little red interior ambient light on interior lights plate

kiklop123

I used to have A4 (B5) with small red interior ambient led light installed on the interior light plate. This light was not visible in the dark, but when you put your hand on the gear stick, you could see your hand illuminated red pretty well. Does anybody know what i am talking about, and how to find this. I would really like to have it in my A2.
I surf the web, but all i can find are red lasers, projecting some patterns on the roof.

I know the thing you mean from my Volvo, where those lights are in green. Someone on the Volvo forum that I'm on changed theirs, with just normal LEDs I believe. In the Volvo they are mounted behind little holes (2-3mm) in the interior light plate, drilled in the right position to create narrow dim beams of light that pool in the gear lever area. The question is, does the interior light plate on the A2 roof sit well enough over the gear lever that you can replicate the effect?

The Mk1 TT has one too, illuminates when the ash tray is open. So you can see into the cubby in front of the gear stick.
Must have been a noughties thing.
Mac

Someone on the Volvo forum that I'm on changed theirs, with just normal LEDs I believe.
How does LED light perform? Is it same as before?
from my Volvo, where those lights are in green.
I never thought that they could be different colors. Thanks for the idea. However, i believe red is best for Audi.
The question is, does the interior light plate on the A2 roof sit well enough over the gear lever that you can replicate the effect?
Doesn't matter if it is not directly above gear lever. If mounted DIY, you can choose best spot (and angle). It is just important that it illuminates in the area between gear lever and ashtray.

Attachments

• 34842.jpg
    34842.jpg
    977.8 KB · Views: 97
How does LED light perform? Is it same as before?

I never thought that they could be different colors. Thanks for the idea. However, i believe red is best for Audi.

Doesn't matter if it is not directly above gear lever. If mounted DIY, you can choose best spot (and angle). It is just important that it illuminates in the area between gear lever and ashtray.

It was some time ago that I read about it. If I recall correctly, they enlarged the holes slightly to increase the light output, due to the new LEDs producing a darker colour than before. I'd agree that red is the definitely the colour to go for. You can then try various hole sizes starting from your smallest drill until you get the effect you're looking for.

found this thread on forum;

how hard isit to put the Interior Lights Switch (8Z0947111 ) plate off. Is it just a screwdriver from the back of the plate and pull it out?

today o received the red ambient leds from A4. They came 30Eur together with postage from DE.
led lights.jpg

Than remove the interior roof light and search for right connection. Picture say more than thousand words;
connector.jpg

And finished product looks like this;
led finish.jpg

I like it a lot. When the night drops, will post another photo.
Cheers, Andrej

If people are looking for another suitable donor car for this part, these were also on the MK5 golf SE and above, these might have better scrapheap availability than A4s

as promised, night pictures. I like the soft glow light. Very handy, if you need to find something, read a parking ticket, map, shopping list, etc... When white peace of paper is placed under, it really steps out.

The cabin of A2 suddenly becomes the cockpit of a spacecraft, T-25 seconds. Twenty seconds and counting. T-15 seconds, guidance is internal. 12, 11, 10, 9 ... ignition sequence start ... 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 ... All engines running. Liftoff!

brez roke.jpg
menjalna ročica.jpg

še ena.jpg
še ena 2.jpg
od zgoraj.jpg

Attachments

• nadzorna plošča.jpg
    nadzorna plošča.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 169
  • še ena.jpg
    še ena.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 157
as promised, night pictures. I like the soft glow light. Very handy, if you need to find something, read a parking ticket, map, shopping list, etc... When white peace of paper is placed under, it really steps out.

The cabin of A2 suddenly becomes the cockpit of a spacecraft, T-25 seconds. Twenty seconds and counting. T-15 seconds, guidance is internal. 12, 11, 10, 9 ... ignition sequence start ... 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 ... All engines running. Liftoff!

View attachment 102245 View attachment 102246
View attachment 102248 View attachment 102249 View attachment 102250
Really nice OEM upgrade sir, well done 👏

Hola Referir

los leds ambientales rojos de A4 referencia please
Hello there,

When I first done this modification in my original A2 commuter some years ago I used the red LEDs from 2 VAG vehicles for different iterations of experimentation:

Audi A4 B6
IMG_7585.jpeg

IMG_7586.jpeg

The LEDs from the A4 can be placed separately wherever you’d like on the A2 map reading light switch pack.

Seat Exeo
IMG_7588.jpeg

IMG_7587.jpeg

I personally preferred Exeo LEDs as they’re both together in their own housing and adhere easily to the top side of the A2 mal reading light switch pack.

The choice is yours and there will be many many more vehicles that these can be taken from. They simply run off a 12v source. If you have an OSS enabled A2 then the wires from the 2 pin connector that goes to the OSS switch for illumination can be used, very easy thing to do after drilling the necessary 2 holes into the map reading light switch panel.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back