Kicking up a storm in plastidip

craigyb

A2OC Donor
So today I had a go with plastidip and I'm not the best at this sort of thing, but I just wanted to do a proof of concept, what would my silver A2 look like in storm livery.

So lots of masking and 4 tins of black plastidip and 2 tins of glossifier later, here are the results, what do you guys think as I like it and might just get it painted in these new colours .

Attachments

• 20130819_165912.jpg
    20130819_165912.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 897
  • 20130819_165923.jpg
    20130819_165923.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 736
  • 20130819_181912.jpg
    20130819_181912.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 721
  • 20130819_181945.jpg
    20130819_181945.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 945
  • 20130819_182149.jpg
    20130819_182149.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 767
  • 20130819_183134.jpg
    20130819_183134.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 946
Last edited:
Really really nice
10/10 for effort. I really respect anyone who tries a new thing, or better still a twist on an original theme.

Our A2's aren't as popular as a MkIV Golf or even a TT, but I do love the adventurous nature of some owners

J

Last edited:
I'll add my thumbs up. Would you do the roof too?

Not only a very nicely spec'd and modified A2, but now it looks like the rarest of beasts in the UK, a colour.storm in silver.

Good idea Craig.

I like it...I even tried Plasti-dip today funnily enough.....but this was on my Insignia (de-chromeing)

I am still considering de-storming our A2....but looking at your top job I may just leave it :)

Nice work chap

I'm in two minds about the roof, I think I actually prefer it silver.

Last edited:
Hi Craig,

That looks like a cracking job.

I'd like to see a front view showing the side as well (picture 4 but zoomed out a little).

That's turning out to be a peach of an A2.

Cheers

Jeff

It took about 7 hours with the masking an spraying.

Only did 3 coats as it was a proof of concept and I ran out of paint. Then a couple of coats of glossifier.

I'm going to my local paint shop tomorrow and show them what I want them to do and the colour, a satin black.

Fair play, a lot of effort, and nicely executed. Not for me, think it ages the car. But if you're happy, that's all that matters:)

This makes me a bit jealous of silver A2 now! Nice colour storm retro fit! Shame it doesn't make sense to do it on my colbalt blue A2.

I like it...I even tried Plasti-dip today funnily enough.....but this was on my Insignia (de-chromeing)

I am still considering de-storming our A2....but looking at your top job I may just leave it :)

Nice work chap
I'd like to see a de-stormed storm, your yellow example would look great.

Nice work Craig!

I am still mulling over it.....it is either de-storm or Black out the yellow Votex kit.....but kinda like the lower looking stance with the yellow kit...so maybe de-storm if I can get the colour made.

Here is my effort on the Insignia (apologies for having a VX pic on the forums)

Yes, the roof in black is part of the standard "Storm" package ... I think that it also ties the glass areas in and gives an almost "pan-roof" effect?

David

Those Insignia's need a bigger badge...

Nice work on your car Craig, although to complete the effect it needs to have the roof done too!

Hehe it is rather large.....hoping when it is up for renewal our company car policy has better choices on the menu :)

You should try and plasti-dipping the badge .

I am still mulling over it.....it is either de-storm or Black out the yellow Votex kit.....but kinda like the lower looking stance with the yellow kit...so maybe de-storm if I can get the colour made.

Here is my effort on the Insignia (apologies for having a VX pic on the forums)

Did think about it but then it may have looked like I had gone Plasti dip mad...plus I think I would rather buy an Irmsher grill with no badge :)

Craig, thats an awesome job mate, hows the plastidip holding up? im looking to achieve a similar effect on my island green a2 and wondered if its worth a days worth of spraying and masking?!

drew

Back