Lock car when engine is running

Vic

I want to start the car and leave it running to warm up but do not want to leave it unlocked. Will separate remote key fob work when car is running to lock the car?

unless you have a dedicated security system fitted to the car i do not recommend this at all.. just asking for the car to be stolen

I want to start the car and leave it running to warm up but do not want to leave it unlocked. Will separate remote key fob work when car is running to lock the car?
Evening Vic,

Interesting question as Im sure there is quite a few of us here reading this who also start the car in the morning then nip back indoors to finish that coffee or bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes.

I personally down lock mine which is a gamble I suppose. Im positive that if you had a second key fob that you will be able to lock the car with the engine running. If you don't have a spare key fob to try this out then I will try it in the morning.

That said, I do have some spare key fobs here for the earlier generation CCCUs. Let me know which CCCU you have as I might be able to give you a couple of spare key fobs (remote part only)

Kind regards,

Tom

It happens that I start the car and lock the door in the mornings when the temperature is below minus 10 degrees Celsius. I lock the car with the spare key in the door lock.

Evening Vic,

Interesting question as Im sure there is quite a few of us here reading this who also start the car in the morning then nip back indoors to finish that coffee or bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes.

I personally down lock mine which is a gamble I suppose. Im positive that if you had a second key fob that you will be able to lock the car with the engine running. If you don't have a spare key fob to try this out then I will try it in the morning.

That said, I do have some spare key fobs here for the earlier generation CCCUs. Let me know which CCCU you have as I might be able to give you a couple of spare key fobs (remote part only)

Kind regards,

Tom

I dont have second key.
My cccu is 8Z0 959 433 M and my original key is 8z0 837 231.

My door lock not working with the key but maybe it can be also locked with remote when engine is running.

Last edited:
Hi Vic,

Yes you have the older generation CCCU and I have 3 or 4 spare key fob (remote part only) that you can have. You will need to use VCDS to pair them to the car.

Kind regards,

Tom

Firstly @Vic please get the door lock functioning with the key blade. This is your backup if the remotes fail ( and they do ). Second as a bare minimum I suggest to get a valet key incase you lock the key in the car by accident. Only once you have a backup would I suggest locking the car with the engine running. Tom has very kindly offered to help you with a fob, so I suggest you take him up on the offer. BUT please reread my first important sentence.

You may well find that using lots of penetrating oil in the lock and rotating back and forth eventually lets the key function as it should. I am assuming it is the correct key for the door lock.

Firstly @Vic please get the door lock functioning with the key blade. This is your backup if the remotes fail ( and they do ). Second as a bare minimum I suggest to get a valet key incase you lock the key in the car by accident. Only once you have a backup would I suggest locking the car with the engine running. Tom has very kindly offered to help you with a fob, so I suggest you take him up on the offer. BUT please reread my first important sentence.

You may well find that using lots of penetrating oil in the lock and rotating back and forth eventually lets the key function as it should. I am assuming it is the correct key for the door lock.

My key blade can unlock the car but can not lock it because i can not turn it that way. And yes i know that it should be fixed.

I will write PM to Tom.

you cannot use the remote while the engine is running. I saw it at least twice today, cars running with no person in. It's "normal" at a certain level, generally when it gets below -15 or so.

Can't do it on the SX4, either, tried that today.

- Bret

Not the lock that is sticking, you need the WD40 to flush out the mechanism. The lock is not normally used and sticks if not flushed and worked.

I don't know what's involved but the emergency services use a system called run-lock where you use a switch to override the ignition switch so you can remove the key and lock the vehicle and it will run. To drive you just unlock and put the key back into the steering lock and turn to position 2. If anyone tries to drive the car the run-lock cuts out the engine. Remembering it's illegal to leave a vehicle running on a road. A quick google will find a company that sells a similar product in Manchester for £163. A lot for a warm car.
John

I don't know what's involved but the emergency services use a system called run-lock where you use a switch to override the ignition switch so you can remove the key and lock the vehicle and it will run. To drive you just unlock and put the key back into the steering lock and turn to position 2. If anyone tries to drive the car the run-lock cuts out the engine.
This cannot be trivial.

Remembering it's illegal to leave a vehicle running on a road. A quick google will find a company that sells a similar product in Manchester for £163. A lot for a warm car.
John
In the UK, maybe. Here, it's fine. And 163gbp compared to the thousand for a webasto install is peanuts.

This cannot be trivial.

In the UK, maybe. Here, it's fine. And 163gbp compared to the thousand for a webasto install is peanuts.
I agree for Northern European countries a price worth paying. We in the UK are beneficiaries of the Jet stream and generally our winters are modest compared to other countries on the same latitude. As to the Run-lock type of system what is involved in fitting and if it's a DIY job I don't know. For those with diesel vehicles with broken Webasto's or like yourself bretti_kivi in Finland and Scandinavia it may merit further investigation.
John

Run-lock wouldn't help anyone with a broken Webasto very much. The whole reason for the Webasto is because the diesels produce next to no heat, especially at idle. Guess they could run heated rear window, mirrors & seats but they'd still be scraping the other windows.

Steering wheel lock is probably best way to go if that like what has already been said your aux heater works

My key blade can unlock the car but can not lock it because i can not turn it that way. And yes i know that it should be fixed.

I will write PM to Tom.
Hello Vic,

I have 3 remote part for the earlier generation CCCU. Part number 8Z0837231:

4FDC8C62-74C4-48DF-835C-F3F474BFC653.jpeg

There were all added to Project OEM last year but that CCCU failed, so these were 100% working some 10 months ago and have been stored on a sealed bit since then along with other spares. They’re a bit dirty so I’ll give them a wipe down.

I also have 1 spare later generation type (bonus as I did t know I had this) which is the same part number but ends in D. I’ll keep this as an addition to Project 250.

So out of the 3 spares above I can confirm that:
1. You have one that I’ll send. Please give me the address via PM. Only cost will be P&P, you can have the fob FOC
2. @Scudney has asked for one via PM. Just need an address. FOC plus P&P
3. @amble-gamble has also asked for one via PM. Again FOC plus P&P

Glad I am able to help out 3 members. Remember this is only for the remote part and not the front part which you will need to get along with the key blade and ID48 Transponder Chip. All these items will require someone with the tools and know how to get it all working with your A2.

Someone like Tom @timmus is ideal but there are others available by checking the VCDS free scan register as some people have the ability to get the SKC etcetera. That said, Tom is the man though as whilst your in his great company you could also have some ‘other stuff’ done to your A2 at the same time.

Kind regards,

Tom

Last edited:
Back