Lit Audi Badge

So I was tempted by the lit badge on Ebay, It had to be possible...

A quick measure up and the lit ones are bigger than the A2's bage by about 1cm in length. and 4mm in height.

Its arrived, and it looks like this might be quite possible without mullering the entire grille and having to respray. I think I will cut back the raised circles from the A2 grille and trial fit the rings, see how they sit and if any of the rough cut plastic shows through. If it does, the next phase is smoothing and painting the whole grille.

Either way , I am impressed with the Audi badge, silver when off, a light subdued white when lit (only tested on a 9v battery.)

Attachments

• 1603795039465 small.jpg
    1603795039465 small.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 1603795039500 small.jpg
    1603795039500 small.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 284
I've done this : https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/new-look-front-grill.27494/ and it's not easy! You can't just grind-off the raised part because holes then appear. You've got to do some filling and smoothing. Regarding your badge ..... I've fitted a similar type to the rear and it did fail fairly quickly because of water ingress. I discarded it and designed my own illuminated rear badge. It's been there for quite a few years and works fine! All I can suggest is that you take into account that the front badge is in a very vulnerable location as regards to water penetration. So take that into account and try to further seal/protect it with mastic. Best of luck!

David

I've done this : https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/new-look-front-grill.27494/ and it's not easy! You can't just grind-off the raised part because holes then appear. You've got to do some filling and smoothing. Regarding your badge ..... I've fitted a similar type to the rear and it did fail fairly quickly because of water ingress. I discarded it and designed my own illuminated rear badge. It's been there for quite a few years and works fine! All I can suggest is that you take into account that the front badge is in a very vulnerable location as regards to water penetration. So take that into account and try to further seal/protect it with mastic. Best of luck!

David
Thanks David. I can see where there is an ingress point on the wiring and will seal that area well. I can understand that the grille is just a raised extrusion so I've got the isopon at hand for once it's level. If this one fails, I've got the original to go back on, prepared for this to be a trial fitment and might not last. Also, if it fails it defaults to a silver badge, just it won't light.

The grill looks so much better flush! (I.M.H.O.) I used the ring badge from the old Audi 100, It was slightly larger and was perfect for this application. Maybe it's still available as a new part of from a breakers/Ebay? Finally, to get a really uniform and flat surface, I covered the whole grill with a sheet of fibreglass impregnated with resin. (I was installing LED lighting, too) Do get it to illuminate, please ..... then I'm not on my own with this idea! ;)

David

The grill looks so much better flush! (I.M.H.O.) I used the ring badge from the old Audi 100, It was slightly larger and was perfect for this application. Maybe it's still available as a new part of from a breakers/Ebay? Finally, to get a really uniform and flat surface, I covered the whole grill with a sheet of fibreglass impregnated with resin. (I was installing LED lighting, too) Do get it to illuminate, please ..... then I'm not on my own with this idea! ;)

David
You're not alone lol. You've paved the way for me. I have someone who works at a body shop who I may get to smooth and paint it. I'm thinking a black metallic with a very small fleck in just to add a bit of sparkle to the paint. This badge will be the same size as the 100 one I think. It's only slightly shrunk on the A2 as far as I can tell.

I'm thinking a black metallic with a very small fleck in just to add a bit of sparkle to the paint.
I'm not sure of your car's body colour but matching that with the grill makes it very classy! I've got the full Votex body kit and that's all the same colour (and the area below the front bumper) Make sure that the fibreglass matting is applied to the front of the grill. I had to do mine again because the area of the grill around the badge seemed to sink-down after using just filler and that spoiled the appearance. I'm looking forward to some photo's in the near future!

David

I'm not sure of your car's body colour but matching that with the grill makes it very classy! I've got the full Votex body kit and that's all the same colour (and the area below the front bumper) Make sure that the fibreglass matting is applied to the front of the grill. I had to do mine again because the area of the grill around the badge seemed to sink-down after using just filler and that spoiled the appearance. I'm looking forward to some photo's in the near future!

