Jdd conversion walk through. Part 1

kraig22

Good day all I wanted to help out the forum , so I've done a write up for the Jdd conversion on the 1.4 tdi

Let's begin the mods to the Jdd box
First you will need to remove two clunks of material one on the side gear mount
IMG_2891.JPGIMG_2914.JPG
The next chunk is the lower dog bone mount .
IMG_2935.JPGIMG_2941.JPGIMG_2943.JPG
Next you will need two spacers .
I used the old engine mount like this they are 6 mm thick and 7 mm thick . 10mm holes.
IMG_2887.JPGIMG_2896.JPG
Next I would renew part 02a 141 180a remove 3 m8 splines.
Being careful not to damage the seal on the splines I used a small offcut plastic rolled into a tube placed over the gearbox splines .

Attachments

• IMG_2896.JPG
    IMG_2896.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 183
Next you need to empty the oil from the Jdd box using 17mm drain key.

Then you will need the remove the drive shaft receiver with 6 mm hex key on the flywheel side.
IMG_2928.JPG

Place the 6mm bolt back in the diff, and seal up with a bag .
IMG_2933.JPG

Next we move to the car.
First while on the ground unbolt and free off the 36 mm driveshaft hub bolt
IMG_3043.JPG
next get the car up in the air and Remove undertray .
Next step is to remove the inner drive shaft bolts they are multi spline from 10mm. I use a spanner on these and hold the wheel in place as I work Around them.
IMG_3045.JPG

Like this IMG_3047.JPG
After they are all off. Push the inner end of the driveshaft up and feed the hub end out of the hub and forward and put to one side,
Next remove the dogbone mount 3 16mm on the gearbox and one 16mm in the crossmember.
IMG_3065.JPG
IMG_3066.JPG

Once dogbone is out you need to remove the inner drive shaft on the drivers side
Cv10mm multispline.
IMG_3068.JPG
Next remove the cv joint guard two 16 mm bolts
IMG_3075.JPG

Next remove the drivers side driveshaft receivers 6mm hex bolt
IMG_3088.JPG

Next drain the oil 17mm sump plug .
IMG_3082.JPG

next I support the engine and gearbox like this it's how I do It I know it's not the best way .
IMG_3126.JPG
Next I removed the starter motor bolts 13mm then 18mm .
IMG_3109.JPG
next I removed boden cables and the 13mm bolts from the gear linkage cables
IMG_3092.JPG

Also two plugs one that goes to the reverse light switch . The other not sure but you will see it. Remove the starter and pull out of the way.
IMG_3111.JPG

Go around undoing the engine to gear box bolts but leave two in . 18mm and 16mm .
IMG_3167.JPG
next I remove the engine mount bolts 16mm
IMG_3127.JPG

Once they are removed lower the engine until you can see the multispline 12mm . From the passenger wheel
IMG_3161.JPG

Now remove the mount .
This will give you more room to remove the 2 13mm bolts that hold the clutch cylinder once the bolts are removed you can pull it up and out of the way.
IMG_3099.JPG

using a second jack lower the engine and gear box slowly and then loses two bolts you left in and th gearbox will fall away. It's heavy so carefully.
IMG_3145.JPG

Drag ewq box out and swap over the selector tower. Two bolt and keep them both in neutral. Tap with hammer if not wanting to come away.
IMG_3147.JPG

swap clutch release bearing and Carrier over and the speed sensor . Forgot to picture the size may be 26 mm .
Now your ready to refit, and learn plenty of new words.
If you lift the box back into position aim to push the diff up as that is the heavy end .
Once you mount the box get a couple of bolts in . And these are the only differences to the reverse plan . The bolts
IMG_3151.JPG
IMG_3176.JPG
this is the dogbone and where the other spacer goes.
The rest is just the reverse. I lock tite it and and check every bolt after 100miles.
Never had an issue just nice to check. Also you may find the boden cable may rub on the mount slightly. I had already altered my mount by filing a small amount here .
IMG_3128.JPG
I hope this all helps . Any questions let me know.

Nice write up I have mine to do at some stage!
Have read a few write ups but yours is the first where the selector has been swapped over was the JDD not suitable?

When the material is removed from the box what part is fouling to make this necessary? Did you remove the least possible?

Just one spacer and a nut needed to secure the box to it's cradle bracket that's good to know!

Was the bottom of the box ground to allow for dog mount bracket to fit flush?

Keep up the great work!

Howey

Nice write up I have mine to do at some stage!
Have read a few write ups but yours is the first where the selector has been swapped over was the JDD not suitable?

When the material is removed from the box what part is fouling to make this necessary? Did you remove the least possible?

Just one spacer and a nut needed to secure the box to it's cradle bracket that's good to know!

Was the bottom of the box ground to allow for dog mount bracket to fit flush?

Keep up the great work!

Howey
Good morning . First the selector tower on the Jdd box requires the throw weight requires trimming on the front edge as it's much longer. So best to use the whole ewq tower.
With the extra material being removed the selection of third gear would just catch the edge of the boden cable on the side of the engine mount.
IMG_3128.JPG

Yes I removed the least I would say. And the bottom of the box is removed to allow the curve of the dog bone to fit.
IMG_3172.JPG
The first Jdd I did was a pain. As it was back and forth to the car and back to the table to trim. Much better this way all cut and ready to go.
Side mount here is before and after to show what gets in the way .
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_3161.JPG
the last one shows the area once fitted and why it needs removing ,
Hope that answers it all.

Morning Kraig,

Thank you so much for taking the time to document everything involved and for sharing this information. Extremely helpful and generous of you, I’m sure this thread will help members for years to come.

Top work Sir. I’ve made this thread a sticky so it’s easier to find by others.

Kind regards,

Tom

Morning Kraig,

Thank you so much for taking the time to document everything involved and for sharing this information. Extremely helpful and generous of you, I’m sure this thread will help members for years to come.

Top work Sir. I’ve made this thread a sticky so it’s easier to find by others.

Kind regards,

Tom
No problem Tom . Took me more time t get on with than it should. Thanks @Proghound for the Jdd box it's sweet by the way.

There is no need to swap the tower just the weight that bolts on to the shaft ie reuse the A2 weight
I had no need to modify anything to prevent cable catching

JDD is a great box btw

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very comprehensive, thanks for taking the time to put it together. What do you have planned for part 2?

Thanks for the write up really good how to. as @depronman says the tower weight can be swapped across from A2 to JDD box, also worth pointing out for anyone thinking of doing this that the tower selector from the original box may well be pretty worn out. I've had a few A2 TDI gearboxes with tower issues now, usually the bearings, so the tower wobbles side to side if you hold the weight and wiggle, but also the springs rust out inside - mainly happens when the water catcher above box isn't in place and the box gets covered / filled with water. Personally I'd go with the JDD tower if its good. cheers

This is very comprehensive, thanks for taking the time to put it together. What do you have planned for part 2?
Well the part one was due to the forum only letting me post eight images at a time. So I made a work around by adding the rest as replies.

I have the Jdd tower from my first Jdd box in the shed as a just in case . But my ewq tower is low mileage so much less of a task in my case to swap them over complete. But is worth pointing out. I did do the entire putting it back together but didn't want to take up unnecessary space on the site.

Back