JDD Gearbox conversion - gearchange fouling

TFG

A2OC Donor
The balance weight on top of the gearchange tower of the JDD 'box is different to the one on the standard EWQ (TDi AMF engine). What I've found in today's bit of progress is that this balance weight gets VERY close to the two wires that bolt to the starter motor solenoid. If I fit the clip-on plastic cover for the solenoid terminals, the tower arm can't move fully down towards the 'box to get the 'bottom' two ratios. The photo is looking down on the balance weight and two solenoid cables.

What's the best fix for this? I think it may be possible to fit the tower arm from the EWQ, but I'm not sure if that's a good move. Hopefully someone who's been here before me can tell me what they've done to sort this out.

When I read the threads on here about the JDD conversion, I got the impression that it was literally plug 'n' play. Perhaps I'm being fussy, but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've done so far. The EWQ and JDD boxes are certainly very similar, but there are quite a few detail differences that take a while to sort out. I've taken detailed photos as I've progressed, so will post a thread on it once I'm done.

IMG_8191.JPG

I have jdd gearbox, sorry to hear your having a couple of issues.
I transferred gear select tower + arm from ewq over to jdd. Whilst removing tower from jdd you’ll have to cut a triangle out in order for ewq tower to fit, this will be clear which part on gearbox you’ll need to grind out as tower will not fit until you do so. roughly size of a Toblerone triangle (chocolate).

If I can help any further just ask

Ross

Thanks @rosscanning . At least I now know it's not simply plug 'n' play! Thinking about it this morning while I was putting the subframe and consoles back in place (what a bizarre installation sequence that is), I may just remove the top from the JDD selector tower and saw the offending lump of balance weight off. I don't want to go back to the EWQ tower/selector mech if I can avoid it as there have been threads on here about upgrading it to the part that's already in my JDD box. That was one of the reasons that swayed me to a JDD.

Even if I saw the offending part of the weight off, I reckon it will still weigh more than the one on the EWQ, and at greater radius too. To get the weight off, is it simply a case of removing the small bolt on the top/pivot centre of the tower? Does anything else come adrift when I do that?

There's already been a fair bit of slicing of the JDD 'box casings to get the dogbone and top gearbox mounts to fit!

I would recommend using EWQ selector mech as you know it works well.
As for weight yes I believe so and a whole lot of tugging to release, not sure if any thing else came adrift, sorry it was some years ago.
For the dog bone mount I added some washers around the bolts to stop it knocking off subframe and a little filing to make it fit like a glove.
Ross

I’m a numpty but is there any scope to move the solenoid wires?

If you cut a bit off the balance weight can’t you just add a bit back on to a less catching location? Perhaps those stick on wheel weights and a bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem solved, at least wrt the clash between the solenoid cover and balance weight. Once it's back together, I'll see if the reduction in the size of the balance weight has a detrimental effect on the gear change. If it does, as you say @Pinkythelabrat I can just drill and tap those Audi rings and screw an extra weight on the top :). The weight is only there to smooth out/slow down gear changes so that you're less likely to catch out the synchromesh.

IMG_8198.JPG
IMG_8199.JPG

With me parking my blue A2 in garage for a while, I quickly realised whilst driving my red one how much I miss my JDD gearbox and those longer gear ratios... I didn’t think it would bother me as current gearbox in red is original EWQ but with extended 5th gear cog, But I was wrong I find changing gears tiring. New plan when I change clutch I’ll swap gearbox’s

So what is involved in swapping these gearboxes out? Is it plug and play apart from this weight, or would I have to do other things too?

I used standard dog bone lower mount but with bracket which is specific to gearbox JDD.
If I remember rightly (been 5 years since conversion) only need to use 2 bolts for gear box (bracket to gearbox) and of course one bolt to bolt to subframe.

Do you have gearbox mount bracket for JDD Kaz?

No - I only have the a2 bracket - so what do I need to modify?
Standard A2 bracket should be fine, it’ll make sense when you try told bolt up that only 2 are needed, I would recommend using washers to fill gap again you will see when you try to bolt up

No that’s a weight. member TFG above filed his down because he used JDD selector weight were as me and others used original one which there is no need to.
Sorry this must be confusing you file this file that...

No filing required

Use original gear selector tower with weight - cut out triangle using grinder
Use original lower dog bone mount - use washers with bolts

Back