Kujiwara's Colour Storm FSI

kujiwara

Hi everyone,

I'm Jerry and this is my 2004 1.6 FSI Misano Red Colourstorm! I just moved from Canada to UK for school in October and bought it as soon as I got out of quarantine. The car wasn't exactly clean when I bought it but had good potential, the body was straight and interior is all in one piece, water pump and timing belt done recently by PO.

After I got it, it immediately received a full detail inside out and made it look very new. Then I put new factory sized Avon ZV7 tires on the dealer optioned 17" wheels, handles excellent and rides well. New brakes with EBC Greenstuff, much better initial bite and should come in handy when I track it next year. Did a thorough check along with a full service and new Varta Battery. Replaced the clutch with a LUK kit since the throwout bearing was quite loud and car shook when taking off, the new clutch solved all those issues. And recently just acquired a full Whiteline sway bar kit, still waiting to install the rear bar and need to adjust the front one better to sort out the noises a bit, but the handling is already a night and day difference and ride is firmer but not uncomfortable.

To make it a little newer to keep up with the times, it just needed a cassette to aux adapter and phone holder. A 3 spoke steering wheel with red stitching also makes it look more modern and sportier. All in all, I love this car for what it is, a premium, safe, comfy and now sporty little car with low taxes, insurance and fuel cost.

My instagram is Kujiwara if you're interested in seeing random daily life of a soon-to-be Motorsport engineer with an A2:p. I look forward to meeting fellow A2 enthusiasts one day!

Here are photos of when I first bought it in October:
IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg
IMG_1446.jpg

Took a set of beauty photos in London right afterwards, this was still on 205/45R17 tires and no detailing.

2570AE09-BB43-4DEB-B9B6-D28D1A47517B.JPG
9A605C51-7785-4EB6-B5CA-005D6A430FF8.JPG

dsc_0088-min-min.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage-20.jpg

Then installed new tires and received a full detail, I much prefer the look of the 205/40 tires and it seems to do just fine on B-roads near MK.

IMG_1999.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Squire. Great write up, introduction and a lovely car. Glad you found us. Plenty of useful info on here, friendly and informative advice and an active social scene, limited by COVID this year of course. All the best.

Love the photos! The London ones remind me a bit of Gran Turismo's photo mode or manufacturer promo shots. ? (the lack of people really sells them!)
Meanwhile the "today" shots are also brilliant, makes "our" little car look like the speedy hot hatch it never quite got to be from the factory (though I am curious myself how it'll hold up around a track).

Looking forward to read about further mods and maybe see some track pics whenever that happens!

Hi. Some really nice atmospheric photos there. Your profession should be just right for maintaining an FSi

The shot of the London Eye in the background remind me of this Audi advert:

Some brilliant photos, and the shop name in soho almost has the name spelt correctly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there, welcome !! Great pics & car looks really nice !! I've just got my 1st A2 ; also an FSI in less sporty Mauritius Blue ; keeps me under the radar !!

Who are you working for in Motorsport now ??

My son works for Gibson Tech - LMP2 (& other series) engine supplier - always good to have contact with others in the industry.

Hi there, welcome !! Great pics & car looks really nice !! I've just got my 1st A2 ; also an FSI in less sporty Mauritius Blue ; keeps me under the radar !!

Who are you working for in Motorsport now ??

My son works for Gibson Tech - LMP2 (& other series) engine supplier - always good to have contact with others in the industry.

I've yet started to work yet, currently studying a MSc in Advanced Motorsport Engineering. Definitely good to know people in it!

Installed new Bosch OEM FGR6HQE0 spark plugs and a few new coil packs last week as preventative maintenance since there were a few random intermittent misfire codes although I've never felt it misfire while driving except for a few times during cold start. I can't say I can tell a difference after changing which only took 20min or so, the NGK plugs (looked like pretty clean burn too) that came out are also 4 prong but has slightly different electrode height, so far no more cold start misfires. It has maybe very little improvement in very low RPM torque cuz I usually start with minimal throttle, otherwise smooth as usual, and still has the VTEC kick at 2800RPM. Did a thorough health check on VCDS including throttle alignment, long term fuel trim reset and intake flap operation check to suit all of the new engine parts and 99 shell fuel I put in since purchasing.
IMG_3612.jpg

IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3615.jpg

I also found a set of new OEM RHD TT pedals. Feels like I'm making a S line car haha. Just waiting for the shops to reopen so can replace the front Whiteline ARB with a H&R bar due to some fitment issues and install the rear Whiteline bar.
IMG_3401.jpg

