limp mode after aggressive acceleration

Au2ro

The car has had limp mode issues after aggressive acceleration for some time now with no warning lights coming on when this happened. I increasingly could not "aggressively accelerate" and this was getting worse over the past few weeks ending up being abysmal. The mechanic at the garage doing a service and MOT found that there was a leak in the intercooler so I went for a new ProAlloy intercooler thanks to @timmus

Well, after installing a new ProAlloy intercooler which has greatly improved the acceleration on the car, I still have the underlying issue.

The issue is only apparent on aggressive acceleration. For example this morning I was coming onto the motorway on a slip road up an incline with a truck in front of me and another car behind me. I pulled on to the motorway behind the truck and the car behind me moved onto the right hand lane but waited for me to pull out too. I pulled out and accelerated successfully and got to 70mph but then the power dropped, I managed to keep to 70mph which I would not have been able to do before fitting the intercooler, but there was no more power to accelerate any further. Previously I would have waited behind the truck as I know that I would have had insufficient acceleration not to annoy the drivers behind me while trying to pass the truck.

When this happens I have to pull over and stop and restart the car before the full acceleration is available again.

I don’t think that there are any leaks in the associated pipework and the mechanic who fitted the intercooler said that he had inspected for that and if there were I suspect that I would not now have better performance on normal acceleration than I ever remember having before fitting the new intercooler?

The MAP sensor was not replaced and the old one was fitted to the new intercooler.

Could it be a wastegate issue causing to high boost pressure?
However, the issue was still apparent with the leaky intercooler, although more difficult to achieve with such poor acceleration.

Anyway, I now want to know what to check next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, after installing a new ProAlloy intercooler which has greatly improved the acceleration on the car
First of all, I'm delighted to hear that you've found the ProAlloy intercooler to give a decent increase in performance. So far, many who have fitted it have commented that it results in better acceleration but also an increase in smoothness.

Could it be a wastegate issue causing to high boost pressure?
Yes, this could be the case, but without the fault code from the ECU, we're all just guessing. There are many, many reasons the car can go into 'limp home mode'. At this stage, we can divide all the possible causes into two categories: overboost and underboost. The turbo generates compressed air. If it is generating too much compressed air, you get an overboost fault. If some of the compressed air is escaping, you get an underboost fault. Once we know if you have overboost or underboost, we can start helping you to look for the exact problem.

Cheers,

Tom

You need to do a VCDS scan. At the moment you (and those responding to your plea) are just guessing. Guessing is frustrating and often expensive, replacing parts that are not faulty. Mac.

Time for me to bite the bullet and get VCDS then.
I see that the scanners are cheap enough, and you can get free software that is limited in it's capabilities - is that right?
I could set up a netbook that I have to run the software, is it windows only?
I suppose there is no Linux alternative? Or does anyone run this on a Windows VirtualBox under Linux or even on Linux via wine?
Sounds like a new project for me is developing...

you can get free software that is limited in it's capabilities - is that right?
Yes, that's right. I have the full-fat version that can do everything, so I don't know the precise limitations of the free version, but it'll certainly be able to read fault codes.
I'll be back home in Lancaster soon. I appreciate that I'm a few hours down the motorway from you, but I'm more than happy to help you find the problem. As well as knowing my way around VCDS, I also know the TDI engines like the back of my hand.

I'll be back home in Lancaster soon. I appreciate that I'm a few hours down the motorway from you, but I'm more than happy to help you find the problem.
Thanks for the offer but I will try and get VCDS set up for myself first before deciding if I want to make the trip.

Thanks for the offer but I will try and get VCDS set up for myself first before deciding if I want to make the trip.
Fair enough. If you're in it for the long term, you won't regret an investent of time/money in VCDS. :)

Alternatively something like OBDeleven is a really good code reader but isn't as feature rich as vcds for programming - mainly due to the age of the A2 the support really isn't built into the tool. Its an option and doesnt need anything but a phone using bluetooth to attach to.

Suggest that you start with the free, VCDS Lite, and a KKL cable from ebay, (under £10) and see how you get on with it. Then decide if to upgrade, and, if so, what to. Cheapest next step is to register your lite version, at around £75, everything most of us will ever need. Mac.

Back