Lower control arm

rob1976

Good afternoon all. It’s been a while since I have posted as I haven’t had a single issue with my trusting Tdi.

Issue is the driver side lower control arm is rotting to the core. It’s the later type with a separate ball joint.

Does anyone have a part No? Is the polo one the same?

My A2 is a 2004 model and my control arms/wishbones don't look too good but struggling to get pressed steel replacements so considering going for the cast versions which were fitted t earlier models and replace bushes etc.. Unless someone knows where we can still get the pressed steel versions?

Attachments

• july 01 039.JPG
    july 01 039.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 243
  • july 01 040.JPG
    july 01 040.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
  • july 01 041.JPG
    july 01 041.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 206
The pressed steel arms are definitely not recommended; it's safest to convert back to the earlier solid arms.

Good afternoon all. It’s been a while since I have posted as I haven’t had a single issue with my trusting Tdi.

Issue is the driver side lower control arm is rotting to the core. It’s the later type with a separate ball joint.

Does anyone have a part No? Is the polo one the same?

Make a cup of tea and settle down and read this ...

Perhaps more useful to you towards the end.

Andy

Yes, we did it and it’s a pig of a job. I’d say just allow enough time, perhaps do a side per day.
I would be changing the shocks, drop links and top mounts at the same time as they are easy ish to change, you will notice a massive difference in the ride.
Shout if you need anything.

Yes, we did it and it’s a pig of a job. I’d say just allow enough time, perhaps do a side per day.
I would be changing the shocks, drop links and top mounts at the same time as they are easy ish to change, you will notice a massive difference in the ride.
Shout if you need anything.

OMG!!! It was a nightmare to do. Full day. Totally burnt me out.

The other side is going to the garage to do☹️

Told you so! It took us all weekend to complete.

Those lower arms do not slide into the lower mount correctly. Had to remove the whole bracket. Even then I had to cut the old one with a grinder. Has to be the hardest job ever!

Those lower arms do not slide into the lower mount correctly. Had to remove the whole bracket. Even then I had to cut the old one with a grinder. Has to be the hardest job ever!
With anything like that I spray penetrating fluid on anything you need to undo a week before you want to start the job ...then anything your not keeping take the load off and angle grinder & slitting disc ..I’ve done a good few hilux leaf spring sets over the years same thing don’t waste time trying to undo anything your not keeping cut the lot off ..

With anything like that I spray penetrating fluid on anything you need to undo a week before you want to start the job ...then anything your not keeping take the load off and angle grinder & slitting disc ..I’ve done a good few hilux leaf spring sets over the years same thing don’t waste time trying to undo anything your not keeping cut the lot off ..
That’s what I used. The trusty angle grinder to remove ??

That’s what I used. The trusty angle grinder to remove ??

I have the other side to do... At least I’ve had the practice. The hole in the one removed was shocking! Dangerous as 75%+ had totally rotted away. If it was to break away at speed your wheel would twist in and.... Well blue lights and a total write off! ?

Here they are...

Attachments

• 59651D20-967F-4BDB-AF9C-CFA898FF787A.jpeg
    59651D20-967F-4BDB-AF9C-CFA898FF787A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 187
  • 61177971-F1A1-45CC-95C9-ED5A9EC11126.jpeg
    61177971-F1A1-45CC-95C9-ED5A9EC11126.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 190
I have the other side to do... At least I’ve had the practice. The hole in the one removed was shocking! Dangerous as 75%+ had totally rotted away. If it was to break away at speed your wheel would twist in and.... Well blue lights and a total write off! ?
My experience was the the wheel twisted out ( ie massive toe out on one side ) and that scrubbed speed off pretty quickly without depositing me in the hedgerow.

Back