Latest Retrofit Aero Wipers - any good?

venusinfurs

Hya, i know this discussion has been done to death on here and there are (rather expensive) genuine aero upgrade parts available but i'm just wondering if anyone has tried going down the route of retro fitting wiper blades and if it is a good upgrade over the old standard wipers - my car is an 02 model.

Recently there have been made available a couple of options that were not before, the Heyner Flat Wiper Blade (ebay), and the Bosch AR70N Heavy Duty Flat Wiper Blade (google search - various).

Anyone tried either of these? It is difficult to find reviews but one said the blade was slightly smaller which is no big deal.

I've not really had much of an issue with the old standard wiper blade apart from one thing which i think could be solved by a Flat blade. The screen wash jets spray gets blocked by the huge aero attachment to the old blade, is this improved with the use of Aero/Flat blade (genuine or third party?) It drives me insane that half of the screen wash never ends up on the windscreen.

Would also be interested if anybody has tried the AR70's - I've currently got a BoschAM28U on and only two months in it's starting to not clear the screen and streaking, as well as being a bit ugly. So far I think I'd rather have paid a couple of quid more and gone Audi.

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, i installed the Heyner Flat Blade to replace the old style wiper yesterday, immediate improvement, like i expected the lower profile means my screen wash ends up on the windscreen and not on the huge wiper spoiler. :)

I have the Bosch AR70N. I think it's much better than the bosch old style wiper I had before. Doesn't leave stripes, like the old one did. Will post a pic tomorrow if I remember it ;)

Here you go, much better than the old style wiper. I will probably get the Bosch (just for the bigger brand) next time but the Heyner is pretty good.

It also saves £90 and some hassle upgrading the whole thing to the genuine Aero wiper.

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

Thanks. The wiper arm is not the same as on my car, I see, mine doesn't have that black plastic cover. Not sure I can improve anything replacing the blade only.

The plastic cover is not where the wiper blade mounts. It's on the metal U-hook.
This is the Bosch AR70N mounted on a 2001 car with the old style wiper arm. Very happy with it. Note, this is a car the steering wheel on the proper side =o) LHD in other words.
2014-11-11-19.42.11.jpg

Guru, mine is a LHD too :) I have no idea which wiper arms are old style, but I can't fit that blade on this arm. The black plastic cover I was talking about was the one covering the two bolts.
wiper.jpg

Cheers,
Darko

6stings. You have to newer style, also referred to as the floppy wiper or aero blade. You don't need the type of wiper that venusinfurs and I use. To improve your wiper,you should just get a good quality blade.

Learning something every day. I didn't know that was a newer wiper arm. I have the same type of arms on A3 2005, they look old compared to those I have on 2008 model.

I think I should adjust the screen wash jets only, on the drivers/left side they spray low, almost directly into the wiper arm.

The blades I use are Bosch, I have plenty of them, had to order them from Germany, the longest I could find here was Biltema's and they were shorter than stock blades.

Cheers,
Darko

Last edited:
I fitted the Bosch AR70N a few months back. Instant and vast improvement. Quieter and clearer. One problem: I've noticed that it's scratching the windscreen. Only slight, but scratching nevertheless. Not too bothered yet, as the windscreen is cracked and needs replacing, but obviously something I need to look at before ordering the new glass.

Has anyone experienced this?

I fitted the Bosch AR70N a few months back. Instant and vast improvement. Quieter and clearer. One problem: I've noticed that it's scratching the windscreen. Only slight, but scratching nevertheless. Not too bothered yet, as the windscreen is cracked and needs replacing, but obviously something I need to look at before ordering the new glass.

If it is in the centre of the blade then this is quite common.
You can grab the end of the arms where they join together at the blade and twist them quite firmly to give you some extra clearance between the studs on the end of the arms and the screen.
If it is scratching anywhere else then that would be very unusual indeed and so I assume it is the centre.

Steve B

Interesting, my blade is ok although when i first installed it missed a bit of the window to the far right/centre… double check the blade is pushed fully into the connection to the mounting, that was my issue.

Also just replaced the standard blade with a Bosch AR70N on my early 2001 SE. The standard blade was only 2 years old, about 15,000 miles but juddered and had done some damage to the centre of the bottom of the screen. The new AR70N (alarmingly with a picture on a HGV on the pack) is far better.

Back