Making OSS manual? Experiement only, any ideas welcome

Sylvester

This is just an idea to play with. I know Ian and Adam are offering a great oss fixing service, for a very reasonable price, which I'd like to use as well like other members have, but I'm moving house soon and saving up will take a bit longer.
In the meantime I was thinking, if I want to get it sorted later anyway, as an experimental, why not try something new and try to make it manual.

For the handler I was thinking something like the 1998-2006 Clios had. So opening the clamp and pushing the glass backwards. Not sure how the glass would stay in position ( maybe magnets on glass and B pillar?), or how the cables would work/move, like cutting them might be a bit too extreme, but hey this is experimental, so bring in your ideas of you interested.

Ian and Adam are the experts about this, perhaps if they came up with an idea and make a how-to with details and pictures on a CD or so, they'd sell that as well for people whom live too far from London, but would like some oss experience. Of course just an idea. Cheers

I suggested something like this ages ago but I don't think anyone got excited about it...

the old t-top American cars used to have a clamp type handle lever thingy that you undid and then that released the panel of glass which you could then put in boot or back seat etc...

you can see the guy pull the lever thingy in this video and then remove the glass...

The problem with a how to is that it's not a simple job at all, the roof has to come out and each panel has to be separated from the frame, I would be happy to write a how to on how to close it if it's broken though, as I understand that this would be very helpful.

but there are industrial style generic universal clamps / levers that would be better suited for the A2

The problem with a how to is that it's not a simple job at all, the roof has to come out and each panel has to be separated from the frame, I would be happy to write a how to on how to close it if it's broken though, as I understand that this would be very helpful.

Making the oss removable like that sounds nice, but would be definitely a massive job.

I was rather thinking to KEEP the same "sliding design", just make it possible to open with "push by hand", like older manual sunroofs.

Also that how-to close it would be great, especially if the cog just spins like mine after a few twists using the hidden tool.

Last edited:
Making the oss removable like that sounds nice, but would be definitely a massive job.

I was rather thinking to KEEP the same "sliding design", just make it possible to open with "push by hand", like older manual sunroofs.

Also that how-to close it would be great, especially if the cog just spins like mine after a few twists using the hidden tool.

Like putting suction handle or something like that, on the "1" to began lifting the glass, then move it to "2" and push it all the way back. Would it work if the oss motor was removed, so the cog doesn't put pressure on the cables? Or those cables need a lot of force to be moved and that pressure could break the glass?
Screenshot_2019-05-25-18-47-01.png

Sorry don't want to step on Ian and Adam for offering their fantastic service. But I do believe if you want to tinker with Audis design for the OSS by making it manual / removable single or multiple panels you will be very much on your own. Better to save and have the OSS PROFESSIONALLY serviced by @Kleynie than cause more issues that may render it scrap. In the end it is your roof and money, just think people will be reluctant to recommend this route and not to get it repaired / replaced. After all how do you value an OSS with pop out or manual panels with odd clamps etc.

Sorry don't want to step on Ian and Adam for offering their fantastic service. But I do believe if you want to tinker with Audis design for the OSS by making it manual / removable single or multiple panels you will be very much on your own. Better to save and have the OSS PROFESSIONALLY serviced by @Kleynie than cause more issues that may render it scrap. In the end it is your roof and money, just think people will be reluctant to recommend this route and not to get it repaired / replaced. After all how do you value an OSS with pop out or manual panels with odd clamps etc.
I was thinking about suction cups, so they could be removed. Ian and Adam are definitely the best option, and I plan to get the oss fixed, but I'm moving house so it takes bit of time to save up for that.
Therefor if I plan to get it fixed later anyway, I was thinking for the time being I experiment a bit. I'm just not sure if the roof can be opened only by pushing it, with the motor removed of course, or the cables need more force and I'd break the glass too that way.

TBH I would leave well alone, move house and save up to have the roof repaired in its unmolested condition. Even by removing the motor and continuing to slide the panels you risk further damage and cost!

Like putting suction handle or something like that, on the "1" to began lifting the glass, then move it to "2" and push it all the way back. Would it work if the oss motor was removed, so the cog doesn't put pressure on the cables? Or those cables need a lot of force to be moved and that pressure could break the glass?View attachment 51897
It can't just be opened without the motor unfortunately, I wish it was though, that would make removing them a whole load easier for me. You have to get a tool into the runners to release them first before it can be moved backwards.

from my old post ages ago on this subject...

so, what do you guys think of making a new "mount" or "seat" for the glass panel that is less contraptiony and more simple and malfunction-proof?

there are so many ways we could do this...

