Key Fob Rematching / Reprogramming

lloydg

Hi,

I've recently had the misfortune of losing our only key to our '02 1.4TDi. We called out a local company who cut 2 new keys which allowed us to successful open and start the car, but they couldn't get the remote central locking to work.

This company are a reputable outfit and they tried various ways to reprogram the new keys, but have put the blame down to a faulty CCCU (our car has the notorious "Q" version).

I have a replacement CCCU on hand, but the key replacement company now want close to £300 just to reprogram the new keys when the new CCCU is fitted. I understood this should just be a 15 minute job as I already have the keys with the correct frequency, so it seems a bit steep to me.

Before I shell out I just wanted to ask the forum if they think this is the correct course of action, or if there are any other steps I should consider first? What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd,

If the only problem is your remote central locking, then £300 is a bit steep. I'd suspect the problem is the key fob itself, rather than the CCCU, and to code a replacement is not a difficult task.
If you can find the part number on the new key fob, please post it as that might help solve this issue.

The replacement CCCU you have, is this also a Q version?

If you need help there are a few of us who can sort this issue out for you.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply.

The replacement CCCU is also a Q version. The new keys seem to be devoid of part numbers. They look like generic aftermarket keys. The original key that went missing had the part number 8Z0 837 231 433.92mhz.

Thanks,

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

Yes, that makes sense. As expected, the new fob is probably not being recognised by the CCCU.

It might be that all you'll need is a correct replacement fob, and then carefully transfer the transponder and blade from the non-functioning fob to the correct fob.
However, that is assuming the transponder is of the correct size and will fit in to the proper fob.

I presume you can fully lock/unlock your car with the key blade in the drivers door lock?
And also, I’m presuming with the original key fob (now lost) your car locked/unlocked fine on the remote?

If this is the case, and your car is secure, why not try and make ADI social in 2 weeks time.
There will be several of us there who would be happy to resolve your issues (and unless parts are needed this is likely to be FOC).
All are welcome, there is no snobbery in this club.

If you can’t make the social, let us know and we’ll try and work out who the closest member is who can resolve your problem.

All the best
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Really appreciate your speedy response.

You're right in your presumptions; the original key worked as it should (remotely unlocked and locked all doors), and the new key blade allows me to lock and unlock the car as well as start the engine.

The car works and is secure, so there's on major rush. Unfortunately I can't make ADI as I'll be out of the country that weekend. I'm in North West London, would you be able to recommend a local(ish) place to book the car in at?

Also, do you think its worth picking up a fob with the same frequency from eBay as a precaution to the new keys not being right?

The one thing the key replacement company did say regarding the CCCU was that there were error codes for the CCCU (not sure of their numbers), that they cleared, but the new key was not being recognised by the CCCU at all. They said they would expect a message along the lines of 'remote not recognised' or something to that effect, even if the key wasn't the right one, whereas there was no messages at all when trying to reprogram the remotes.

Thanks again.

Lloyd

Hi Jeff,

Really appreciate your speedy response.

You're right in your presumptions; the original key worked as it should (remotely unlocked and locked all doors), and the new key blade allows me to lock and unlock the car as well as start the engine.

The car works and is secure, so there's on major rush. Unfortunately I can't make ADI as I'll be out of the country that weekend. I'm in North West London, would you be able to recommend a local(ish) place to book the car in at?

Also, do you think its worth picking up a fob with the same frequency from eBay as a precaution to the new keys not being right?

The one thing the key replacement company did say regarding the CCCU was that there were error codes for the CCCU (not sure of their numbers), that they cleared, but the new key was not being recognised by the CCCU at all. They said they would expect a message along the lines of 'remote not recognised' or something to that effect, even if the key wasn't the right one, whereas there was no messages at all when trying to reprogram the remotes.

Thanks again.

Lloyd

Hi,

I live near Heathrow airport and can have a look to see what the problem is, although I suspect that they have sold you the keys for a different model of CCCU.
There are two different frequencies used on the A2 CCCUs, the early ones used the Q version that you have. Later CCCUs such as the ones ending in AF for example, use a different frequency and so wont match to your keys.

But before you spend any money, if you can pop over to me one night or at the weekend I can try and pair them for you.

One of our members had taken two of their A2s to a dealer (twice) and also to an independent and after hours of trying, they failed to match the keys (and they were the correct frequency) and I was able to resolve this for them.

So we may be lucky and get this sorted without any replacement keys being needed, no harm in trying?

Steve B

Hi Lloyd,

As your original fob worked fine then I'd not expect there to be an issue with the CCCU.
The reason the CCCU isn't seeing the new fob is it's either not compatible or the wrong method was use to try and pair the new fob.
Most CCCU's will have error codes logged, and if nothing is being seen on the CCCU via VCDS when the buttons are pressed, then the fob is going to be the issue, not the CCCU.

It is worth obtaining a correct fob, but take care on ebay because you can end up buying another non working item.

Shame you can't make the ADI social at Castel Combe as this would have been an ideal opportunity to resolve FOC.
Having someone resolve the issue in their own time might add a cost, but it that would be a nominal cost I'd imagine.

You could try a PM to member Sarge, who is in East London or Birchall who is in Staines.

