Max Mileage expected on 1.4 petrol

k7aus

What would be the mileage expected from a 1.4 Petrol based on oil and filter changes every 10,000 miles

As most cars are now 15 years old, the average mileage is circa 100,000+ How much longer would the 1.4 petrol engine last??

I know TDI's have been known to do 200,000+ but was wondering how the petrol version would fair?

Im assuming regular maintenance of other consumables like shock and brakes are part of the norm.

I’ve seen a couple still running fine at >150k miles.

I’ve not heard of any wearing out or going bang!

From the last 7 years of being part of the club, I've only ever seen them last around 200-220k miles before giving up.

TDI's tend to go on a LOT longer.

I think as it’s a fairly simple engine, like anything so long as it’s maintained well, will easily do 200k

This whole topic worries me!
So what we are saying is petrol engines are dead at 200k most of the time, diesels at what 250-300k max? This sounds like in 4-5 years time maximum we are all going to be chasing the same increasingly fewer low mileage examples or putting alternative engines in our cars! That or if you have a lowish mileage car use it very sparingly, unless your lucky enough to have the space and/or money to keep a few spares!

So what we are saying is petrol engines are dead at 200k most of the time, diesels at what 250-300k max? This sounds like in 4-5 years time maximum we are all going to be chasing the same increasingly fewer low mileage examples or putting alternative engines in our cars! That or if you have a lowish mileage car use it very sparingly, unless your lucky enough to have the space and/or money to keep a few spares!
I suppose much will depend on the owner's financial situation and attachment to their car. Assuming that it's engine wear which leads to the car becoming 'unfit for purpose', for want of a better phrase, I'm pretty sure that the engine could be rebuilt/reconditioned in order to give a new lease of life.

Petrol engines rev higher and tend not to last as long as diesels, the PD diesel is known to be an extremely reliable engine. The 1.4 is an Alu block I don’t know if that would reduce longevity but I see a number of high mileage examples so maybe this has little baring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mums 1997 vw 1.9 pd engine (same engine, one more cylinder) is at 350k miles, my uncle's audi pd engine is at over 500k miles. Looked after the diesel engines will run for a long long time.

Diesel also lasts longer than petrol due to diesel being a light oil so the injection system and cylinder bores are lubricated by the fuel. Whereas petrol washes the lubrication away.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

It very much depends on your annual mileage too. At my average 5000 a year my 'engine' will last another 17 years, perhaps a little less once its been turbo'd :p

Plenty of engines around, either replace or refurb, worth doing because we know the bodywork will last.

If I get a low mileage damaged FSI in, I plan to keep the engine at the back of my garage just incase.

Is the 1.4 petrol engine a relatively common VW group engine used by Polos, Skodas, SEATS and A2?
If so then replacing it is likely to be relatively inexpensive and straightforward.

Afternoon all,

My 2003 1.4 BBY made it to 257k miles before it gave up in February.

The engine was running beautifully and in the end it was the upper most toothed cog (cam shaft pulley?) that seized and stripped 9 teeth off of the belt. Engine cut out and I decided to not spend anything on it due to worrying about what further costs could be around the next corner. It owed me nothing and has served me very very well.

It was my daily commuter which covered 24-27k miles a year. Serviced every 10-12k miles and had a full belt kit every 2.5 years. I was so hoping that it would have made it to 300k miles which would have been this time next year.

I heard the signs of something not quite right when I left work the evening it gave in. I heard a dry bearing sound which stopped once warmed up so I ignored it as guessed it was the either the alternator clutch pulley or the drive belt tensioner failing. It was a Thursday and was going to take the Friday off to get it looked at/repaired. How wrong was I!

It cut out on me 12 miles away from home. If it managed the last 12 miles I’m certain it would still be on the road now as it would have been dropped off at my local independent garage the following morning.

257000 miles for a 1.4 Petrol engine is pretty good and know it would have gone further. Just keep on top of the servicing and DO NOT ignore any abnormal noises.

Kind regards,

Tom

There is also limited amount of work which can be done on the 1.4 engine. Rebore not possible neither is a crank out possible for any reasons

Last edited:
There is also limited amount of work which can be done on the 1.4 engine. Rebore not possible neither is a crank out possible for any reasons

Is rebore really not possible? This is from the Audi original workshop manual for the AUA 1.4 petrol.

1599917186008.png

200K life 'limit' gives Smurf (BBY) a 50 year life with Cheryl's current annual mileage! I think that should suffice.

My 2001 1.4 AUA is getting close to £236k purchased Jan 2010 @46k.
Recently installed BOSE via Timmus and it drives fine.
It would have been getting close to 250k but due to lockdown and WFH since early March it’s barely been driven. It has done 700 miles a week in the past and never ever broken down.
No major repairs either (touch wood) except oil pump at 186k and alternator during lockdown. Just normal servicing where everything is repaired incl advisories.
Drive them and enjoy !

It would have been getting close to 250k but due to lockdown and WFH since early March it’s barely been driven. It has done 700 miles a week in the past and never ever broken down.
Drive them and enjoy !

A couple of weeks ago I did 802 miles in a day in my 2001 AUA.....

Back