long time anonymous lurker, finally signed up..

ukrainian

Hi everyone,

just thought I'd share what I've learned about my A2. I described in a separate thread the problem I had with the passenger front door control module, but here are some other bits of info.

Anti-roll bar bushes failed at 40k and there was much clonking of ARB against the subframe when driving on uneven surfaces. Repair was not expensive, my good mechanic friend did it in no time.

The 4-pin temperature sensor needed replacing. The dash temperature gauge changed to part-time working :). It would sometimes show the engine to be completely cold when it was in fact at optimum temperature, sometimes it would show anywhere between lukewarm and full operating temperature. Car occasionally would not start with the engine still warm. The dash gauge could always be brought back to life by turning off ignition, tugging at temperature sensor connector wires (bonnet off job), turning on ignition again. Anyway a £5 replacement part from ebay resolved this (after a struggle to fit it - I wished for a Jeremy Beadle hand!). Noticed at the time the old faulty part had very thin pins compared to the replacement part. Found this curious because it possibly wasn't the original part - it was green instead of expected blue for original. The car had always been serviced / repaired exclusively by H R Owen Watford Audi.

Interior alarm sensor switch broke - plastic top's retaining clips snapped off and it fell out (it had hardly ever been used!). Fixed it myself with a new retaining arrangement - a small screw through the side of the switch housing and a corresponding milled slot in the plastic top's side wall.

Driver door check strap failing, can hear the tell-tale clicking.. Got a replacement ready.

Luggage compartment light works once in a blue moon. Clearly a mechanical problem with the microswitch in the tailgate lock as described elsewhere on this forum.

Boot lid gas struts worn (replacement Stabilus ones arrived today). Boot bounces back on closing sometimes resulting in failure to lock. I am aware of the solenoid delay if boot switch is operated by accident on closing, it's not that..

One of the rear seat belts has failed but this is possibly due to broken glass getting inside - cracked quarter window got replaced on insurance by a careless fitter, I've been hoovering bits of glass from the boot and found lots more when I took off the side trim to access the seat belt mount. Second hand replacement on the way from eBay, £20...

Its a fairly basic 2002 1.4L Petrol with electric front windows only and climate control, 57k miles. It is going to take us to the south of France, again, at the end of July. Last year it happily cruised there and back at 130kph!

Welcome to A2OC, Ukrainian who lives in the UK and holidays in France. I'm pleased to see an A2 has fallen into good hands. :)

Yes, welcome aboard. I'm only down the road in MK.

There is an active social scene if you are interested in meeting like-minded folk and enjoy the sight of a collection of A2s together.

I'm also near Northampton - 2mins from J16 of the M1. Welcome to you.

Simon.

Back