Manual Key functions not working

Mothan

Hi, after 6 months of troubleshooting using the superb advice on this forum I've finally drawn a blank. My key won't turn in the ignition and also won't open the driver door manually. The remote locking buttons still work though so I can get access. I only have one key, although by sod's law I've have just got the parts for two spares to be produced from ebay. So I don't know if it's just the key i have developing a fault or some other fault like the electrics. Would be grateful for any thoughts before I admit defeat! Also found a six inch crack in the windscreen this morning so it's not going well this week.....

Last edited:
Forgive me, I don't quite understand the question/fault. You have a key and it won't turn in the ignition and door lock?

Where in London are you?

Also just a note, if your not able to start and run the car, if your key is not able to open the door manually, you will need to make sure your car's battery is kept charged, using a mains type car battery charger, this is because if the car's battery fails, then you will not have any way to get into the car!

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep that's the problem. I'm in Kew so some way from Walthamstow - I need to get over to you for coding the new keys if i can get the engine going!

Yes I can do that for you. Are you not able to turn the key in the ignition at all, or will it turn sometimes?

Looks like you will need a new ignition barrel, door lock with the right key, or might even be able to get a new key cut at a locksmiths to work with your existing ignition barrel and door lock, as the blade might have been damaged somehow.

Cheers
Sarge

The key worked fine this morning but now won't budge at all in the ignition this afternoon but I haven't forced it and the blade looks undamaged. Since it also won't turn the door lock manually I thought there might be some other issue not related to the barrel e.g. an electrical problem with the car not recognising the key (transponder reading issue?) and blocking both the ignition and door lock. However I'm guessing and hoped another member recognised the problem.

You have a mechanical issue between the key, and both the ignition barrel and door lock, hence why I suspect a problem with the key blade itself, as your experiencing problems with both of them.

See the blade is clean along the cut paths on both sides, and try a 'little' WD40 in the ignition barrel and the door lock, and slide the key in/out several times, this may help a little. The door lock issue can be a red herring in your case as this lock is hardly ever used and can become stiff because of this.

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarge, thanks for the replies. WD40 hasn't done the trick yet, but the new blade is on its way so I'll give that a go as well.

Back