1. a system that just allows the trailing edge to move up so as to make more ventilation but not opening the roof all the way.

2. a system that allowed the manual removal of the glass panel to then be places in the boot or garage etc. This would be very simple and elegant and cheap to implement but of course the trade off would be that you had to park to open the roof or close it. but the benefit is it is bulletproof and reasonably cheap .

3. a system like 2 but it would allow manual opening and closing with glass panel staying on roof(not being removed and placed in boot). Slightly more complicated and expensive but no need to put the panel in boot when you want to open it.

4. a system combining features of 1 and 2.

also we could incorporate shells for the roof panels to change the color so you could have a black roof or neon green or body coloured roof etc.

It can't just be opened without the motor unfortunately, I wish it was though, that would make removing them a whole load easier for me. You have to get a tool into the runners to release them first before it can be moved backwards.
That's unfortunate. My roof can't be opened with the tool like that though. Few click and it stops. On the button it opens more, but one of the sides always gets stuck, when it suppose to go backward.
What if it gets stuck like that and the tool doesn't work either? Thanks

from my old post ages ago on this subject...

so, what do you guys think of making a new "mount" or "seat" for the glass panel that is less contraptiony and more simple and malfunction-proof?

there are so many ways we could do this...

1. a system that just allows the trailing edge to move up so as to make more ventilation but not opening the roof all the way.

2. a system that allowed the manual removal of the glass panel to then be places in the boot or garage etc. This would be very simple and elegant and cheap to implement but of course the trade off would be that you had to park to open the roof or close it. but the benefit is it is bulletproof and reasonably cheap .

3. a system like 2 but it would allow manual opening and closing with glass panel staying on roof(not being removed and placed in boot). Slightly more complicated and expensive but no need to put the panel in boot when you want to open it.

4. a system combining features of 1 and 2.

also we could incorporate shells for the roof panels to change the color so you could have a black roof or neon green or body coloured roof etc.
My roof at the moment only opens like an inch, but when it about to go backward, one side gets stuck and that's not a comforting view at all.

What I was thinking like about your version, that when the roof just lifts up an inch, 2 screws appear on each side, which seems to connect the glass to the frame. If you unscrew them, should be a 2 people job tbh as unbalanced pressure could break the glass, then THEORETICALLY the glass panel on its on comes out with only 2 small connector aattached to it. Theoretically.

That's unfortunate. My roof can't be opened with the tool like that though. Few click and it stops. On the button it opens more, but one of the sides always gets stuck, when it suppose to go backward.
What if it gets stuck like that and the tool doesn't work either? Thanks
Sorry, my mistake, I should've made it clearer. I didn't mean the Allen key, I meant that a tool is needed to get into the sides of the roof from below, when in the car, otherwise it's impossible to properly open due to the motor.

My roof at the moment only opens like an inch, but when it about to go backward, one side gets stuck and that's not a comforting view at all.

What I was thinking like about your version, that when the roof just lifts up an inch, 2 screws appear on each side, which seems to connect the glass to the frame. If you unscrew them, should be a 2 people job tbh as unbalanced pressure could break the glass, then THEORETICALLY the glass panel on its on comes out with only 2 small connector aattached to it. Theoretically.
You're correct, the panel comes out with the 4 screws out, nothing else holds it in.

Really? So it's kinda what Oldschool had in mind? Not sure how driving around would be without the front glass holding the rear panel.
Yes, both panels are just held in with 4 screws, however, there is about 15mm of movement in each of the holes for adjustment and they are an absolute pain to adjust correctly, so you wouldn't want to do it unless you have to. Even after doing 15+ roofs, the adjustment is still extremely time consuming for me and there's no method to it, just have to guess first time and then adjust relative to the guess.

Yes, both panels are just held in with 4 screws, however, there is about 15mm of movement in each of the holes for adjustment and they are an absolute pain to adjust correctly, so you wouldn't want to do it unless you have to. Even after doing 15+ roofs, the adjustment is still extremely time consuming for me and there's no method to it, just have to guess first time and then adjust relative to the guess.
If you say it its difficult, then better just to leave it alone. By the way, I came across the Mini Coppers sunroof motor and looks fimilar for sure.

Another thing, that their roof system is really fragile as well, most even broke only being few years old. Even the cable system looks similar with the double lining.

If you say it its difficult, then better just to leave it alone. By the way, I came across the Mini Coppers sunroof motor and looks fimilar for sure.

Another thing, that their roof system is really fragile as well, most even broke only being few years old. Even the cable system looks similar with the double lining.
The system is likely to be the same sort of system, a lot of cars use the same thing, but most of them don't break as easily.

Back