Also took some pics in the snow, looks like something Santa Claus would drive

img_5850.jpg
img_5852.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage-15.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
Installed new Bosch OEM FGR6HQE0 spark plugs and a few new coil packs last week as preventative maintenance since there were a few random intermittent misfire codes although I've never felt it misfire while driving except for a few times during cold start. I can't say I can tell a difference after changing which only took 20min or so, the NGK plugs (looked like pretty clean burn too) that came out are also 4 prong but has slightly different electrode height, so far no more cold start misfires. It has maybe very little improvement in very low RPM torque cuz I usually start with minimal throttle, otherwise smooth as usual, and still has the VTEC kick at 2800RPM. Did a thorough health check on VCDS including throttle alignment, long term fuel trim reset and intake flap operation check to suit all of the new engine parts and 99 shell fuel I put in since purchasing.
View attachment 75725
View attachment 75726
View attachment 75727
I also found a set of new OEM RHD TT pedals. Feels like I'm making a S line car haha. Just waiting for the shops to reopen so can replace the front Whiteline ARB with a H&R bar due to some fitment issues and install the rear Whiteline bar.
View attachment 75723

Also took some pics in the snow, looks like something Santa Claus would drive

View attachment 75731View attachment 75732View attachment 75733
Looking good. You could do with an A2 footrest to finish off the TT pedals though! ?

Haven't updated the thread in a while. The car has been very reliable. I've also put it another front ARB from H&R, the Whiteline one didn't work well with the A2, hits the frame legs. The rear Whiteline bar is also fitted, but just barely, I currently set it to medium stiffness and has a very balanced and near neutral handling.

Other than that just drove it around to places to enjoy UK's views. Really starting to not want to sell the car when I finish school this year and move back to Canada. I may bring the car back there with me and will likely need to do a 1.8T 20V swap then, since 1.6FSI is not available there and powertrain parts may be too expensive to ship over. Think of this swap as a way of making this car much more serviceable in a market which it was never sold in. As a motorsport engineer and having done various engine swaps myself, it won't be a hard task. But does anyone have any website links or pics regarding this swap saved?

I have been trying to search, but mostly just found comments of people turning down the idea. Biggest questions are what gearboxes have been used, are there existing engine mounts that can be used, and is there an OEM driveshaft that can be used? Wiring and custom stuff is not an issue, but just thought would be quicker to use OEM if there are off the shelf solutions, and helps with getting things right the first time. I have a MK4 1.8T 02M 6 speed laying around back home and 225hp 1.8T engines are easy to find. Also have MK4 1.8T spindles and brakes sitting, and I'll get some KW coilovers if it handles too funny.

And seems like my AC flap motor need to be replaced, shop said pump and charge is all ok. Is it worth buying a used unit or should I just buy new?
Also will likely be taking it to Brands Hatch indy for an evening session in June or July!

70799A87-D361-473B-A0AB-0E5E79794FFF_1_201_a.jpeg

C9C609EF-8F89-4DD5-8240-9AC7EEBD4851_1_201_a.jpeg

50A218AC-60EC-42D2-85F4-1D7143085F35_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Update: Had to replace the head gasket and a coolant hose, resulting in quite a bill (1200) which doesn't add to the value of the car. With the car and maintenance and mods, I'm in right around 5k total. Since it cost roughly 2500GBP to bring it back to Canada I am strongly considering this option now, would like some suggestions from A2 and FSI gurus on what to consider replacing preventatively, especially things that may leave the car stranded for the next 40000 miles in 2-3 years.

Currently sit at 10xxxx miles, everything functions as it should without hiccup.
Brakes, clutch, all mounts, tires, ARBs, spark plugs and coils, head gasket are new
Suspension bushing and shocks and springs are in excellent condition
Timing belt replaced in late 2018

I will replace all vacuum lines and easily replaceable coolant hoses as preventative measure.

If front brakes or bearings go I will replace with MK4 GTI upright and brake assembly.
Are the rear callipers same as 232mm MK4 brake calipers?

I can only carry few parts this trip, my list so far for things to bring back:
Timing belt and water pump kit (to replace next summer)
Rear wheel bearings
Spare clutch throwout bearing
Valve cover, oil pan, intake manifold gaskets
ProBoost full replacement ECU with immo delete (if still available)

The rarity (likely only one on the road back home) and fuel consumption is what also makes me want to bring it home.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Back