Mayonnaise and oil warning light

Hi folks - long time no post.
Strange issue and while there's old posts about this general topic I don't see my specific symptoms. I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose
  • Front flap dipstick always has mayonnaise. Not a lot, but if cleaned it returns after the next drive.
  • Back dipstick is always spotless.
  • No mayo on filler cap
  • Oil is new, good quality and at the right level
  • Coolant level consistent (i.e. doesn't drop)
  • Oil consumption seems normal
  • Car temperature sits at a steady 90 after about 10-15 minutes of driving
  • Oil pressure warning light comes on once the revs rise about 1500rpm.

Attachments

• 20230124_094004532_iOS.jpg
    20230124_094004532_iOS.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
  • 20230124_094241531_iOS.jpg
    20230124_094241531_iOS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 117
  • Screenshot 2023-01-24 100443.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-24 100443.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot 2023-01-24 100324.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-24 100324.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 133
The oil on the dipstick could very well just be condensation in the tube or a slight bit of water ingress. As for the oil warning light, have you changed the pressure sensor?

Hi folks - long time no post.
Strange issue and while there's old posts about this general topic I don't see my specific symptoms. I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose
  • Front flap dipstick always has mayonnaise. Not a lot, but if cleaned it returns after the next drive.
  • Back dipstick is always spotless.
  • No mayo on filler cap
  • Oil is new, good quality and at the right level
  • Coolant level consistent (i.e. doesn't drop)
  • Oil consumption seems normal
  • Car temperature sits at a steady 90 after about 10-15 minutes of driving
  • Oil pressure warning light comes on once the revs rise about 1500rpm.
Are your typical drives fairly short, say under 20 mins, and/or in stop start traffic?
Or, are they long, open road runs with little traffic?
Engines need to get hot, and stay hot to clear the condensation that is generated as the engine cools at the end of the drive. For this to happen, the first priority is for the thermostat to close once the engine has warmed up, so does the temperatures gauge get to 90 quickly and stay there?
Mac.

Reactions: mtl
Hi - yes, engine warms and holds at 90 degrees. no fluctuations in temperature. Mostly country road driving, a bit of pootling but at least 2 80 mile journeys a week.

Hi - yes, engine warms and holds at 90 degrees. no fluctuations in temperature. Mostly country road driving, a bit of pootling but at least 2 80 mile journeys a week.
No worries on engine temperature then.

I'd not delay the oil pressure sensor replacement, and, I'd get the oil pressure checked ASAP, better safe than sorry. It'd be a nuisances, (understatement), to fit the new one, and still have the problem, and possibly the serious consequences.
Mac.

I suspect the mayonnaise is down to the oil separator being clogged up. Has the car been PROPERLY serviced at the correct intervals?

Do not continue to drive the car until the oil pressure sensor is replaced, the oil pressure verified and the oil separator cleaned or replaced

I have had two more recent hydropneumatic suspension Citroens.... A GS - not a GSA and a BX estate.

If it is like the 1.6, the oil pressure sensor wiring is just "electrons holding hands" over thin air. It can snap of if you sneeze hard over it. Check the connector wiring at the base.
Bingo - the lead was not connected properly. I replaced the sensor with a new one anyway and the oil pressure warning light is out now. Will replace the oil separator (once I can source the part) and see if that helps the mayo. The car has a oily smell when idling in traffic that I believe is because of a leak around the oil separator, it would be nice if both are fixed by replacing that.

Swapped the oil separator. Old one had a lot of mayo-like gunk. Breather hose has had bodge repairs - anyone have the part number for these? What I'm seeing in various motor factors has the wrong ends on it...

Thanks @Andrew -that's really helpful. Looks like my type has 3 parts, each more expensive than the other :(. Easy to see why it was bodged.
If you have an AUA engine I think the breather hose is just two parts, item 35 and 36. Do you have more bodged than those? (I did this job some week ago)

Back