Knocking from front suspension

A2on18's

On the A2 I have recently purchased I have a knocking from the nearside front suspension, noticeable over small pot holes and very loud over bigger ones.

I've never really done much in the way of mechanics but happy to learn and try things, are there any pointers where I should be looking to help diagnose?

Get the car checked over by a garage, who will get it up and suggest a way forward.

Suspension problems are common in older A2s, but are easy enough to sort out.

This thread covers the basics in some detail:

My knocking was solved by changing the droplinks (Meyle HD are the way to go) and arb bushes; its pretty simple and plenty about it on the forum.
Definitely worth getting it checked over if you're not confident though; could be something else i.e. top mounts.

Definitely agree with the above post.

The first thing I would do when buying an A2 is order and fit some Miele HD (Heavy duty) drop links and I'm an originality freak (unless something is proven to be better) and they are definitely better than the originals!

Best £30 you will spend (for the pair off ebay) and will definitely improve the ride.

Check tyre pressures and have tyres dynamically balanced if you want to be thorough too ?

Drop links and anti roll bar bushes and the two far most common but there is a chance it could be a damaged shock absorber or a broken spring. Regardless has a good mechanic check it out and buy what has already been recommended for the drop links. While the mechanic is there have him thoroughly check both lower wishbones as they are probably original and if pressed steel - almost certain yours are pressed steel - I'd bet that they are corroded but not hopefully just crumbling away. If rusting ( from the inside ) suggest you get them replaced soon than later.

Yes but if the original pressed wishbones are structurally sound you can save any expense by simply giving them a rub down and a coat of rust resistant paint, hammerite is particularly good and if you are having a mechanic look at it which might not be required if the car has recently been mot'd, as everything will have been thoroughly inspected and any areas of wear noted as advisories (which you can check for free on many sites) and the drop links are an easy two bolt per side diy replacement, then get him to check the top mounts too as this is the other place where your clonk could be coming from.

I would definitely just replace the drop links first anyway after checking the mot history?

Though most will disagree, I wouldn't ever expect a comfortable ride over potholes in these cars...just got some 15" wheels to try and make it more comfortable but i'm not holding my breath

Though most will disagree, I wouldn't ever expect a comfortable ride over potholes in these cars...just got some 15" wheels to try and make it more comfortable but i'm not holding my breath
I'm not unhappy with the ride, I drive an RS4 on 20's most of the time so this isn't that harsh! It's the knocking I'm trying to get rid of...

Have purchased the drop links as for £30 seems sensible anyway :)

Well mine is on 15” pepperpots and refreshed suspension with Monroe Reflex dampers and standard springs - the ride is pretty good I think!

Reactions: A2Z
Yes but if the original pressed wishbones are structurally sound you can save any expense by simply giving them a rub down and a coat of rust resistant paint, hammerite is particularly good and if you are having a mechanic look at it which might not be required if the car has recently been mot'd, as everything will have been thoroughly inspected and any areas of wear noted as advisories (which you can check for free on many sites) and the drop links are an easy two bolt per side diy replacement, then get him to check the top mounts too as this is the other place where your clonk could be coming from.

I would definitely just replace the drop links first anyway after checking the mot history?
You would hope that to be true. Personally I know of 2 A2s that flew through their MOT test and both had very bad corrosion in the lower wishbones. From experience if the car is garaged or not used much on salted roads then about 17 years looks to be life limit. Those used in winter salt conditions or on the coast then 14 years looks about the maximum. Now this is from what I have seen so they can corrode faster or slower than those figures and I am certainly not saying that is how long yours will last only that it is very important to have them thoroughly checked. One of the failed ones I saw only had light surface rust next to one of the seams - until you looked inside and it was paper thin with only the outer paint holding it together.
My car managed 18 years before I decided to replace them with more pressed steel ones as I prefer the option to replace a worn ball joint rather than a cast wishbone / ball joint one piece assembly.

Kyb springs and a mix of trw and Sachs dampers (not my finest hour but come on I am from Yorkshire! ) and mine rides much better than with the old tired set up!
Found the trw strut harder to get in the knuckle than the Sachs and that's with the parts off the car

Back