Little Atom requires some TLC.

Stan H

Morning All,

Well a week of running since I got the 1.4 TDI se with 144K on it and yesterday was the first day (without rain) that I could get under (Little Atom) to do the Air & Oil filter change, as the service light had come on during the week. the recipts I got with it showed that the fuel filter and housing had been done in Dec last year.

There has been an anoying rattle on some of the jittery road surfaces and when underneath I found the same issue that my Fabia had had. The front ARB could be pulled side to side and had corroded / worn in the ARB bush area. A2Steve who I have contacted for a few bits and bobs has come forward with an 2004 ARB which help solve that one

Other jobs are the front shocks look to be the origanals (well the corrosion you would see on the legs of Blackpool pier) the boots for the inner and outer CV shafts are end of life, track rod ends the same along with the bottome wishbone / hub ball joints.
So a bit to do, the engine will need a new timing belt kit etc and i would think with the mileage the crank / balance shaft chain tensioner kit as well.

I got a set of cast lower suspension arms last week from Moocha and I have always renewed bushings were possible with std powerflex bushes.

I would like the forums advice on Shocks, springs, I want the ride to be as comfortable as possible (not jittery or crashy). also the best place to get them from, cuurently using Euro Car Parts, BBC autofactors both within a mile where I live.

Also where are the best places for the axle stands as there doesnt seem much room once i get my trolley jack under it.

All advice freely acepted with gatitude.
Cheers.

I'm sure plenty of members will be along to give their invaluable advice soon enough. I would say this has the makings of a good project thread, always nice to see progress of others A2's.

regards, Mark

On shocks and springs Bilstein B3/B4 pairing is often mentioned, have you OSS?

Worth reading the Definitive Suspension thread linked below but take a paracetamol first you will need it by the end.

Also 15" wheels do a lot for comfort.

Andy

Last edited:
On shocks and springs Bilstein B3/B4 pairing is often mentioned, have you OSS?

Worth reading the Definitive Suspension thread linked below but take a paracetamol first you will need it by the end.

Also 15" wheels do a lot for comfort.

Andy
Will do., Yes it's got OSS & on 185/50/16 at the moment. I like a good read. Cheers. ?

Yesterday I.
Set out to renew the front bottom ball / hub joints & track rod ends, and new front pads.
I went to pick up the ordered parts from ECP and there was a track rod end missing but they would have one by lunch. Started the stripdown, first time getting in there since buying. Lots of the red flakey stuff, wire brush, wd40, bars & lump hammer and the n/s was stripped cleaned and ready for the rebuild. Rang ECP at lunch, Yes it's arrived. Picked it up, got home opened the package to find an O/S track rod end in a N/s box. ?, Back to ECP forgot mask had to go back home then back again,? plus the one way system due to road works. Sorry Mate no can do until Tuesday now due to Bank Hol Monday.? Shared drive is blocked.
Put old track rod end back on so I can move it.
Wind / Puch brake caliper pistons back in, thankfully cast type not alloy like the Skoda went in like a dream. Then a fight with the caliper slide pins, ordering new today, found a 2 size smaller difference with the O/s on the torx size heads on the pins!!!!?
o/s only a very tight bottom guide pin, took a risk and used the electric hammer gun which got me out of jail.
All built back up for now but will require further investigation and new parts. @A2Steve ARB has arrived along with a missing floor bung near jacking point, tweeter grille for rear door and a rear section of head lining near back window.
The adventure continues.
You'll see new shocks and springs at some stage too.
Enjoy your B/Hol weekend whatever your doing.
PXL_20210529_120800031_compress47.jpg
PXL_20210529_100434058_compress12.jpg
PXL_20210529_100438059_compress1.jpg

Back