Locking Wheel Nuts

Howdy Ay 2

A2OC Donor
Morning.

This is very embarrassing and annoying but I cannot find the Locking wheel nut key for my A2?

Please see the attached photo showing the locking wheel nut.

What would be the best option ( apart from not misplacing the item in the first place ) please?

I believe that you can buy removal tools from the Bay of E but are there easier, cheaper options?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20190428_190656.jpg
    20190428_190656.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 277
Unfortunately that's not an original Audi locking bolt, which makes getting the nuts off a bit of an effort I'm afraid. The most common suggestion involves getting a twelve sided socket that's very slightly smaller than the outside edge of the bolt and then hammering it on so that you can then use it to undo the bolt.
If you're lucky, someone here will recognise the pattern of that bolt and point you at the correct key, but it's a pretty slim hope I'm afraid.
Don't you keep the key in the rear of the car under the floor with the rest of the tools?

Hi Steve.

Yes, as a rule I always keep the key with the rest of the tools in all of our vehicles so I am confused as to why I can't find it there.

Thanks for the reply.

I've removed locking bolts from cars(I've owned) in the past, when did you last hear of wheels being stolen?
Sorry, I don't recognise the bolt in question though there are companies advertising locking nut removal should you have no joy here. Good luck.

Hi. Have you had it before? If not, have you looked in the usual place for it? (Sorry if I'm asking a daft question, but I couldn't find mine recently despite looking where they are normally stored and took it to Audi, only to have them go straight to it ?)

I used it earlier in April to change over from winter wheels/tyres to summer wheels/tyres.

I have owned the A2 for 3 years now and this is the first time that I have managed to misplace the locking wheel bolt key ( old age maybe ).

In fact in all my years of owning cars I have never before misplaced the locking wheel nut.

Will probably end up removing them then replacing them with standard wheel bolts. Then the key will probably turn up :(

I used it earlier in April to change over from winter wheels/tyres to summer wheels/tyres.

I have owned the A2 for 3 years now and this is the first time that I have managed to misplace the locking wheel bolt key ( old age maybe ).

In fact in all my years of owning cars I have never before misplaced the locking wheel nut.

Will probably end up removing them then replacing them with standard wheel bolts. Then the key will probably turn up :(
Is it possible you left it on a wheel? I've done this before, centre cap fitted over the top and kept it safe.

Or it remained stuck in the socket and is in your tool kit.

Out of interest my 55 plate A2 never had locking nuts from new I assume.

Andy

In case it jogs your memory, here is a picture showing the location of my bolt key:

Location of wheel bolt key.jpg

You wouldn't be the first to blank out when it comes to remembering where the key is - I did exactly the same last year.

The blue plastic case in the picture is the tyre compressor, and people who don't have one of those often drop the key into that compartment.

I have checked everywhere in the A2 and my tool boxes but no sign and definitely not left it on one of the wheels

Think I will have to order 4 standard A2 wheel bolts then attempt to remove the locking wheel bolts.

Thanks for the replies.

Think I will have to order 4 standard A2 wheel bolts then attempt to remove the locking wheel bolts.

It might be worth looking out for a used set of original Audi locking bolts as supplied from new with the A2s - they often crop up in the marketplace here - as replacement keys for them are very easy to find should you lose the original. You may even find that @sciroccorrado still has a set available: https://www.a2oc.net/community/inde...locking-wheel-bolts-and-key-price-drop.38248/

Well spotted and Thank You Steve.

I have just posted in the market place thread asking whether scirroccorrado has any of the sets left.

Back