You've also got A2 Cars in Milton Keynes.

Then I'm a bit further north in Northants.

Check with the person who you're thinking of using if they have a spare fob before buying one, as that might save you time, money and further headache.
I don’t have a spare suitable.

Let us know how you get on, and ask if you need anything further.

Edit - Steve has already replied....

Cheers
Jeff

Last edited:
Hi,

I live near Heathrow airport and can have a look to see what the problem is, although I suspect that they have sold you the keys for a different model of CCCU.
There are two different frequencies used on the A2 CCCUs, the early ones used the Q version that you have. Later CCCUs such as the ones ending in AF for example, use a different frequency and so wont match to your keys.

But before you spend any money, if you can pop over to me one night or at the weekend I can try and pair them for you.

One of our members had taken two of their A2s to a dealer (twice) and also to an independent and after hours of trying, they failed to match the keys (and they were the correct frequency) and I was able to resolve this for them.

So we may be lucky and get this sorted without any replacement keys being needed, no harm in trying?

Steve B

Steve,

I'd love to take you up on your offer. Will DM you to see when would be a good time for you if you don't mind?

Just want to say to you, Jeff and all on the forum, how much the offers and help are appreciated. I've never been one to post very often as mainly I've always found the how-to's and the general sharing of information so helpful for resolving my own issues. But I'm bowled over by how quick to help everyone has been. Its really is a great means to keeping these little cars going strong and credit is due to all of you.

Thanks,

Lloyd

Hello again Lloyd,

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the club. A major reason we are successful, and indeed have continual forum growth is because A2 owners such as yourself take the time to inform of your issues, which allows conversation, and at time debate, to occur.

Without the input from its members, the club wouldn’t be what it is today

So – thank you Lloyd.

Jeff

So, an update on the key situation...

Steve B kindly gave an hour of his time the other week to scan the car and take a look at the keys. He confirmed that the keys weren't being read by the car and a couple of faults were showing on the CCCU. We swapped the CCCU to a spare Q version I had, but still found the same problem, when he tried to pair the keys the car wasn't picking up any signal. In an attempt to prove the keys could be at fault we also tried pairing my keys with Steve's car, and still no signal from the keys. By process of elimination we assumed it must be an issue with the new keys that the key replacement company had supplied me.

The next day I called the Key replacement company, told them we'd swapped the CCCU and still couldn't match the keys, and they kindly sent a technician to check the keys and attempt to re-pair them with the car.

After an hour of trying they still couldn't get them to pair. This time suggesting that the "antenna" in the car must be broken. Has anyone ever come across this before, or even know where on the car this is located? The technician suggested it was in one of the plugs related to the CCCU?

The original key that was lost worked perfectly, so it seems strange to me to blame an antenna that surely must have been working before?

Anybody got any ideas? Really am stuck as to what to try next. Thought about buying a correct frequency key from eBay but the key technician has told me that he tried keys of various frequencies and still couldn't get results.

Many thanks,

Lloyd

Also would like to publicly thank Steve B for his time. Was very much appreciated and I enjoyed the opportunity to take in some of his extensive knowledge and have a close look at his lovely A2. Thanks again Steve!

the A2 doesn't pair in the same way that other Audi cars do, the instructions for pairing that are shown on the Ross tech site do not apply to the A2. On those instructions it tells you to put in the number of keys. That is wrong, you put in the key position (out of the 4 positions available) so the company you are using MIGHT be doing it wrong.

I can't see it bring an antenna problem.

If you can get hold of a working standard key for a "Q" CCCU we can try that and I am pretty sure it will work.

Has anyone got a key fob from a "Q" that they know is working?if you buy one from eBay it might be a broken one.

So if we can get a key fob for a "Q" I can try and pair that one.
If that doesn't work then you have an strange problem because we have changed everything else

Steve B

Further developments in the ongoing Key Fob saga!

Due to the kindness of an unknown individual and TfL's lost property service our original lost key has been returned to us!

However, despite it definitely being our original key (works in the locks and ignition), the original CCCU has been wiped in an attempt to pair the replacement keys meaning the old key no longer pairs either. Also, as I understand it the immobiliser has now been programmed to accept the replacement keys, meaning the immobiliser in the old key no longer works.

Can anyone advise what would be the best next step to get this resolved once and for all? Should I be trying to combine the immobiliser part with the correct remote part?

I take it despite having the old key again I'll still need it recoding to the CCCU as its old data has probably been wiped?

Thanks,

Lloyd

Hello again Lloyd,

Seems like you're having lots of fun (not) getting things working again.

Good news you've got your original key and fob back though.
I presume you can start the car with the original key now, but it cuts out after 1 second?

It should be simple now to re-pair the immobiliser and fob (two separate re-paring functions) to your original key.

If you’re free on Saturday 14th Nov, perhaps a trip up to Birmingham for the Curry Social might prove fruitful, as again, a few of us will be there who could resolve your issue (see social section for details).

I’m sure it will get sorted soon.

Cheers
Jeff

Failing that you have Sarge in London and me in Staines. We both have the equipment to resolve this issue for you. But it would be great to see you at the meal on the 14th.

Steve B

Back