact the message I just posted! Or just now I got "A server error occurred. Please try again later." when I clicked post, but then refreshing the page reveals the post to be there all the same.

Last edited:
If it helps, I've also found posting throws an error "other messages have been posted, would you like to see them?" then when you click yes, the other message is in fact the message I just posted!
Evening David,

This has already been captured so no need for pictorial evidence for this particular observation. Thank you for raising it though and please do continue to report any additional annoyances you notice so Ben can be fully armed to rectify these temporary glitches.

Kind regards,

Tom

My posts are constantly being deleted. I advise members to wait until Ben announces a resolution prior to resuming normal service. The platform is currently too buggy to be relied upon.

I couldn't even log in this morning, saying your browser is not private or something in that line, but started to work later in the day, however when tried to load a picture, wouldn't load saying an error occurred, but it loaded on the second attempt, at first I thought its my laptop, now I know there was an issue.
Cheers,
Ami

I got a report back from the host:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Sincere apologies for this. We found your server in an unresponsive state this morning due to an underlying issue with the servers hypervisor. We tried a number of recovery options to try and bring the VM back online but after our best efforts we were unable to do this.

In order to get the sites back online as quickly as possible, we spun up a new VM on our hosting platform and restored the sites to this. After we saw that these were loading correctly we assumed that the sites were fine.

Sorry for not getting in contact about this, I've invited you to manage the new server so you should see this now when you log into your server.

So, it seems they tried to fix a hardware issue. The reason the site didn't function correctly when the new server came up is that our forum software requires a specific module that isn't installed by default on our host's regular VM images. This has now been installed.

Please check for any new errors that you see.

Apologies once again. I'll setup some mobile phone notifications to the admin team in case this happens again.

Thanks

Ben

I understand some people have had issues with Push Notifications since the outage. Please try clearing your browser cache and enabling notifications. Many browsers disable notifications by default. I have just tested the feature, and it appears to work on Chrome still.

Hi Ben, when the site first had issues I cleared my cache and cookies etc and did a couple more times yesterday. Push notification was and is still enabled for the site in my browser ( Firefox).

Strangely the day before the site went down I was receiving double notifications. Both when I logged into the site and also when just going on line.

Today back to single push notifications when I am logged on the site, also when still logged in but browsing the net.

Do not know if this clarifies, confuses or compounds.....

Back