David
Mine is silver and no body kit, I am thinking of keeping it dark. Thankyou for the tip regarding the fibreglass top layer, I might pop it to my nearby body shop for some finishing. Just ordered a Dremel knock-off to assist with cutting back the original.

Personally I'd go with silver. It looks SO much better! "A2Steve" also went for the body colour for his grill. Think about it ..... EVERY A2 has a BLACK grill, so why not be different?

David
Ah, there is a little method in my madness. This will be my son's car, learning to drive from February onwards. And I need to be conscious that a modified A2 is a bit of a no-go. I'm happy to go with a lit badge as that reverts to silver when unilluminated, and it's switchable. Also happy to consider a black metallic grille to lift the appearance.

If it was purely for me, it would be painted another colour.

Last edited:
Today we are going through the looking ugly before the looking pretty bits....

Attachments

• 1604233418933.jpg
    1604233418933.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 231
Wow! That brings back some memories! I didn't know that it resulted in THAT amount of material loss! You can see now why you do need to use the fibreglass sheet ..... maybe TWO layers? (and covering the whole area) It will be worth it, believe me!

David

Today has been time to do the boring unseen bits.
Wiring from the fuse , to the switch, routing through the bulkhead to the service hatch.

Still to do - fix a quick release connector at the service hatch for easy bonnet removal, wire an earth in.

Oh , and see if the paint shop has done anything with the grille.

PHOTO_20201115_151601.jpg

PHOTO_20201115_151538.jpg

Can you mount a pair of spring loaded contact pins to the slam panel that make contact to the rear of the service hatch, one power and the other earth. That way when the hatch is closed it is powered and as soon as opened it is disconnected. A bit like the hatch alarm button but for power and earth to the hatch.

Can you mount a pair of spring loaded contact pins to the slam panel that make contact to the rear of the service hatch, one power and the other earth. That way when the hatch is closed it is powered and as soon as opened it is disconnected. A bit like the hatch alarm button but for power and earth to the hatch.
That sounds very much like a factory / Audi solution. There are issues with how those contact points would work as the bonnet fitment is more of an angled slide. I recall a car I had with these contact point connections on the boot lid, think it was a Mk2 Golf, to tranfer heated window connection to the tailgate.

Wiring from the fuse , to the switch, routing through the bulkhead to the service hatch.
Still to do - fix a quick release connector at the service hatch for easy bonnet removal, wire an earth in.
I'm not sure what you're doing, here? My grill badge simply gets its power from the side-lights, so when they are on, the badge is on. Bonnet removal : I just drop the service hatch and disconnect a small plug/socket that is in-line to the badge illumination. It's a quick and simple operation. (You can also use it to isolate the badge illumination at any time, for any reason). I cannot see any reason to have it via an internal switch when this is so easy!

David

I'm not sure what you're doing, here? My grill badge simply gets its power from the side-lights, so when they are on, the badge is on. Bonnet removal : I just drop the service hatch and disconnect a small plug/socket that is in-line to the badge illumination. It's a quick and simple operation. (You can also use it to isolate the badge illumination at any time, for any reason). I cannot see any reason to have it via an internal switch when this is so easy!

David
I want it switchable and also not dependant on lights being on. So it can run badge lit, lights off. Plus the option to turn it on and off at will without disconnecting anything.

I want it switchable and also not dependent on lights being on. So it can run badge lit, lights off. Plus the option to turn it on and off at will without disconnecting anything.
O.K. Understood The badge is illuminated so would be intended for use in darkness .... is that correct? I would have thought that the general lighting would have been in use, too? Oh well, you'll have something that you can use at random, at the flick of a switch! My plug/socket DOES allow for a very easy removal of the bonnet, though ....

David

O.K. Understood The badge is illuminated so would be intended for use in darkness .... is that correct? I would have thought that the general lighting would have been in use, too? Oh well, you'll have something that you can use at random, at the flick of a switch! My plug/socket DOES allow for a very easy removal of the bonnet, though ....

David
It would light in daylight too - and its nice having the option.

has anyone seen the proposed ID3 based reincarnation of the A2?? spot anything?
a2 etron.jpg

Back