Lower suspension arm removal

Chiefmechanic

Need to change the lower suspension arm. Do I need to take out the console the arm fits into at the back or will it tap out.
85FD111E-297C-4066-A1FA-1FFC0DBC098B.jpeg

It is possible to do without removing the consoles but its a bit harder. Getting the new arms back involves heavy duty ratchet straps!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I did mine one side at a time, and took the console off. It means buying more new bolts, but given there's a reasonable risk (50% in my case) of stripping the front bolt holding the arm to the console, and the aforementioned struggle to get the whole lot back together, I'm glad I took mine out.

If you remove the consoles don't forget to pin their positions.
As mentioned the bolt securing the arm may strip the thread in the console.
There is a VW assembly fluid that helps the new arm into the rubber bush, it then dries to secure the arm.

Worst case scenario I have a pair of consoles here, they are currently reserved for another member, but once he has carried out his replacement, we will know if he needs them or not.
I had both of my wishbones and consoles replaced earlier this week to cast, and both consoles needed replacing as the long bolts needed cutting due to them becoming stuck fast in the threads, thus stripping them clean of thread. Good job I took two sets of consoles down 'just in case'!!!
Just to add, I have soaked all bolts and threads with WD40 a few times prior to taking it in, feeling quite sure that this would make the job 10 times easier for him!!!!

It is possible to do without removing the consoles but its a bit harder. Getting the new arms back involves heavy duty ratchet straps!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
It is possible and in my humble opinion a far better way NOT to remove consoles better bet to buy the bush removal tool if replacing them at the same time big bar whilst car up on ramp and pre starting plenty of release spray everywhere ...we have done the two cars this way ..

I’ve always changed to used cast arms complete with the consoles. It’s then an hours work at most each side. I would imagine pressing out the old bush would be a nightmare for a home mechanic.

I’ve always changed to used cast arms complete with the consoles. It’s then an hours work at most each side. I would imagine pressing out the old bush would be a nightmare for a home mechanic.
With fewer diesels getting broken historically, I'm wondering if you've ever ended up using the complete arm & console unit from a petrol car on a diesel? The petrols have a less rugged bush because of the lighter engine. I'm in that situation on one side of one of mine. Did you ever get any further issues with bushes afterwards?

I used one from a 1.4 petrol on my orange 90. As to whether I got any wear problems afterwards I just can’t say because I never keep them long enough ?

Back